Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
M.U.N.

Skip to 0:24 of the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqMKRSTHFzc

So, yeah. Apparently a live action movie of Avatar: The Last Airbender is being made. Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, one of the few directors who could do this trilogy justice. This movie might actually have promise.

Either way this movie promises to be full of tweests
Red Comet90

Re: Avatar the movie

I haven't watched an entire episode of the show, but only seeing the trailer that played before Transformers 2 got me excited for this movie. It looks great even from the little that was revealed in the trailer. I just hope its as good as the little bit that I saw.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
M.U.N.

The Official Trailer looks cool.
The person playing aang from what I saw of this was really well cast imo
Red Comet90

Yeah he really does look like him. Lets just hope he can act well which hopefully is the case since Shyamalan is directing the movie.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Vent Noir

The animated series is well worth watching. Better than any western action cartoon I can think of (I'll even go so far as to say it tops Batman: The Animated Series, which is no mean feat), and most of the anime as well.

There was a bit of controversy over the movie casting white actors as Asian roles (well, technically there's no Asia in the Avatar world, but the cultures were unquestionably inspired by various Asian cultures)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
ZeroBusterXX

Vent Noir wrote:The animated series is well worth watching. Better than any western action cartoon I can think of (I'll even go so far as to say it tops Batman: The Animated Series, which is no mean feat), and most of the anime as well.

There was a bit of controversy over the movie casting white actors as Asian roles (well, technically there's no Asia in the Avatar world, but the cultures were unquestionably inspired by various Asian cultures)
The Penny Arcade strip making fun of that was hilarious! I always thought the characters were asian, but that's neither here nor there.

I enjoyed the cartoon, and I hope M. Night can make a good movie. Two and a half good movies out of what, six, is not a good track record.
J-Lead

Seems mildly interesting. I enjoyed the cartoon, even with all it's preachy yakkity yak and childish humor. I never did have a problem with them casting white people for the roles, seeing as there technically is no Asia in the context of the show's universe, as Vent pointed out. There certainly are different races, however, and I distinctly remember seeing a stereotypical accented asian women (some tour guide) in opposition to the many races we see mixed in the bunch, so it all comes down to the notion that the world in the show is simply influenced by Asian culture...and only that.

But where's my Toph, M. Night? She best be in one of the sequels! :evil:
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
M.U.N.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYUzaYgXXDg This shows the characters and what some of them would look with a few simple things added and some of them look really close.
Also, thank the non existent gods Jessy McCartney didn't get the role of Zuko.
Darth Optimus

J-Lead if i remember correctly Toph didn't appear until the midway point or so
^^^^^More Incoherent Ramblings^^^^^

"The truth is...I am Iron Man"
Vent Noir

Toph appeared 5 or so episodes into season 2. I'd expect her to be in the second movie.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
DAG101

Who was Toph? Haven't seen the show in a while.
ZeroBusterXX

Toph was the blind Earthbender girl.
DAG101

Oh. That's who I thought it was.

So, how could they leave her out of this movie?
ZeroBusterXX

Because she didn't appear until season 2 of the series. Each movie= 1 season.
Gaiden1992

I loved the anime series. It really showed that Americans can make animated series better than Spongebob and 6-teen(ugh).

An M. Night fan, however, I am not (except for 6th Sense) so I can only pray he does it justice.
It's my world, you just don't know it yet.

Killzone: A World of War RP
GundamMaker01

i just pray that Shyamalan doesn't put a stupid twist in this movie, because avatar was practically the only western cartoon worth watching in years.
I can't stand the weak; They're always nervous about when they'll be next attacked. They can't trust anybody and they never have an opinion of their own. I can't stand such people!

"Hey Nicol! Batter Up!!!" - Kira Yamato

ZeroBusterXX

Gaiden1992 wrote:I loved the anime series. It really showed that Americans can make animated series better than Spongebob and 6-teen(ugh).

An M. Night fan, however, I am not (except for 6th Sense) so I can only pray he does it justice.
6-Teen is Canadian. Blame that one on our brothers to the north.
J-Lead

ZeroBusterXX wrote:
Gaiden1992 wrote:I loved the anime series. It really showed that Americans can make animated series better than Spongebob and 6-teen(ugh).

6-Teen is Canadian. Blame that one on our brothers to the north.
...And Avatar was conceptualized in the US, but animated in Korea. Not that this sort of thing in uncommon...
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Zenith Soulcross

If M-night messes this up, he may end up being thrown out of the country by very many angree mobs. his bad.
DAG101

6-Teen was Canadian? Damn it, we'd set a pretty good track record for TV/Movies with Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter, Trailer Park Boys, and Heavy Metal. Why did something so horrid have to come from Canada? WHY???

So, uh, yeah...

I really hope that M. Night How-the-hell-do-you-spell-this-surname doesn't add a twist. I read an interview, or a quote, or something, a while back, where he said that he actually watches the show with his kids, or something like that. He also apparently said that he really loved the shows, so it's possible he will make this a faithful adaption.

Still, if it does end up being a horrible and unfaithful adaption of this amazing children's action show, we can just compare it to Dragon Ball: Evolution. Or, better yet, forget that there is a recently-made Dragon Ball live-action film.