Pacific Rim the movie (2013) - Guillermo del Toro

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Toxicity

Re: Pacific Rim the movie (2013) - Guillermo del Toro

Hopefully it wasn't anything too embarassing. I just got back from seeing Pacific Rim, and it was cool as hell. I loved the choreography of the fights, everything felt like it had weight behind it but it was still pretty fluid. There were a few cases of the screen getting too cluttered and I had a hard time determining what the hell was going on though.

I'd definitely watch it again.
Wellman

Saw it and it is a great film, IMO has the best action scenes in any of the summer movies so far.

If you are going into this for the story, you should stop yourself because it is very much that of a summer blockbuster and to think it transcends that is to aim for disappointment. All the pilots and most of the characters are pretty simple.
Spoiler
Also once they reveal the Kaiju are part of an invasion force, did anyone else get the feeling of the 90s summer blockbuster, Independence Day? Because I did especially at the end with the self destruction necessary to close the portal.
Strike Zero

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God. That was awesome.
Spoiler
Pacific Rim was everything I hoped it would be: an hour's worth of 100 meter robots beating the ever living out of giant monsters with swords, cannons and rocket punches. It was glorious.

My only wish is that they had more battles in the day -- two of the three major fights took place at night in the rain, and the last one took place in the middle of the deep sea. Not to put too fine a point on it: "Can't see shit, captain!" I mean, you could, but everything would have looked so much better in the daylight! Arrgh!
Wellman wrote:Also once they reveal the Kaiju are part of an invasion force, did anyone else get the feeling of the 90s summer blockbuster, Independence Day? Because I did especially at the end with the self destruction necessary to close the portal.
Haha! I know, right? :lol: That last scene, and basically the entire concept of the aliens you could say was borrowed from Independence Day. Not that I mind, because Independence Day was a part of my childhood and I still look back on it with fondness, though I'm sure not many people are sharing my sentiments right now. :P
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
kayone73

Just returned from seeing it. Yes it was fun and for the most part it rocked.

Idris Elba is the man, pure man.

Rest of the characters were just archetypes that filled their role fine, and this wasn't the type of story that needed deep character development.

Del Toro's love of mecha anime, kaiju movies really shines in ways that hardcore fans will recognize. Big elements screamed Gunbuster and Evangelion along and fans of both shows will know what I'm talking about.

Midway thru the movie, I think I figured out why Del Toro created the whole 'Two Pilot' concept for operating the Jaegers, and I'm not talking about the technical 'in-universe' explanation but why GDT wrote it that way.

If you think about it, it's clear he wants Mako (the Japanese girl) to be the main character of this story and root more of the setting in her past and her rise to growing up as a young woman, she's basically Noriko from Gunbuster (who had a similar tragic past and raised by a substitute father figure type, Coach). And I can tell if GDT had full carte blanche with no Hollywood interference, she would be the main character and be piloting the hero mecha solo.

But obviously there is no way an Asian female is going to be the main hero in a Hollywood production of this story, hence 'Chris Hemsworth' lite was cast as the more familiar audience indentifier for American audiences, but to give her enough spotlight, she's made as 'co-hero' and thus the 'two pilot' concept was born. Then insert in-story technobabble to explain the need for this.
Wellman

I remember at some point a year or so ago, I did hear that Mako was supposed to be the main character. While that may have been the original goal, she does take a back seat toward the end, which sort of sucks.
sweet-d

Yeah I watched this at a midnight showing the other day and I liked it a lot. I didn't really like watching it in 3D but it was the only showing in IMAX they had. The only scenes I didn't like were the scenes in Sydney the didn't look very good. But I liked every thing else.

Spoiler
I also felt like Mako could have had a bigger role in this movie. I really wish she had more scenes and she at least talked more. But I did like the way her past with Stacker was revealed.
Francheska is a horrible colony.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I just saw this myself today, and it was definitely a great ride. It felt a bit cheesy/corny at times, but not terribly so. The best design of the movie was easily Striker Eureka, a slim, stylish, conservative design like the Huckebein series and Gundam Mark II. :wink:

Nice to see del Toro also succeeded at making tributes to Breast Fire and Rocket Punch. :)

Too bad though that nobody thought of putting the perfect Kaiju-killing weapons into the Jaegers' arsenals: A Revolving Stake/Bunker and Claymores. Or something like them. :D
Overlord Zaru

Loved this movie. The fact that Grown Ups 2 is doing better than this is appalling.

China, Japan, Europe, it's up to you. Save this series and ensure there is a sequel
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
angelwingzero

I don't know if they could do a sequel to this movie that wouldn't just be a re-tread of the first. It's just like G Gundam, they had the most epic (scalewise) Gundam Fight/Jaeger Bomb there will ever be. Anything set after that will just turn into a generic fighting anime with robots.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Strike Zero

Overlord Zaru wrote:The fact that Grown Ups 2 is doing better than this is appalling.
See, that's just what the haters want you to believe.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
kayone73

sweet-d wrote:Yeah I watched this at a midnight showing the other day and I liked it a lot. I didn't really like watching it in 3D but it was the only showing in IMAX they had. The only scenes I didn't like were the scenes in Sydney the didn't look very good. But I liked every thing else.

Spoiler
I also felt like Mako could have had a bigger role in this movie. I really wish she had more scenes and she at least talked more. But I did like the way her past with Stacker was revealed.
I would not be surprised if the edit of the film released in Japan had more scenes w Mako.
phillosmaster

2 thumbs up from me. I didn't think this movie was possible from within the Hollywood system.
Spoiler
When Mako engaged the sword icon I smiled so hard. Also Gipsy did a Rocket Punch :)
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Just saw the movie, as a kid back in the late 90s and early 2000s I never EVER IMAGINE something like this would be made

so happy, I hope this breaks even
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Sulendil Zeta

Strike Zero wrote:
Overlord Zaru wrote:The fact that Grown Ups 2 is doing better than this is appalling.
Still didn't change the fact that Grown Ups 2 did better in domestic (which I assumed it means US) market compared to Pacific Rim. Is giant robot genre that unpopular in US?
Chavelo

Well, in regards to Growns ups 2 doing better domestic. I think the American audience is writing it off based off Transformers and battleship experience. Plus it seem like their marketing came in a little late. Hopefully word of mouth can make up for it domestically. Because Hollywood tends to care more about that number then the whole.

In regards to another movie. I honestly hope for a prequel. With more countries represented in combat. But I don't mind if it's a sequel. GIVE ME MORE MECHA! Even my brother who isn't a mecha fan thought the various nations being represented was just really cool. But he was disappointed we didn't see more of them.

I truly loved the movie. It's what I dreamed of ever since I was a kid.
Berserker 8

Sulendil Zeta wrote:
Strike Zero wrote:
Still didn't change the fact that Grown Ups 2 did better in domestic (which I assumed it means US) market compared to Pacific Rim. Is giant robot genre that unpopular in US?
I've never really identified with this until after hearing grown ups 2 did better domestically than Pacific Rim. http://imgur.com/uPrirWw

Heres hoping that word of mouth propels it to better domestic numbers. Plus it still has a few major countries to debut in "France on July 17, Germany on July 18, China on July 31, and an August 9 release in Spain, Japan, and Brazil"
Amuro, Char, Spike, and Lelouch just have to be alive, they are alive right? , right... ?
AJQ32

I saw Pacific Rim last night. Kick @$$ movie. Definitely lived up to the hype. I really hope they either make a sequel or will take similar risks in the future.

It makes the movie of the year in my book.
Wellman

angelwingzero wrote:I don't know if they could do a sequel to this movie that wouldn't just be a re-tread of the first. It's just like G Gundam, they had the most epic (scalewise) Gundam Fight/Jaeger Bomb there will ever be. Anything set after that will just turn into a generic fighting anime with robots.
Eh, they could probably pull one off.

This Article mentions potential and interesting routes they could take (CONTAINS MASSIVE SPOILERS for the Movie), http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/featur ... sequel.php.

Besides, I imagine if you are going to have Giant Robo staples like Breast Fire and Rocket Punch, they should probably go full on Mazinger and have a Jet/God Scrander upgrade.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

the movie comes out in Japan next month

it should do very well since people have anime and all the mech shows compared to America

we will have to wait and see
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
hotlimit

I'm not what you'd call a fan of the cinema. I see maybe two movies a year, tops. But oh lawwwd, Pacific Rim was incredible. I wish Mako had played a bigger roll, but at least story-wise it made sense why she didn't (though I wish they had had her knock down the Australian dude when he was being a jerk, hhaha).