Carl Macek deceased

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Wingnut

Carl Macek deceased

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... asses-away

Best and most infamously known for his work on Robotech, the producer is reported to have died of a heart attack on Saturday. He was 59 years old.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
CaptainBright

Re: Carl Macek deceased

It's a strange thing that back in years past, people always hated Mr. Macek for creating the monstrosity(or blessing), that is Robotech. Now, it truly is sad that a prominent figure in the American anime industry has passed on.

May his soul rest in peace, and let it be known that there shall be no flaming for now.

P.S.: He apparently could have brought LotGH over here and give it a Robotech edit. Although it hurts me to say it(I just don't like to insult the dead, it's against my policy,unless of special circumstances), but thank goodness he didn't do it.
Propellant

God give peace to his soul.

I hear bad things about Robotech,but I also hear that he had to do it because no TV station would air Super Dimensional Fortress Macross as it was.
Dark Duel

I think I recall reading somewhere that the reason had to do with the episode count of SDF on its own being too short, so they cobbled together "Robotech" by rewriting Southern Cross and Mospeada so they could be shoehorned into the same continuity.
I dunno whether there's any truth to that though.

That said, rest in peace, Mr. Macek.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
DAG101

say what you will about Robotech, without Macek, Macross probably wouldn't be here at all.
Saikuba

I liked a lot of what he did with Dunbine, and I'm glad that Dunbine got a release with dub here in any case.

RIP
Vent Noir

Yeah, I still like Robotech, even with all the criticism levelled at it, and certainly appreciate Carl's efforts to bring anime to America.

...although I did get some amusement out of a suggestion on another board that three completely unrelated threads be merged in his honor.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
CidHighwind

I think Carl could have done much, much worse to Macross had he not localized it. Those were different times, in the 80s.
Blue 55

R.I.P Carl Macek you will be missed.(Salutes)
"Dear humanity we regret being alien bastards, we regret comming to earth, and me most certainly regret the corps just blowing up our raggedy azz fleet"
---
Bonesy!

I have mixed opinions about Macek, sadly, but I'm not gonna go OH MAN DEATH SERVED U HA HA HA or anything.

On one hand, he exposed a lot of people to anime for the first time. On the other, his involvement with Harmony Gold set the stage for them to be utter wanks in regards to Macross coming over and whatnot.