What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Vent Noir

Re: What books are you reading?

Okay, had a bit of a hard time getting into the Twelve Kingdoms novel to start with (but at least it didn't have Soul Bro's Man Taiki in it this time), but once I got engaged I really liked it.

Up next, I'm gonna continue with Kylie Chan, starting with the first book in the Journey to Wudang series, Earth to Hell.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Vent Noir

Earth to Hell was as good a read as the original series, although a certain character's fate was disconcerting. I'll be eagerly anticipating the next book, Hell to Heaven.

Up next, Heist Society by Ally Carter. Bet you can't guess the genre from the title :wink:
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
mcred23

I finished Mass Effect: Ascension, which was pretty good. The ending felt a bit sudden, but I think that a third novel is coming out in June or something like that, so it may be setting up the next one. Still, very cool, like the first one.

I've moved on to The Black Sheep by Bruce Gamble, which is about the infamous Black Sheep Squadron. The last time I read this book was 2001, so it's basically all new again. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Vent Noir

Okay, Heist Society was okay, but nothing special.

Up next, The Heart of Valor by Tanya Huff, the next book in the Confederation series that I mentioned back in my original post. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it as much as I did the first two books.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

DAG101

Finished the new Stephen King, now I'm trying Anathem again. It's a lot harder to understand after two or three months of not reading it.
wraith1701

Vent Noir wrote:Okay, Heist Society was okay, but nothing special.

Up next, The Heart of Valor by Tanya Huff, the next book in the Confederation series that I mentioned back in my original post. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it as much as I did the first two books.
The Valor books are pretty cool.

I've recently discovered David Weber's Honor Harrington books, and I'm loving them. The ship battles are very gritty & exciting, and they are written as though they actually take place in space. They read like actual naval battles instead of cartoonish dogfights. Many of the scenes feel like they could be taking place in the Gundam universe; just replace Minovsky Particles (or GN drives) with Impeller technology.

If you are a fan of Military sci-fi, these books are definitely worth checking out.
Dark Duel

Currently reading Corsair, from Clive Cussler's The Oregon Files series - my second-favorite of his book series, after the original Dirk Pitt novels. (Somehow, I don't like the Kurt Austin books quite as much, though I still love 'em - Cussler's one of my favorite contemporary authors)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Aegis

Rereading Star Trek: TNG Q-Squared. I just like Peter David's style of writing, and I do like his take on Trelane.
Vent Noir

wraith1701 wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:Okay, Heist Society was okay, but nothing special.

The Valor books are pretty cool.

I've recently discovered David Weber's Honor Harrington books, and I'm loving them. The ship battles are very gritty & exciting, and they are written as though they actually take place in space. They read like actual naval battles instead of cartoonish dogfights. Many of the scenes feel like they could be taking place in the Gundam universe; just replace Minovsky Particles (or GN drives) with Impeller technology.

If you are a fan of Military sci-fi, these books are definitely worth checking out.
Yeah, the Honor Harrington series has been on my "I'll get around to reading it someday" list for quite a while now.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

wraith1701

Aegis wrote:Rereading Star Trek: TNG Q-Squared. I just like Peter David's style of writing, and I do like his take on Trelane.
Man, Peter David kicks a$$! He's my favorite Trek fiction writer, hands down. Have you checked out his New Frontier series? Very fun reading.
Vent Noir wrote:Yeah, the Honor Harrington series has been on my "I'll get around to reading it someday" list for quite a while now.
The series was on my "to read" list for a while as well. People kept talking about how great it was, so I finally bought the first book On Basilisk Station three or four months ago (the latest paperback edition is pretty cheap, probably to entice folks to give it a try). I finally cracked it open last month, and I haven't looked back since.
Aegis

wraith1701 wrote:
Aegis wrote:Rereading Star Trek: TNG Q-Squared. I just like Peter David's style of writing, and I do like his take on Trelane.
Man, Peter David kicks ZOINKS! He's my favorite Trek fiction writer, hands down. Have you checked out his New Frontier series? Very fun reading.
Most definitely read some, if not all the New Frontier series. I just love the whole cast, including the occasionally annoying Si Cwan. And then we have Kebron, who now just can't seem to shut up. ^^
DAG101

Right now, Year of the Black Rainbow, by Peter David and Claudio Sanchez.
mcred23

I finished Black Sheep Squadron a day or two ago, and it was actually better than I remembered. After that, I couldn't decide what I wanted to read next, so I just basically said "Oh, what the heck..." and decided to read the Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy again. :mrgreen:

Arbiter GUNDAM

Right now I'm reading Millennium Falcon, which outlines that famous ship's whole history. Although I take serious issue with the post-ROTJ SW books, this one's not bad.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Vent Noir

Gotten to the end of The Heart of Valor now, and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first two books in the series. I'll definitely be picking up Valor's Trail.

Up next: Melting Stones by Tamora Pierce. Pierce has long been one of my favourite authors, although I prefer the Tortall books to the Emelan ones. I was actually hoping to hunt down the audiobook for this, since that's what it was originally written as, but I'll make do with the paper version.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Arbiter GUNDAM

Finished reading StarCraft Dark Templar Trilogy Book 1: Firstborn
I found it interesting that they gave Arcturus Mengsk a son in this.

Can't wait for StarCraft II!! :mrgreen:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Vent Noir

Finished Melting Stones, which I enjoyed. Next up, the next book in theKris Longknife series, Undaunted.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

charlhussey

I am currently reading a very good book "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" penned down by J K Rowling. She has written about 6 books of this series. This is very interesting books. I read all books of this series.
mcred23

After the MSG novels, which haven't changed a bit (Still loved and hated the same parts), I went and finally read If You Survive by George Wilson. It's an account from an officer in the 4th Infantry Division who goes in as a replacement shortly after D-Day and is with the unit through France, the Hurtgen Forest, the Battle of the Bulge, and into Germany. I first learned of the book years ago, when it was used as the basis for a excellent level in the original Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord game. Short version of events: It was exactly what I expected and I really enjoyed the book.

Anyway, I just started reading William Craig's Enemy at the Gates, about the battle for Stalingrad. I saw the movie based on it years ago, and honestly, I wasn't even aware there was a book until a few months ago, or that it covered the entire battle and not just the snipers, so I'm looking foward to getting into it.

MechaGear

Just finished The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman. Excellent Vietnam-era sci-fi novel about interstellar war, relativistic physics, power armor, culture shock as a result of the "twin paradox," love, loss, and so on. Basically an anti-war response to Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Thought it was great. I'm sure you guys have all heard of it, but in case you haven't, check it out!!