What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Momaru

Re: What books are you reading?

I've been reading a string of crime novels. I'm reading The Yiddish Policeman's Union right now, and am going to read part 3 in a trilogy, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest after that. Oddly all 4 books are set in cold climates and are centered around conspiracy theories.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Inferno

Sadly, I am swamped in my school's required reading, so I currently am stuck in the aggravating Fountainhead. Now, rather than sound like the average lazy schoolkid, I dislike the fountainhead for actual reasons: The characters act inconsistently and erratically, and the book ignores any hint of subtlety in favor of outright preachy-ness.

On the plus side, I also get to read The Great Gatsby, which I hear is far better.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I have just finished the book Things Fall Apart, which was great and I await the sequel Things Come Back Together (joking!). I am now starting on King Lear, because I am a huge fan of old man shakespear! Before this I finished Hamlit and at the start of this lovely summer I finished Macbeth. Thus endith my response.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
His Divine Shadow

Soma Taozi wrote:I have just finished the book Things Fall Apart, which was great and I await the sequel Things Come Back Together (joking!). I am now starting on King Lear, because I am a huge fan of old man shakespear! Before this I finished Hamlit and at the start of this lovely summer I finished Macbeth. Thus endith my response.
I recommend Titus Andronicus if you haven't already read it. It's my favorite of Shakespeare's works.
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
Soma Taozi

Not yet! It is my goal to one day read all his epic plays. However, my favorite is still by far, Hamlit. There was just something about it that was simply amazing. Although Hamlit being named after his father did get a little confusing at times. :)
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
solzen blue

Almost finished reading Cyteen, by CJ Cherryh. Really an underrated book, in my opinion. Especially good for those of you who like the concept of clones, and genetic manipulation. Only drawback seems to be she drags on a lot, and you have to speed read through some sections if you want to move on with the plot. Really could have used a proper editor, and cut back on a lot of the politics... nevertheless, I'd give this a 4.5/5. One of the few books that's held my interest in a long while.

Still on the hunt for that elusive 5 star space opera though... can't ever seem to find one that I like...
His Divine Shadow

solzen blue wrote:
Still on the hunt for that elusive 5 star space opera though... can't ever seem to find one that I like...
The elusive 5-star space opera you seek is the Jurisdiction series by Susan R Matthews, which is top-notch work. Barring that, because the first one of the series (An Exchange of Hostages) is a tad hard to find these days, I highly recommend the Warchild, Burndive, and Cagebird trilogy by Karen Lowachee, all of which I found most engaging.
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
mcred23

As I continue with my charge through the Tom Clancy books, I finished The Cardinal of the Kremlin yesterday. Prior to that, I read Patriot Games and The Hunt for Red October, which were as excellent as always. Cardinal was better than I remember it from years ago, and for whatever reason, I found it a lot more interesting this time around (Maybe for all the characters in it that pop up again later in his books).

With that down, I'm now up to Clear and Present Danger, yet another classic I love but haven't read in a few years, so I've forgotten most of the lil' details of it. After that in the series is The Sum of All Fears, which I last read about a year and a half ago, so I remember a bit more of it, but that is one book I always seemed to have mixed reactions to in the past, so I'm looking foward to getting back to that one.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Arbiter GUNDAM

Reading StarCraft: Liberty's Crusade, which Chronicles the events of the Terran Campaign form SC1 and fleshes it some more. Also, I think it makes Mengsk's betrayal of Kerrigan a little more dramatic.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Deathonator

Just finished Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. Miffed I didn't bother to try and look for the other three books in the series at the Library, and that none near have them -anyhow- so it looks like if I want to finish it up, I have to buy three books. So far I do enjoy the fact that the main character's main squeeze isn't some blond bombshell that makes all the men swoon...instead, she's kind of rude, disfigured and incredibly self conscious about it. Granted, there are three books I have yet to read so that could all change...I'd be heavily disappointed if it did though.
Inferno

solzen blue wrote: Still on the hunt for that elusive 5 star space opera though... can't ever seem to find one that I like...
Try to find an English version of Legend Of the Galactic Heroes.

Almost done The Fountainhead. Next up: The Great Gatsby!
Soma Taozi

Now I have finsihed most for the works of Shakespear...I am now reading the His Dark Materals Trilogy, which is one of the most fancinating and interesting series I have ever read. Really, they are just amazing.

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dark Duel

One of a series of French crime novels set during the reign of Louis XVI. Interesting stuff. The main character is a police commissioner with a teenage son whose mother is a reformed prostitute now working in England as a spy, and was one of the main character's various mistresses. He himself is good friends with his boss, a number of influential members of the King's cabinet, the King himself, a couple of doctors, awide array of useful informants gleamed from the scum of Paris's underbelly, and the executioner.

Pretty fun stuff so far.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
liubei013

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Reading StarCraft: Liberty's Crusade, which Chronicles the events of the Terran Campaign form SC1 and fleshes it some more. Also, I think it makes Mengsk's betrayal of Kerrigan a little more dramatic.
Hmm...yeah, I agree. The buildup was done with a bit more depth as 'we' get to see more of how Mengsk and the others were like. It's probably my favorite out of the few SC novels that came out (and that I've read).

Reading "Storm Front: Book One of the Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher at the moment. Main character's a wizard kinda doing PI type work in Chicago. I recall there being some TV show, though I've heard mainly negative remarks 'bout that. But the book itself is a pretty interesting read thus far.
DAG101

The Dresden Files books are good. In my opinion, the first was actually weak compared to the sequels; it wasn't bad or anything, but once you get into the books that follow, everything gets better.
Dollow

I am reading Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara, it's the last in the three Civil War books, it a little shakey as it was Shaara's first book, but in the latet books that he does get better.
Last edited by Dollow on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
DAG101

Currently reading Ice Station, by Matt Reilly. Very good, very actiony; my ex was right, I do like it.

I also read the first Scott Pilgrim book last night, it was pretty good. Plus, the Canadian location is pretty cool.
Vent Noir

Finally got to the end of The Stepsister Scheme. This was a lot of fun, although distractions meant I took a long time to get through it.

I'm now onto Mockingjay, the final book in the Hunger Games trilogy.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
mcred23

I finished The Sum of All Fears about a week or so ago, and it was actually a bit better than I remember it being. The first few times I had read it, it had always struck me as somewhat darker (Largely cause of the way Ryan is for much of the book) than it did this time around. Also, the pacing seemed better. My biggest issue with it in previous readings seemed to be how it took so long for the main event of the novel, nuking the Super Bowl, to finally happen, and how the rest of the book felt rushed, but I didn't have that reaction this time. The last chunk of the book, basically the last 200 pages, seemed to flow better this time around, for whatever reason, so I was quite happy with that re-read.

Right now, I'm actually about two-thirds done with Debt of Honor, which is also turning out to be better paced than I recall it to be, although I remember it fairly well simply because it's one I've always remembered, and I last read it only a year and a half or so ago. When I finish it, which should be by next week, if not this one, I'll go right into Executive Orders, which literally picks up minutes after Debt of Honor ends, and I expect I'll have the same general reaction to it (Pacing seeming better, still enjoying it quite a bit). After that in the series is Rainbow Six, which is one I skipped in my previous run through the Tom Clancy books in early 2009 for some reason. However that may end up getting delayed for a bit, as I'm taking American Literature Since 1900 this semester, and I know I'll have to read a book or two for that. I'm also taking a(nother :mrgreen:) history class this semester and I'll have to do what is basically a glorified book report for that class at some point, so Rainbow Six may get put aside for a bit depending on when I get to it/where I am in school.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Wedge14

Heh, I haven't read a novel in yeaaaaaaaars!!! Sad I know I think the last novel i read was one flew over the cuckoo's nest. I still read a lot though. I buy a lot of books about carpentry, electronics and luthier stuff. It's my hobby haha. So i'm reading this thing!
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!