Shinjuku Incident

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Shinjuku Incident

Anyone here seen it?

it's Jackie Chan's latest movie, but it ain't you're typical martial arts family comedy. It's a serious, gangster Yakuza kind of stuff. I have the DVD, but I have yet to see it...

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWdIyUbdZSA&feature=fvst

Edit
For those of you interested in getting it, you can order it online here:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/search/shinju ... /list.html Hong Kong version should have subtitles.
Last edited by Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Red Comet90

Re: Shinjuku Incident

Jackie Chan in a non comedy movie? That in and of itself sounds like something worth watching. I've hated how is potential as a serious fighter in movies is ruined by all the comedy movies he's done. If only Hollywood would realize this and see that Jackie Chan vs. Liam Neison from Taken would mean one of the greatest fights ever. I hope this is a new step in his career and I really hope to see him do more serious movies.

On that note tell me how the movie is when you get to watch it. The fact that Jackie Chan has a serious role makes it worth watching for me, but I doubt its at the nearby Wal-Mart since its all in a foreign language.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Red Comet90 wrote:Jackie Chan in a non comedy movie? That in and of itself sounds like something worth watching. I've hated how is potential as a serious fighter in movies is ruined by all the comedy movies he's done. If only Hollywood would realize this and see that Jackie Chan vs. Liam Neison from Taken would mean one of the greatest fights ever. I hope this is a new step in his career and I really hope to see him do more serious movies.

On that note tell me how the movie is when you get to watch it. The fact that Jackie Chan has a serious role makes it worth watching for me, but I doubt its at the nearby Wal-Mart since its all in a foreign language.
Actually, Jackie has been in a pretty good number of serious movies. He realized that Hollywood was giving him shit roles/movies, so he went back to Hong Kong some years ago and started producing his own movies instead, specifically to expand on acting and producing/storytelling rather than be some kind of kungfu sideshow. In Hollywood, he had become a gimmick rather than a real actor, and it really disappointed me in our own filmography. (I mean, Medallion? THE TUXEDO?!)

After leaving, he produced 3 movies right away: New Police Story, The Myth, and Robin-B-Hood. All of which are very good, but I only own The Myth so far. (Because I am poor, lol.) My favorite is New Police Story! The storytelling and acting were absolutely wonderful, on top of the action. I was freaking out/shocked at a lot of moments, and often on the verge of tears. Jesus.

I found a useful listing while looking this up. Didn't know about those new ones! =p

Anyway, I hadn't heard of Shinjuku incident yet, but it looks very interesting. I've seen a handful of movies showcasing tensions between China and Japan, but they're usually in a past setting instead of a present one, so this is a new one for me. I heard Jackie will be in an acting role instead of an action one for this movie, so that will mix it up even further. =p

Oh, and if you tend to find that his movies are hard to find, I just buy them from a rental place like Blockbuster or something. Yeah, they ship there new in mint condition, too. The only nutty thing is the different material they use for the case. ;_;

But yeah, tell us what you think once you watch it. =)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Red Comet90

Seraphic wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:Jackie Chan in a non comedy movie? That in and of itself sounds like something worth watching. I've hated how is potential as a serious fighter in movies is ruined by all the comedy movies he's done. If only Hollywood would realize this and see that Jackie Chan vs. Liam Neison from Taken would mean one of the greatest fights ever. I hope this is a new step in his career and I really hope to see him do more serious movies.

Actually, Jackie has been in a pretty good number of serious movies. He realized that Hollywood was giving him ZOINKS roles/movies, so he went back to Hong Kong some years ago and started producing his own movies instead, specifically to expand on acting and producing/storytelling rather than be some kind of kungfu sideshow. In Hollywood, he had become a gimmick rather than a real actor, and it really disappointed me in our own filmography. (I mean, Medallion? THE TUXEDO?!)
Yeah he really was a gimmick added in for no reason. I'm glad he went off and did his own thing which explains why I haven't seen him in a movie for quite a long time.

Next time I get a change I'll check out the the nearby blockbuster. Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Red Comet90 wrote:
Doesn't HMV have a foreign movie section? Or is that another place I'm thinking?

I saw both Medallion and Tuxedo...and...they were pretty much the same movies. Rumble in the Bronx is probably my earliest memory of seeing Jackie Chan in a film. And wow, I didn't know he did Kung Fu Panda.

EDIT:

For those of you interested in getting it, you can order it online here:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/search/shinju ... /list.html Hong Kong version should have subtitles.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Genocide

I watched this movie last month while in Shanghai. The plot itself was kind of convoluted at points and the acting wasn't what I would call top notch (even for Jackie Chan). Despite the flaws, it was a decent movie with some memorable moments, and the movie really helped show how easily people change when money and power become involved. The ending however, in my opinion, seemed rushed and inconclusive.
Antares

I watched this one too, it was pretty OK. The movie had huge potential of stepping into the turd of racism in the sense that the movie would take sides and get preacy, but it didn't. It was a pretty solid presentation in my view, and Chan played his part well, although I admit I waited for those martial arts moves all the same. ;) Recommendable, as it is also loosely based on historical events; the influx of Chinese immigrants to wealthy Japan just as their economy was starting to go south in the 90s and how that affects the Japanese underworld. The ending did not bother me though.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.