New generation of gundam in comparison to old

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
andyx181x

New generation of gundam in comparison to old

Lately I been finishing up the UC era as right now I am half way threw in watching V gundam, afterwards i proceeded to look up on the Gundam OO movie trailer and I realized video games on gundams have been too kind in adjusting the abilities of gundams.

By that I mean can truly lets see Zeta, Nu, Victory 2, Wing Zero, Turn A really have a chance with newer gundams like the strike freedom and OO Riser? I ask this cause this of course falls under what was considered hardcore action at the time the anime was done, now in this presence age animators are more bold and daring to take action to a whole new level.

Is it truly fair that our veteran gundam pilots (by year the show came out) really be able to hang toe to toe with the newer generations? Has the theory on technology gone to such epic proportions that a newtype can not react as fast to even a MS from OO with a trans am system?

Part of me as a big gundam fan am impresses that the animators take these machines to new limits, another part of me feels sad cause I don't believe older mechs may have a fair fight to the newer ones. Reminds me how a lot of people loved the fighting and light saber battles in the 1-3 episodes of star wars, and criticize the way 4-6 when they came out in the 70's.

Then again of course I don't believe good guys would ever fight each other without a conversation asking who they are, just I guess its envy as an older gundam fan seeing maybe in a way our favorites being forgotten to a newer generation as we point out similarities to story and mechs in the newer shows.
ShadowCell

Re: New generation of gundam in comparison to old

...uh, what is the point of this thread?
AceWhatever

It's a subliminal versus thread. Kill it with fire. :twisted:
quasadra

andyx181x wrote:By that I mean can truly lets see Zeta, Nu, Victory 2, Wing Zero, Turn A really have a chance with newer gundams like the strike freedom and OO Riser?
well it there you have it. kill it with fire indeed.

and to answer the OP. NO. they will collapse onto them self for existing in another reality. end of story. :wink:
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
ShadowCell

I kinda thought it was a versus thread, but I'm not sure, so I'll let him explain before I make with the fire.
Imperial

It seems to be a reflection on Gundam seasons upping the ante with increasingly outlandish machines rather than an outright versus thread.

That said, I think it's inevitable. As animation technology improves, it will be easier to render sweeping, epic battles. Sure, the Exia and pals could have fought like Zakus, but that's not as exciting to see in motion. It's easier to pull an audience in with fast-paced, high-stakes displays of mobile suit madness than the comparatively staid, glorified-tank ethic of 0079.

If you've got it, flaunt it.
This space for rent
DuelGundam2099

By that I mean can truly lets see Zeta, Nu, Victory 2, Wing Zero, Turn A really have a chance with newer gundams like the strike freedom and OO Riser?
No love for Devil Gundam or Double X Gundam?
It's easier to pull an audience in with fast-paced, high-stakes displays of mobile suit madness than the comparatively staid, glorified-tank ethic of 0079.
True, but that all depends on who the intended audience is; some people prefer strategic real time combat with challenging decisions while some people like epic explosions and destruction (I personally like both types).
Bonesy!

in japan there has been a shift in demographic regarding mech shows, more women watch mech shows than ever before with men flocking towards moeblob shenanigans instead
Jaden Hathaway

Also, the style used in 0079 and the older U.C. series when Gundams had to actually fight their enemies like the Zaku II and the Hizack were more.. realistic, in comparison to SEED and 00 when the 'fight' lasts less than 3 seconds.. especially with SEED's funnel copy, the DRAGOON system.. for anyone who's seen Unicorn, I see the funnel system used in that to be more accurate to what it would be like, instead of a single beam hit to a MS torso (or head/arm/legs in Kira's case) like in SEED and DESTINY.

Plus MS had a reason to be designed and constructed in U.C. regarding Minovsky particles and the rendering of long-range warfare unusable (this is correct, right?), while New Age Gundam series don't really explain why they were even built, they sort of just.. plop them in there.. or, I may have just missed something that pertained to something deeming armed fighter craft unusable due to lack of radar-guided weaponry?

~to add two more comparisons in Old Age Gundam to New Age.
Bonesy!

SHIFT IN ANIME DEMOGRAPHIC
thatdudeberto

I think the new direction that the gundam series is trying to go for is first of all making the gundam as a concept more realistic by incorporating things like solor reactors and super nuclear genterators. This allows us, the viewer to experience a faster more action pact show than the gundam of the first generation. It also a slight window to the possibility of making gundams real for the view. Though unlikely that we will see that type of technology in the next 50 or even 100 years. It gives fans more realism when watching or atleast thats what I think.
Bonesy!

Bonesy! wrote:SHIFT IN ANIME DEMOGRAPHIC
bishies, plothax, androgyny, highly insane and inane faketechnology as opposed to not nearly as insane and inane
ZeroBusterXX

andyx181x wrote:
By that I mean can truly lets see Zeta, Nu, Victory 2, Wing Zero, Turn A really have a chance with newer gundams like the strike freedom and OO Riser? I ask this cause this of course falls under what was considered hardcore action at the time the anime was done, now in this presence age animators are more bold and daring to take action to a whole new level.
Um.... Turn A is more than a match for like, every MS ever made. Unless 00 Quanta or Strike Freedom get insane nanomachines or any of Turn A's amazing powers, then that's not gonna change.

The only thing that's really changed about Gundam over the years, is that the people look prettier and the animation is nicer.

That and the model kits are better.
Geoxile

On the contrary. Newer shows use the same mumbo jumbo as the older shows except they label the surface mechanics with real processes or machines or claim that their technology is derived from modern technology. I find it hard pressed not to call it a facade especially considering how the newer Gundams are even further detached from anything like reality. I prefer the old by far, though that is to say, 00 was great. It used its own fictional technology and for the most part had its own storyline to follow. While nowhere near believable, it was a fun experience as a work of entertainment. I can't say the same for its predecessor >_>
Speakeasy

andyx181x wrote: By that I mean can truly lets see Zeta, Nu, Victory 2, Wing Zero, Turn A really have a chance with newer gundams like the strike freedom and OO Riser? I ask this cause this of course falls under what was considered hardcore action at the time the anime was done, now in this presence age animators are more bold and daring to take action to a whole new level.
Let's see... is Zeta going to match up against Nu? Is Nu going to match up against V2? Technology improves with passing time, even (and especially) within the same universe. That's why you should never look at things irregardless of context.
Propellant

ZeroBusterXX wrote: The only thing that's really changed about Gundam over the years, is that the people look prettier
Not sure about that.I for one find Yas' designs far prettier than recent ones.Maybe it's just me preffering the rounded,more natural curves of older character designs compared to the edgier ones of the newer designs.
andyx181x

I honestly didn't expect the thread to get this far after seeing shadowcell ready to tear it down, I wasn't starting a vs. thread but more of i felt sad (yes lame over anime) seeing that while we have our old school faves: UC era take your pic, and either AC era and such and the newer generation of gundam essentially robbing the elements.

I'm not saying Seed or OO hasn't had any original ideas and the new animation and action is insane, buts its like wheres the kudos or thanks for the obvious representations they were based off. I'm not starting a comparison debate either but its obviously out there that sunrise and bandai "borrowed" a ton of things from the 0079 and Zeta for Seed and Seed Destiny, and OO "borrowed" some things from Gundam Wing. What got me in a gripe was how even in video games our older mech faves even stand a chance with the newer generation, they are "prettier" units with more weapons and abilities at the time of the 90's that animators could have thought of.

Just feels like the older series are kinda dying out and being heavily taken over by the newer, i mean its good in a way since gundam is still thriving but idk it just sucks that more and more fans are forgetting the originals. I just wonder how much farther this will be taken to the point that seed and OO become the new standard for all comparison, thats all I'm saying.
Jaynz

Eh, most of the story of UC has been told, so OF COURSE they'll branch out to other series for Gundam, and that's fine. It worked for SEED, less so for others, naturally, but it definately can be done.

But comparing powers? Turn A was about as close to 'magic' as you can get while still following Star Trek: Voyager's definition of technology. G Gundam was all about martial arts being 'oh my God, amazing' (and was a deliberate riff on a lot of other anime series of the time).

Coming down to 'realistic' series, you get a steady progression of technology through UC, culminating in the Nu Gundam, so of COURSE the Zeta, Double Zeta, etc, are going to be inferior.

Wing gives you the Wing Zero and Wing Zero Kai, each with Plot Device Weaponry (TM), though not too far off the mark with the other Gundams shown. SEED, of course, has a steady progression in tech, culminating in the Destiny, Infinite Justice, and Strike Freedom.

As for the styles, I'm actually not fond of the look of 00, and find myself gravitating to SEED's overall design aesthetic. But that's purely a matter of taste and not an issue where you can say 'yeah, this one is better' like it was more than just opinion.
Speakeasy

andyx181x wrote:ust feels like the older series are kinda dying out and being heavily taken over by the newer, i mean its good in a way since gundam is still thriving but idk it just sucks that more and more fans are forgetting the originals. I just wonder how much farther this will be taken to the point that seed and OO become the new standard for all comparison, thats all I'm saying.
That point of view is only true if you think more powerful=more popular. Model/action figure sales clearly says otherwise. Just take a look at how many MGs were made for UC suits and how many are for alternate centuries.
Jaynz wrote:Coming down to 'realistic' series, you get a steady progression of technology through UC, culminating in the Nu Gundam, so of COURSE the Zeta, Double Zeta, etc, are going to be inferior.
Um, the UC technology actually culminated in the Victory 2. Nu was just about the halfway mark chronology wise.
Jaynz

Speakeasy wrote:Um, the UC technology actually culminated in the Victory 2. Nu was just about the halfway mark chronology wise.
My fault, I completely spaced on Victory, having not yet seen it and having JUST finally seen Char's Counterattack.

I think my point stands, though... :)