Comic Books (other than manga)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Vent Noir

Comic Books (other than manga)

Okay, is anyone else here a fan of comics? I want to try and get some conversation started.

It's shifted over time (and I've never followed a huge amount of titles from either publisher), but at the moment I'm just about exclusively following DC over Marvel. This is because...

1. I was (and still am) PO'd over Civil War. No, I'm not gonna "just accept it".
2. Recently, there's been nothing from Marvel I've found interesting.
3. DC has Gail Simone.

However, the previews for the new Avengers Academy title and the relaunch of Spider-Girl mean that there is finally something at Marvel that interests me again, so I'll probably give them another chance.

Over at DC, I'm disappointed that Gail's leaving Wonder Woman, but JMS taking over the title has me optimistic, and we are getting a relaunch of Birds of Prey, so it's not all bad.

So... does anyone else have any thoughts about comics?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
TheGoose

Re: Comic Books (other than manga)

I'm a fan of comics! Comics have a part of my life ever since I was a little kid. I didn't read them then (I mostly just looked at the pictures), but I have been reading a lot more of them since I was 14.

Usually, I've been a fan of DC since I just like their characters and their universe more than Marvel. It probably helps that I've almost always been a fan of Superman. However, every now and then I've bought some comics from Marvel.

I'm really into Green Lantern (my second favorite superhero) and have been attached to it since Hal Jordan came back in 2004. The other series I'm buying are minis like Superman: Secret Origin, First Wave, and Blackest Night. Maybe I'll try to read some of the other DC books. Though, I know that I'll definitely be trying out the new Zatanna series by Paul Dini, Adventure Comics and Legion of Superheroes by Paul Levitz, and Brightest Day, and Superman by JMS.

Over at Marvel, the only series I plan to really stick with, if I like it, is Secret Avengers by Ed Brubaker and Mike Deodato. I've enjoyed Brubaker's run on Captain America and like Mike Deodato's art (even if he draws Norman Osborn like Tommy Lee Jones).

Other superheroes I like are the Hulk (though I've stayed far away from Jeph Loeb's run), Legion of Superheroes (ever since I bought two of Paul Levitz's trades), and the X-men (I love the overall conflict of the series).
Fritz Ashlyn

MAKE MINE MARVEL

Okay, got that out of the way. I'm a big Marvel fan - don't read any DC books and I'm not really a big fan of any of their characters outside of Batman. My favorite Marvel characters are Spider-Man, Deadpool and Daredevil, although I must admit I don't keep up with new issues like I could. I enjoyed 80s and 90s runs of most of my favorite titles but the new Deadpool comics are good.

Gonna take this quick opportunity to plug my brother's Marvel RPG - the link is in my sig.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
DuelGundam2099

MAKE MINE MARVEL
Seconded, I'm a big fan of The Incredible Hulk, especially the Planet Hulk and World War Hulk stories although sadly I'm not up to date with Red Hulk after the death with I think was the Collector. I also own all 10 issues of Hulk 2099. In terms of essentials I own ones on Thor, Dr. Strange, The Avengers, Man-Thing, and even the 24 issue Godzilla series. Going to see if I can get ones on Iron Man and the Fantastic Four some time in the future.
Vent Noir

Yeah, I was mainly into Marvel when I started - I got into comics via the 90s X-Men cartoon. Like I said, I've shifted back and forth over the years.

In case people here haven't heard of it, I'll mention Atop the Fourth Wall (Where bad comics burn). Always entertaining.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
TheGoose

I'm sorta falling out of favor with Atop the Fourth Wall. I don't like the constant references to other media and the humor, itself, doesn't seem to make me laugh much anymore. I like the Spoony Experiment a lot more.
Oruma

Allow me to take a third stance: while I have a number of elseworld DC books (epics such as Red Son, Kingdom Come, The Dark Knight Returns), the one I'm currently following is Image's The Walking Dead.

That said, I'm gaining interest in the current Green Lantern Storylines (bascially Rebirth and onward), so I'm waiting keenly for the coming Brightest Day. :roll:
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
TheGoose

I've heard a lot of good things about Superman: Red Son. Can you validate them for me, please? :wink:

I've got the Absolute Edition of Kingdom Come and really enjoyed all the extra material it came with. Though, in the section where they point out all the little easter eggs, I think they forgot to mention one. When the Spectre shows Norman Green Lantern's emerald city, one of the sections of the city is clearly taken from the album cover of Electric Light Orchestra's Out of the Blue.
That said, I'm gaining interest in the current Green Lantern Storylines (bascially Rebirth and onward), so I'm waiting keenly for the coming Brightest Day. :roll:
I'm hoping once Blackest Night is over, we'll be taking a break from the emotional spectrum and the different corps that have appeared. I've really enjoyed what Geoff Johns has done, but I'd like to see something else that isn't connected to the emotional spectrum. I'm happy to hear that Johns will be bringing back some of GL's older villains (Evil Star, Hector Hammond, etc.) and introducing some new ones. I guess maybe we'll see some of that after the "New Guardians," arc that happens after Blackest Night.

Though, everyone has to be excited when Aquaman comes back, right? I sure am!

Side note: Did you know that Green Lantern #6's plot from 1960 is very similar to the comic series' Surrogates?
Mu La Flaga

For me it's Marvel stuff, I haven't actually kept up with like latest issues of like Marvel comics stuff.
But I have a mate I talk to on MSN alot when he gets new issues in or stuff and we discuss developments and all of those things in Dark Reign and all that stuff.
Iron Man, War Machine, Avengers, Spider-man, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, the X Teams and all of those good series.
ZeroBusterXX

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:MAKE MINE MARVEL

Me too.

My favorite comic is either X-Factor or Mighty Avengers. But, I've been really impressed with The Gauntlet story arc on Spider-Man. Fraction's work on Iron Man is also awesome.

The only DC titles I really read usually involve Booster Gold, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord, none of this Jaime Reyes shenanigans) and Guy Gardner.

So, yes, JLI is my favorite DC comic of all time. Especially Giffin and Maguire's run.
TheGoose

Heh, Guy's my second favorite Green Lantern. He can be a jerk, but he's always lovable. :lol:

I read the first four volumes of the old JLI run and have really enjoyed it. I love the all the relationships between all the characters. They all play off one another so well. Reading the stories make me miss Max Lord. I was alright with his turn to villainy, but I always liked his place in the League. The fact that the Justice League had a shyster manager like Max running them always makes me laugh a bit.

One of my favorite issues was the one where a bunch of D-list supervillians team up to form the new Injustice League. Major Disaster was my favorite since he acted a wanna-be Lex Luthor, always going on about his over-the-top speeches about how he'll destroy the Justice League.

It's also funny, in some weird sense, to see how some of the characters have changed over the years. I remember the issue where Guy and Ice went to a run-down theater, for a date, and ran into the old Green Lantern villain, Black Hand. Back then, he was just some loser who seemed a bit mentally deranged. Now, in Blackest Night, hes a completely deranged villain who's obsessed with death.
Blue Beetle (Ted Kord, none of this Jaime Reyes shenanigans)
I miss Ted as well, but I have heard good things about the Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle series.

I'm catching up with Amazing Spider-man right now. I didn't care for the opening Brand New Day arcs, but was slightly impressed with the New Ways to Day arc. So far, I got through the Electro and Sandman Gauntlet arcs. Great job showing how much a threat and how interesting these villains can be. I liked the Sandman one a little more since I felt more for Flint Marko and his daughter. Also, the art by Paolo Rivera was beautiful. I'd love to see more of his work. Reading these arcs make me want to get back on the Amazing Spider-man bandwagon.
Imperial

TheGoose wrote:I've heard a lot of good things about Superman: Red Son. Can you validate them for me, please? :wink:
Lovely little story

It works on two fronts, both for how it subverts and homages the typical DC universe and in all the fresh ideas it brings to the table. I liked that it tackled the idea of superheroes-as-super weapons, a plot point usually overlooked in a lot of superhero comics. Even if you strip away all the DC lore, it's an interesting commentary on the nature of ambition and xenophobia. It's not particularly profound, but it rises above the simplistic storytelling and jingoistic parodies one would expect of the "USSR Superman" premise.

The twist ending caught me off guard, enough that I feel it was a cheap grab at a "shocking" final revelation, but even that managed to be a fascinating idea despite the poor execution. I'd say pick it up.
This space for rent
Sleepneeded127

Marvel fan here.
Currently keeping up with Siege, Spider Man, Iron Man, Deadpool, and Thor with a few other here and there when i have time.
Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.
Volnixshin

I AM! I AM!
I'm a Marvelite myself. Though more recently I only read the Ultimate Comics Line(I still find it good) and the Noir series. I love the Exiles as well. I mean... I suppose just alternate dimensions fascinate me.

I was never really a DC fan. I just couldn't really get into the history or the plot. Though, like many others I find DC animated works to be shazam so I would watch that frequently.

<.< Man I wish I could go to Comic-Con...
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
ZeroBusterXX

Volnixshin wrote:I AM! I AM!
I'm a Marvelite myself. Though more recently I only read the Ultimate Comics Line(I still find it good) and the Noir series. I love the Exiles as well. I mean... I suppose just alternate dimensions fascinate me.
I applaud Ellis, Bendis and Millar for making the Ultimate universe enjoyable again after Ultimatum.

Hell, aside from one scene, even Loeb's Ultimate X has been decent so far.

I'm reserving judgement on New Ultimates until I read it though. The artwork by Frank Cho does make me want to read it.....
Vent Noir

Books I picked up this week:

Queen Sonja #5: Average, and maybe a bit anticlimactic. Nothing I really hated here, though.

The Guild #1: A good start. This is a comic based around the lives of a group of MMORPGers, but it's not a full-on comedy like, say, Knights of the Dinner Table. I found the main character of this issue quite likeable and sympathetic.

Power Girl #10: Power Girl's been a lot of fun all through its (admittedly short) run. I'm disappointed that the creative team's getting replaced soon, although I don't have the intense hatred of Winick that some fans seem to have.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Ryujin

Asides from DC titles with tomfoolery involving rings & rainbow colours, I've been following these currently-running titles:

DC:
Fables
Jack of Fables (got too meta for a while, but the original Jack's out of the picture now)

Elseworlds (whenever one comes out)

Dark Horse:
Star Wars KOTOR (recently concluded)
Star Wars Legacy
Star Wars Dark Times

Hellboy
BPRD
Conan

Marvel:
HUSK (when it comes out)
Blue 55

IDW:

Transformers
Gi Joe
StarTrek

Marvel:

Iron Man
Spiderman
Siege

DC:
Darkest Night
Batman
Superman
Green Lantern

Thats pretty much all I can keep up with at the moment....lol.
"Dear humanity we regret being alien bastards, we regret comming to earth, and me most certainly regret the corps just blowing up our raggedy azz fleet"
---
SkyRaider

I read mostly Marvel, the only outside things I read are the IDW Transformers series.

TF has been very disappointing in its time with IDW. The stories have been very average and often just rehashes of older stories. The single issue "Spotlights" have been better than any of the ongoing or miniseries they have put out. Even the art has often come across as lackluster.

For Marvel I follow mostly Iron Man, who has been totally getting crapped on since the beyond horrid Civil War story. Despite critical acclaim I (and many other long time IM fans) have been thuroughly unimpressed with Matt Fraction's run on the title. Things seem to be set up after Siege though for Iron Man to finally be back to his old, cool self.

I've been getting Dark and New Avengers which have both been decent but unspectacular. For being a bunch of bad guys, the Dark Avengers didnt really do anything the regular Avengers didnt do. New Avengers have been on the run for about four years now and its gotten old.

Tried collecting the Red Hulk series but when it became an excuse for throwing punches I gave up on it.

I'm looking forward to the Heroic Age, hoping it will go back to comics being adventurous rather than constantly tackling political issues and being dark and serious.
Vent Noir

Got the first Batgirl TPB off Amazon. I wasn't into the Batman books when Cassandra Cain was introduced, but after finding out about her, she seemed like a character I'd like. Unfortunately, now a lot of the TPBs are out of print and I have to hunt them down online.

On the bright side, I know about and can avoid the storyline where she turns evil.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter