Transformers the movie thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Lert

Post by Lert » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:22 am

I just saw the movie. It was good ! But most of all, the Autobots felt Genuine. Not enough screentime for the Decepticons to get the same feeling about, though. Definately chance for a sequel .. And hoping for one, too.
Be alert. The world needs more Lerts.

wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 am

Lert wrote:I just saw the movie. It was good ! But most of all, the Autobots felt Genuine. Not enough screentime for the Decepticons to get the same feeling about, though. Definately chance for a sequel .. And hoping for one, too.
Yeah; this movie definitely kicked butt! :)

As for sequels; no production company would dream of turning down the opportunity to basically print their own money. It looks like not one, but TWO sequels may be in the works:
Wikipedia wrote: On May 30, 2007, Dreamworks greenlit two sequels to Transformers, and Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox and Peter Cullen signed on to return. Producer Tom DeSanto has envisioned a storyline introducing the Dinobots, Constructicons, and Soundwave. Writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman may not return, as "Star Trek... is taking up most of our time." Michael Bay has not signed on, "trying to keep some leverage for the negotiations", but already has ideas, including an aircraft carrier character. The producers expect that with a bigger budget and the special effects worked out, the Transformers will have a larger role.
:wink: We all know that Wiki isn't infallible, but the article I quoted contained links to several different sites, each suporting the claims.

Ravager

Post by Ravager » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:39 am

Actually, that's the reason why we've been discussing the Dinobots for a page or two now. We believe in their appearance :)

Is it ok if i buy any Transformers G1 cartoon VCDs or DVDs? The way Wikipedia describes them, they seem to have lesser quality than what it shown in the tv networks.
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!

wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Ravager wrote:Actually, that's the reason why we've been discussing the Dinobots for a page or two now. We believe in their appearance :)
:oops: Oops. I didn't read back on the previous posts far enough; sorry!

Is it ok if i buy any Transformers G1 cartoon VCDs or DVDs? The way Wikipedia describes them, they seem to have lesser quality than what it shown in the tv networks.
Yeah; the animation quality is pretty poor. :( When I first watched them, they were brand new (yep; I'm an old fart!). Back then, compared to all of the other After School animated shows (except Robotech), they were pretty spectacular. But when I check out the animation quality now, I can't help but wince. I guess I've been spoiled by how much the medium has improved. :)

A good Gundam analogy would be to compare the animation quality in the latest shows (Wing, Seed, O8th MS Team) to the animation quality of Gundam 0079. Like Gundam, the Transformeres animation seems to have improved over time.

If you want to buy some G1 Transformers animation, I recommend Transformers the Movie (the 1986 version). As for the G1 TV episodes, you would be better off renting them.

razgriz

Post by razgriz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:45 am

after seeing the movie again and gushing over my all time favorite starscream again i couldnt help but find something um funny...his face has a strangely familiar look to it
maybe its just me but
this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weibun76/663855165/

looks like it was a little inspired by this

http://www.botcon.com/pictures06/waspinator.jpg

it would be a nice beast wars homage if it were
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!

Thundermuffin

Post by Thundermuffin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:26 pm

There's a custom or two somewhere on the net of Movie Screamer painted as Waspinator.

solid snake

Post by solid snake » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:09 pm

I saw the movie yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. The Transformers were incredibly realistic. Maybe if this film is successfull enough we'll see more movies with giant robots in them.

That being said, I though the script could have used a little bit of work(Defcon Delta?). And what happened to Barricade, or the Mountain Dew machine, Xbox 360, and Escalade that were turned into Transformers?
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

razgriz

Post by razgriz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:31 am

those mini-decepticons that got formed from normal objects probably got wasted by the military and the police using small arms considering that it took the big guns to take out the likes of devastator (brawl) and blackout.
(setsuna giggling)

OpMegs

Post by OpMegs » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:41 am

Barricade's original script called for him to be trashed and killed by Optimus during the highway chase. You even see him driving behind Bonecrusher before the larger Decepticon begins his short-lived offensive. However, after that, we never see Barricade again. In the comics adaptation, he's destroyed there, but we see no indication of it. Furthermore, aboard the carrier dumping the Decepticons into the ocean, there's nothing that seems to be from him.

The going theory is that he got "Shaak Ti'd" to steal a reference from Star Wars.

Essentially, the original script(and the deleted scenes) called for the Jedi Shaak Ti(she's the bright red with white and blue striped horns one, btw) to be brutally executed in front of Obi-Wan and Anakin during the beginning of the film. However, Lucas took a liking to Shaak Ti, and thus she was officially declared to have survived her encounter with Grievous due to her increase in popularity with him.

Barricade may have similarly brought out enough personality(his "To Punish and Enslave" motto for one, as well as his totally straightfaced interrogation of Sam. "Are you username: ladiesman217?!") that the directors decided to let him survive the final battle instead, to bring him back later.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)

swordoath

Post by swordoath » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:59 am

Apparently, response to Barricade as a character became really positive as information about the film leaked out to the public. It's my understanding that he's considered to be alive in official film continuity now because of this. Hopefully they bring in Prowl in the next one and we have a blowout fight between the two. :D
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!

razgriz

Post by razgriz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:06 am

well he (barricade) did evolve from originally being prowl, so maybe i dunno, what could prowl be? a dodge avenger police cruiser perhaps?

lol i dunno why i thought this but wouldnt a garbage truck autobot be a great homage to the junkions? i think that would actually work too. he could be wreck-gar
(setsuna giggling)

Ascension

Post by Ascension » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 am

Wait, but wasn't one of the guys on the carrier at the end hauling a car door? That couldn't have come from anyone other than Barricade, because none of the other Decepticons were cars. I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked his character (especially the motto), but I don't see how he could have survived (even though we didn't see him die onscreen). 'course, if he did, that leaves us with a whopping three survivors on the Decepticon side! w00t! It's almost beginning to look like something other than a massacre... :lol:

I wonder if we'll see Scorponok again... Starscream's definitely going to be in the sequel, but I don't know about Scorpy... the Decepticons generally haven't been the biggest supporters of repair, and he was pretty badly damaged. He was also a little too environmentally specific... if the Decepticons don't return to the Middle East, they might simply consider his usefulness to be at an end.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.

swordoath

Post by swordoath » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:34 pm

I guess it depends on how strong his claws are -- meaning how hard of a material he can burrow through. In the game, he could only go into sand and dirt, but games aren't the best place to gain info. If he can burrow through solid asphault, we'll see him again for sure. That'd be a freaky image -- random Autobot takes it in the fuel tank from out of nowhere ...
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!

OpMegs

Post by OpMegs » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:40 pm

I dunno. I looked and looked and never saw the supposed car door. I saw a door from what looked like Blackout's helicopter mode, though.

Also, for Scorponok, the thing with him is that the movie IS intended to sell toys. If he's back for TF2, I suspect he'll have an entirely new form(hopefully with an actual robot mode this time).
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)

Thundermuffin

Post by Thundermuffin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Upon third viewing of the film, I can't exactly tell what that thing the soldier are hauling is...I initially thought it was part of car, but it looked like it could be part of anything.

Roberto Orci, one of the writers, said that Barricade's fate was left ambiguous to leave threads for movie 2 in a recent Q&A. So, I dunno if that's official or him just trying to make sense of it.

Paul McCartney Jr

Post by Paul McCartney Jr » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:10 pm

I just saw it and by god this movie was lame

Nightwing03

Post by Nightwing03 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:51 am

Can you actually give a reason why it's "lame"? you cant just critisise a movie without giving a reason why.
♣♦♠♥

SNT1

Post by SNT1 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:11 am

Eh, I'm a guy who never cared about Transformers (Prior to this Optimus Prime is the only bot I can distinguish), so as a non 80's Transformer's fan, I thought it was awesome.

Of course, it may have deviated from the Original (*design*cough*), so not everyone would like it.

But, the $375 million in worldwide earnings speaks for itself.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/

razgriz

Post by razgriz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:17 am

it wouldve needed to deviate from the original in order to have become as big as it did. be honest how would 80s megatron have looked in that movie, pretty silly i wouldve thought. now they turned megatron into probably his strongest- non unicron infused version yet. besides mr spielberg just has a knack for making objects that dont exist look as real as your hand. cough-jurassic park cough war of the worlds cough :wink:
(setsuna giggling)

Nagi

Post by Nagi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:40 am

Having finally seen the movie, I'd honestly give it a B or something thereabout, mostly because it bounced between two extremes depending who was on-screen. When the focus of the movie was on the Transformers themselves, and when it actually got serious and focused on the plot, it was an incredible experience that captured the essence of the original cartoon very nicely. The Transformers were very in-character and watching them was like reliving the very fondest childhood memories.

However, when the focus was on the humans, the movie went from great to suck, because the humans always meant one of two things: tooth-pullingly annoying comedy or "AMERICA! F**K YEAH!" The fact that the final battle was as much the US Army killing Decepticons as it was the Autobots killing Decepticons was a major problem in my eyes, because the movie is not supposed to be "America vs. The Iron Giant," it's supposed to be Autobots vs. Decepticons mano a mano. And that part with the Autobots at the Witwicky household was just painful to watch, because the whole thing made the Autobot team (who are supposed to be highest-ranking members of a centuries-old military force, right?) out to be complete buffoons with little relevance to the story. Yes, the original cartoon had cheesy humor in it, too, but when they're updating everything else for the big screen, the fact that they left that intact (and applied it to characters who were never originally comedy fall characters, like Prime and Ironhide) was extremely jarring.

And just what was the significance of the two hacker characters? They did nothing of significance that the script could've just had the military do in half the time. Two less humans to focus on so that we could get back to the Transformers themselves. Still, I really enjoyed the movie, all complaints aside, and I hope with the whole introduction out of the way, the sequel will actually do more in terms of the Autobots & Decepticons, and less in terms of irritating human melodrama and jingoistic over-glorification of our own military (which is fine for Army recruiting ads, but that's not what Transformers is and it has no place in Transformers, period).