Some help needed for friend's project

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Charismatic Enigma

Some help needed for friend's project

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section to put this, but if it is not, wouold a mod please move it where it'd need to be?

Okay I need some help for an idea of a story my friend is working on. Her idea goes along this line. The setting is a world ala Sera from the Gears of War universe, with two major superpowers, one that is based on the old USSR and the other based on the European Union. Now the plot focuses on an anti-proliferation group that functions like Gundam 00’s Celestial Being.

First thing help is needed on is the name of the organization. I had suggested Philanthropy, but she didn’t like it, saying it “wasn’t strong or enigmatic enough”. That and I then remember that it was already used in Metal Gear Solid 2. If anyone would have an idea for a name for the organization, please don’t hesitate to put forward suggestions.

Second, she plans to introduce a weapon that is similar to the Automatons from Gundam 00 season 2. To add a psychological warfare element, she has the idea for them to emit certain animal sounds at certain times. The only idea I had to offer her so far is that when the machines are “injured” they start to blare out the sound of wounded rabbits. Where help is need here is that animal sounds would be best for when they are “stalking” and when they attack. Again if anyone has ideas, please just go right ahead and put them forward.
"Aaahh!"-The last words of many a mobile suit pilot.
Antares

Re: Some help needed for friend's project

Hmmmh I would be curious to hear what exactly would be different in the set-up, but I'll bite... What is the general tone of the group she wants to use for the group? For example, if military, maybe "Vanguard"?

I suggest using history books or the like for common name reference-material; I have an omnibus on mythos that lists pretty much all divine beings or others similar and gives their background so you can do a little nod there for the readers with intertextuality.

The automatons, I'd in fact steer clear from noises, because that gives them a cybernetic, half-organic feel to them, unless that is her intent. If you look for example at Galactica, the sound of the cylon visor buzzing is more than enough to convey dread. A machine is cold, merciless and relentless, which in itself should work well enough, while giving it some cry when it is wounded does not fit the bill IMHO. But I suppose it all depends on what she wants to do with them.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Charismatic Enigma

Actually something with "Vanguard" in it I think would work as the group is along the lines of private military organization.

As for the second part, yes, the cybernetic, half-organic tone is what she was going for. She got the idea for them from a protoype robot nicknamed Big Dog and the Gekko from MGS4.

Lastly, Antares, what is the title omnibus on mythos you mentioned?
Antares

It is called "Mythos and Mythology" but it is in Finnish (I translated the topic directly), so I doubt that will do you much good. But there is like a barrelful of similar books in all languages available, I would wager.

Feel free to use "Vanguard", I don't think I can copyright it. :D

About the automatons making sounds, well. If she's got a good idea there, then go for it. Not being familiar with the project, I just have some trouble visualizing it. :)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Antares wrote:It is called "Mythos and Mythology" but it is in Finnish (I translated the topic directly), so I doubt that will do you much good. But there is like a barrelful of similar books in all languages available, I would wager.
lol
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Charismatic Enigma

Okay, she's got a list of possible names for the organization jotted down. Now she's asking for suggestions on names of countries. The only one she has for now is an Eastern European-like country she's dubbed Graznia.

Any takers?
Areku

To touch on the automatons, I'm not convinced that it would be a good idea to make them emit pained sounds when damaged. Deception is an important factor in combat, and intentionally advertising you're weakness doesn't strike me as a good idea. What I would suggest is to include some distinctly human sounds, such as manic or crazed laughter, and occasionally emit more extreme versions of these sounds, mostly when the automatons take damage (but not every time they're damaged; you wouldn't want to give the adversary a reliable cue to attack).

Also, depending on how the adversary communicates, enabling the automatons to record, process and synthesize some of the commands/cries yelled by the adversary would allow the automatons to introduce an added layer of chaos to the combat.

There isn't an effective way to suggest "good" nation names individually, but a surprisingly effective way to come up with names for nations is to change existing names. One easy way to do this is to take an existing name, spell it backwards, then change it a little until it sounds like a nation again. For example, "Russia" -> "Aissur" -> "Asuria", or "America" -> "Acirema" -> "Acrimea", or "France" -> "Ecnarf" -> "Encarfe". There are many similar "word games" you can play to get decent names. Try it and see if you like what comes out.