Transformers the movie thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Nagi

Thundermuffin wrote:I'm not totally sure how they'll pull off Dinobots...giant metal dinosaurs don't exactly scream "disguise". And even if they went with organic, BW-esque Dinobots, they are STILL extinct organisms.

If they do Dinobots, I hope they don't do the whole "stupid cuz they're dinosaurs" thing. That never made any sense.
Dinobots would be simple. Just say they were modeled after those animatronic dinosaurs you see at museums and zoos, or animatronic movie props. Heck, if they did animatronic movie props, they could get away with throwing in all those 1980s dinosaur inaccuracies, like T.rex walking upright, and Brontosaurus being a valid genus, and all of them dragging their tails.

I also sincerely hope they don't do the "dumb because they're dinosaurs" thing, especially given that in the 20+ years since the original Transformers cartoon, paleontology has proven dinosaurs to be fairly intelligent, on par with most modern animals. Still, I wouldn't be against giving Grimlock his trademark speech pattern...they could just say his speech circuitry was damaged when he touched down on Earth. :lol:
Aegis

It's not like the concept of Dinobots being smart is anything new, anyways. It's one of the things I liked about the comic adaptations, in which all of the Dinobots were actually intelligent, and none of them with speech impediments save for Grimlock (which was explained away as being a result of damage or a virus). It was one of the differences the comics made that I did like, save for the occasional sudden Grimlock worship the writers seem to have.
swordoath

I could go for just Grimlock on his own if I had to -- the thought of the entire new cast of Autobots being the Dinobots in the next movie doesn't sit with me too well, even if they are my personal favorites. There are just too many good, movie-usable Autobots to fill up the ranks with them completely. Maybe the first three ...

I see their forms being done like Scorponok, except that they'll transform at some point.
Folken Fanel

I just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was pretty good. It mixed action and comedy together fairly well, and the fight scenes were pretty well done. The cell phone conversation during the fight with Scorponok(?) was classic.

I really didn't like the whole Jazz=gangsta thing. Besides, they kileld him off without giving him proper development. In fact, none of the Autobots got much development aside from Optimus and Bumblebee.

Any scene with Starscream kicked ass. He just popped in, blew everyone up, then transformed and got out. I really liked the fight between Optimus and Bonecrusher, but I have to wonder why Optimus didn't use that cool sword during his fight with Megatron.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
razgriz

my vision for a movie grimlock would be a triple changer, to go from humanoid robot to robotic t-rex to vehicle form of something equally brutish and bad*** say an A-10 warthog, which did a decent job in knocking scorponok around.

im in agreement with swordoath, ironhide rocked. he sorta stole the show for me, he had some great lines after the dog peed on him and when he was getting annoyed by sam's bickering parents. and speaking of pee, hehe i guess autobots do need to drain themselves of excess "lubricant" on occaision as bumble bee so displayed on the S7 jerk. that got the biggest laughs in my showing of the movie, well that and the um "happy time" segment
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Phantomexe87

Well according to wiki, (which unlike Gundam, is usually right for Transformers) claims Jazz will be back, which I don't doubt. As for dinobots, I guess I could see it, if they're working on the movie set of Jurassic Park 4, let's not forget that's another of Spielberg's projects, could be a good publicity stunt for it...
Nightwing03

Remember, you can't trust wikipedia for everything since it can be edited by anyone, Although i would like to see a TF 2 with dinobots, constructicons and soundwave :D
♣♦♠♥
razgriz

but the question beckons, what could soundwave be?
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Nagi

razgriz wrote:but the question beckons, what could soundwave be?
Really, as someone who understands the whole "mass shifting" gripe and wouldn't be opposed to some slight changes in some of the other Transformers, I think the only way they're ever going to do Soundwave justice is to grin & bear it, and just have a mass-shifting Transformer. They could just say that it's a new development or something that the Decepticons devised following the defeat of Megatron, to have Transformers capable of hiding their mass in much more compact forms.

Speaking of Jazz, I've heard that there's a new action figure out or something that has a bio on it explaining that he desired a newer, flashier form after being rebuilt, which turns out to be his G1 alt mode. I'm gonna venture a guess that he'll be back in the next movie in a much more familiar form, and that perhaps other Transformers will also begin to take on a more classic design through upgrades or something.
wing zero alpha

Nagi wrote:Really, as someone who understands the whole "mass shifting" gripe and wouldn't be opposed to some slight changes in some of the other Transformers, I think the only way they're ever going to do Soundwave justice is to grin & bear it, and just have a mass-shifting Transformer. They could just say that it's a new development or something that the Decepticons devised following the defeat of Megatron, to have Transformers capable of hiding their mass in much more compact forms.
Dude, relax. Michael Bay has already stated that there isn't going to be any size/mass changing in the Transformers movies, which is the big reason why Megatron doesn't transform into a gun like he did in the cartoon series. The writers have described the process as "cheating" in other interviews. As for what Soundwave turns into, my bet is a military reconaissance and surveillance vehicle, which fits Soundwave's combat profile just fine. It also keeps with the military theme of the Decepticons.
Speaking of Jazz, I've heard that there's a new action figure out or something that has a bio on it explaining that he desired a newer, flashier form after being rebuilt, which turns out to be his G1 alt mode. I'm gonna venture a guess that he'll be back in the next movie in a much more familiar form, and that perhaps other Transformers will also begin to take on a more classic design through upgrades or something.
That sort of cheapens Jazz's death in this one, doesn't it? To tell the truth, I don't think Jazz will be back. Just because Hasbro puts out a new toy for a Transformer doesn't usually mean that they'll be back in the media. For example look at all the unused designs from Beast Wars; one of the toy bios hinted that Grimlock would be around for the Beast Wars in a new Raptor form (really a repaint of Dinobot).
Nagi

wing zero alpha wrote:Dude, relax.
Relax about what? What makes you think I'm getting worked up about anything (other than being mildly insulted right now by your quoted remark)? I was merely stating an opinion; I didn't realize my opinions all came in raging hissy fits.

I simply said that I think the only way the film team's gonna make a Soundwave that the audience will take to is to fudge their restriction on mass just this once, though I fully understand their hesitation to do so (and to an extent, agree with it). Where you got that I was getting all in a huff about something, I have no idea (and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people just randomly jump on my case for "being worked up" when I'm absolutely, very clearly calm and rational). Just so you know, I tend to use italics and exclamation points when I am. :lol:
Last edited by Nagi on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
turkishproverb

Or they could have him transform from the stereo equiptment at some big concert.
Join Zeon: Victory by 0080
Ascension wrote:
turkishproverb wrote:Unless your Joe Quesada.
:lol: Ahh, Quesada. He is to comic book fans what Fukuda is to Gundam fans.
Nagi

turkishproverb wrote:Or they could have him transform from the stereo equiptment at some big concert.
Actually, having Soundwave made from a big pile of amps and recording studio equipment is the best idea I've heard yet that evades the whole mass issue. Kudos. 8)
Thundermuffin

Aegis wrote:It's not like the concept of Dinobots being smart is anything new, anyways. It's one of the things I liked about the comic adaptations, in which all of the Dinobots were actually intelligent, and none of them with speech impediments save for Grimlock (which was explained away as being a result of damage or a virus). It was one of the differences the comics made that I did like, save for the occasional sudden Grimlock worship the writers seem to have.
Yeah...Simon Furman's pet character, along with Galvatron and Nightbeat.

I think his official in-comic explanation for Grimlock talking that way was that he WANTED to talk that way to build an image of a surly, taciturn thug for himself. But yeah, I think those profile books that came out a few years ago just explained it as a "viral glitch".
wing zero alpha

Nagi wrote:Relax about what? What makes you think I'm getting worked up about anything (other than being mildly insulted right now by your quoted remark)? I was merely stating an opinion; I didn't realize my opinions all came in raging hissy fits.

I simply said that I think the only way the film team's gonna make a Soundwave that the audience will take to is to fudge their restriction on mass just this once, though I fully understand their hesitation to do so (and to an extent, agree with it). Where you got that I was getting all in a huff about something, I have no idea (and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people just randomly jump on my case for "being worked up" when I'm absolutely, very clearly calm and rational). Just so you know, I tend to use italics and exclamation points when I am. :lol:
Sorry, the whole mass changing argument has been gone over time and again, and you were giving me the impression that you were paranoid about it. That and going over your previous posts, you seemed to get edgy over the mechanics of a science fiction movie, which I find annoying in general (not you specifically); you know how hard it is to enjoy a movie when people pick it apart because it couldn't happen in real life? Anyway, the way I see it, these guys had the option of not going for a realistic approach, and that they could have made something cartoonish which hallmarked more to the 80s and easily gotten away with it; in fact, I'm sure there are many rabid fanboys that wish they did. But they didn't. That being said, I think you can cut them some slack in the physics department, to some degree anyway.
J.E.

For me it seems Blackout is playing the role of soundwave in the movie. He steals data, jams radar equipment, and doesnt speak too much and he ejected scorponok like soundwave ejecting his cassette tapes. But im not saying that he is soundwave. I'd like to see a new version of him in the sequels.
As for the dinobots, maybe theyll get disguised as one of those theme park attractions. But i'd rather see the constructicons/devastator. And ultra magnus.
Ravager

You know, since Starscream is prominently displayed escaping alone, maybe the next movie will initially feature him coming back to Earth and wanting to conquer it as the new Decepticon leader. So he creates his own troops, and it's obvious that's the perfect chance for the Combaticons to come in. Then Megatron comes back as Galvatron and he forces them back into his fold.
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!
Nightwing03

They could possibly turn him into an F-117 Stealth Fighter like in Transformers: Cybertron, but im guessing fans wouldn't really like the whole idea of that, since they probably want to keep that stereo/cassette player thing.
J.E. wrote:But i'd rather see the constructicons/devastator. And ultra magnus.
There was already Devastator, he was a Modified Abrams Tank, Michael Bay got his name mixed up and it was actually supposed to be Brawl.
♣♦♠♥
Jak Stoller

I loved the movie, but I have no love for Soundwave (Personaly, I thought if they were going to have him in the movie, they should have had him instead of Frenzy as the CD Player). The movie blew my mind, its so good to see well done live action mecha.

So we've got Starscream flying off, Scorponok gettin his tail blown off and hiding in the desert... I imagine we'd have Starscream comming back with a host of other baddies and kick the auto-bums around for a while, then some classic autobot characters showing up (I so want to see an Ultra Magnus...) and it climaxing (and cliffhanging?) with Megs showing up as Galvatron (fresh from the abyss with new Cube instored powers).

I wonder if we'll see a Unicron in this Transformers incarnation (though Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer already kinda did that for us this year)..

--Jak
Scyron

Nightwing03 wrote:Remember, you can't trust wikipedia for everything since it can be edited by anyone, Although i would like to see a TF 2 with dinobots, constructicons and soundwave :D

http://soundwavesuperior.ytmnd.com/ this is what I think of the constructicons, bring on tripticon or prediking if dinobots are introduced. I was thinking that when the all spark fell it really should have just introduced those machines then allowing for a sequel just as much.

Anyhow I want Galvatron with leonard Nemoy's voice and Cyclonus, maybe Hot Rod.