Disney + Marvel?!?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Ryujin

Disney + Marvel?!?

Disney to buy Marvel for $4 Billion

Eh, what?!?

I'm sure this doesn't mean bizarre crossovers or watered-down storylines anytime soon, but I wouldn't mind seeing Donald & Howard laying the smack on each other.

Seriously, though, perhaps Disney's deep, deep pockets would be invaluable in getting more superheroes (not to mention team-ups & crossovers with the same actors reprising their roles) on the big screen. Then again, it may also result in production meddling in pursuit of a family-friendly 'GP' rating.
Sleepneeded127

Re: Disney + Marvel?!?

I am not happy about this at all.

Disney may say they are not going to meddle with Marvel's way of doing things now but its only a matter of time until that start to "broaden the the market" by making it more "Disney"

i like Disney movies from the old classics to the Greatness of Pixar, but this will not turn out good. Comics are all just starting to be seen as not just for kids but growing to be seen as mostly not for kids. This will set that back in a big way.

also i fear it will be like Time Warner owning DC holding back on minor or less popular characters for movies and projects out side comics. Relying only on the big names to carry everything ignoring all others.

I only hope that they just leave Marvel to do as it wants and leaves the Disney name/logo off anything marvel like they they do this the other sub-companies like Miramax
Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.
Wellman

I'm willing to reserve judgment.

Disney bought out Pixar and technically, they haven't screwed them over, I am hoping they leave the comic side of things to Marvel (unless they can stop Loeb from handling any more event books or major titles). Either way, they are at least a steady source of money so prices might not rise to $4.50 within the next 3 years.
Red Comet90

I can only hope they won't force Marvel to do things they normally wouldn't do. As long as Marvel stays Marvel it should be fine..I hope.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Sleepneeded127

Wellman wrote:I'm willing to reserve judgment.

Disney bought out Pixar and technically, they haven't screwed them over, I am hoping they leave the comic side of things to Marvel (unless they can stop Loeb from handling any more event books or major titles). Either way, they are at least a steady source of money so prices might not rise to $4.50 within the next 3 years.

but Pixar made Family films from the start so they fit right in with what Disney represents. so there was no mess with things.

but with Marvel many see comics as something for children when they really are not anymore. if Disney looks at them like this it could be a very bad thing.

one could only hope they just buy it just leave it alone and collect the paycheck
Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.
hellrasinbrasin

Guys calm down its not the apocalypse:

Disney will want anime TV Projects of Marvels Catalog that can be geared towards kids + Teenagers. Audiences wanting a more mature series you will have the films. So in hind sight I think that this will work for all of us.
SNT1

I don't think Disney is out to make Spider-Man here sing some musicals with Wolverine, but it's just a good money-making move on Disney's part. Now, it's WB/DC vs Disney/Marvel.

Now, I wonder what will happen to the Spider-Man the Ride and Hulk Coaster in Universal Studios Island of Adventure :roll:
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Bright Noa

I will laugh if Disney deems Deadpool safe for Disney World/Land auidences. And I'm sure the next comic he's featured in will have some...."commentary" from The Merc with a Mouth.

Although, does this mean that we may see Marvel characters in future Kingdom Hearts games? Or conversely, does this mean that Mickey Mouse and co. (including the Kingdom Hearts crew) are now honorary Avengers?
ShadowCell wrote:"Can you escape the Hambrabi...AND THE GREAT CORNHOLIO?!"
ShadowCell

Looking forward to the hit new spinoff That's So Kraven.
ZeroBusterXX

I read this in school and I was kinda upset. Although I have moved to cautious optimism now. A Marvel Pixar movie would be something I would enjoy.

As long as Marvel Team-Up doesn't have Spider-Man and Goody fighting Skrulls disguised as an unfrozen Walt Disney, then I'll be A-OK.

I just want Marvel to stay as it is. If I see the regular or Ultimate lines get dumbed down for kids, I don't know what I'll do.
Imperial

The knee jerk reactions are stunning. You would think Disney makes up all Four Horsemen of Creative Control with the way people have been throwing a hissy fit over this.

Contrary to popular belief, Disney isn't out to white wash the world. Disney has its hands in countless satellites, sub-firms, and the like, none of which were twisted into mutants by the big, bad mouse. Is Disney, the media giant, really so stupid as to acquire a money-making company and gut it of what made it a money-maker in the first place?

Be realistic people. The worst thing we'll see are some animated movies that don't try to be as hard core as the live action films.

OH THE HUMANITY!
This space for rent
Ryujin

What I find funny is that, less than two months ago, Marvel was suing Disney, which already owned the broadcast rights to most of Marvel's animated series from the '90's and earlier.

Given how fast the deal was arranged, looks like adversity turned into opportunity, and one thing quickly led to another.

In any case, contracts & projects involving Marvel and various video game & movie producers are reportedly going to be honoured & untouched for the duration of their agreements.

So if some of these projects end up rather lackluster...well, blame anyone but Disney.
duke4799

I'm fine with it, I don't think they'll muck up the adult side of anything... but even so, they will stick their child manipulating minions into everything marvel production studios pumps out... Hanna Cyrus as a new X-men character. Taylor Swift singing a song for Spider-Man 4, a Jonas Brother as Captain America (prolly just his side kick boy wonder, at least, Bucky was it?) OH MY GOD! MUTANT HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!!!!
Until Next Time: Happy Building!
-Joe
Joe's Gunpla

Want to Buy LM Leo or Taurus from Gundam Wing, built or unbuilt! Willing to pay big!
ZeroBusterXX

duke4799 wrote:I'm fine with it, I don't think they'll muck up the adult side of anything... but even so, they will stick their child manipulating minions into everything marvel production studios pumps out... Hanna Cyrus as a new X-men character. Taylor Swift singing a song for Spider-Man 4, a Jonas Brother as Captain America (prolly just his side kick boy wonder, at least, Bucky was it?) OH MY GOD! MUTANT HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!!!!
Yeah, Cap's sidekick was Bucky, although, he's not a sidekick anymore.

Ugh, and Xavier School Musical is too terrible an idea not to happen.
Dark Duel

Isn't "Bucky" the new Cap in the comics? I also liked him a lot as Winter Soldier.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ZeroBusterXX

Dark Duel wrote:Isn't "Bucky" the new Cap in the comics? I also liked him a lot as Winter Soldier.
Yeah, he's Captain America now, has been for a while. I think he's doing a god job too, he kneecaps more folks than Steve does.

I liked him more as Winter Soldier too though, that storyline where Cap met him, but there's too big a loophole (that I just came to accept finally) that that story used.
Chris
Administrator

Sigh... these idiotic fanboy reactions of how the sky is falling are more than tiring. You all are aware that Disney has subsidiaries like Miramax, ESPN, Touchstone Pictures and ABC that produce content for adults, right? Just because Disney owns Marvel doesn't mean that they're going to dump tons of sugar on Spider-man or any other character. If Disney can put out stuff like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, what's the big deal about them owning Marvel? Think with your heads, guys, rather than these typical knee-jerk angry fanboy reactions.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Meh, I'm used to overreactions and Doomsday predictions on little basis. People are saying they wish the upcoming Omamori Himari anime didn't exist and predicting massive disaster because they don't like the staffs' choices for the voice actors and character art. Now that is overreacting.

But seriously guys (not that I don't find the aforementioned whining and doomsday predictions to be serious, as in seriously annoying >.>), even putting aside all the points made so far, Disney rolled out great movies like National Treasure 1 and 2, and the so not children-focused Pirates trilogy. You've got crows pecking eyeballs out of corpses right at the beginning of Pirates 2, and eel-head fish people crushing peoples' heads with their mouths in Pirates 3; I think they know how and when to make things without "kid"-ing them down.
SNT1

Hanna Cyrus as a new X-men character. Taylor Swift singing a song for Spider-Man 4, a Jonas Brother as Captain America (prolly just his side kick boy wonder, at least, Bucky was it?) OH MY GOD! MUTANT HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!!!!
I almost, almost want this to happen just to see you 'fans' QQ in agony and despair while I laugh and Disney also laughs making hundreds of millions of dollars.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Chris
Administrator

Aside from what you've cited, this new deal really isn't any different from what already exists in the comics world. Warner Bros has owned DC for decades. WB makes Looney Tunes, as we all know. But last time I checked, Bugs Bunny isn't part of the Justice League, and Daffy Duck isn't Batman's sidekick.

Also, with all the Chicken Little panicking, people are overlooking one potentially great upshot already happening. In return for some concessions on movie rights, Sony gave up their TV rights to Spider-man, including the Spectacular Spider-man cartoon now airing on Disney XD. Sony never ordered a third season, but now that it's in Disney's hands, they could certainly order one. And I hope they do, because it's probably the best animated depiction of Spider-man to date.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his