Latest movie thread.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Aegis

Re: Latest movie thread.

Haven't been watching a whole lot in movies. While flipping through channels, I ended up watching Dim Sum Funeral. Why did I end up watching it all the way through? I... don't know. It's kinda... forced, if anything.
Antares

I also got through District 9, which was quite good as sci-fi goes. It wasn't the bomb or anything (unlike it was hyped), but a solid work. Personally I could've done with a little less underlining of "prawns being new the blacks", but I also know that some people need it spelled out. :mrgreen:

I also checked out Inglourious Basterds (dang it's hard to misspell on purpose), which was a good Tarantino movie. Just going for the kicks was enough. Not to spoil or anything, I think Christoph Waltz was the lead actor hands-down. For example the scene at the theatre and his reaction to the "mountain climbing"-comment got me roaring with him. There were a few points of possible depth to investigate in the movie, but since it was a Tarantino I doubt many will bother. Maybe he should try an outright comedy too, as scary as that sounds, since the funny bits stuck to mind better than the gruesome ones. And at least my Japanese is better than Aldo Raine's Italian, I can tell you that much. :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
SNT1

since the funny bits stuck to mind better than the gruesome ones.
Doesn't help that some of the gruesome bits are actually funny (to me, I'm sick), like the interrogation scene. And yeah, Waltz should be at least nominated for best supporting actor in that movie.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Shea

Just saw Akira. (The new dub. I haven't seen the old one, but I don't think it could make things any clearer.)

All I've got to say is that this movie is all kinds of f***ed up. I'm still trying to piece the ending together, and I think my brain is going to collapse if I keep trying. I mean... what? The whole concept is great and I was really enjoying myself up until the ending where it turned into the most depressing mindf*** ever.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Kishiria

I just saw District 9 last night and really, really liked it. It was interesting having a movie where the aliens did not go to the usual cities of New York, L.A., London or Tokyo. For the same reason it was interesting to have the organized crime baddies be Nigerian rather than Sicilian. There's a big wide world outside of the U.S. and Europe and it was fun seeing a really good science fiction film (with mecha!) set there.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Kavik Ryx

Shea wrote:Just saw Akira. (The new dub. I haven't seen the old one, but I don't think it could make things any clearer.)

All I've got to say is that this movie is all kinds of f***ed up. I'm still trying to piece the ending together, and I think my brain is going to collapse if I keep trying. I mean... what? The whole concept is great and I was really enjoying myself up until the ending where it turned into the most depressing mindf*** ever.
Yeah, Akira will do that to ya.

As for me, the only thing I've seen recently was the new Michael Moore documentary. Due to the rules of this board, I won't go too much into it. But I will say that it hits the point hard, and that I almost wanted to start a revolution at the end.
Shea

By far one of the freakiest movies I had seen in while, and seems to be inspired by Silent Hill 4. It really puts a whole new spin on the "haunted place" kind of movie. I loved it.
===========
Beowulf
An absolutely gorgeous movie with top of the line actors and a wonderful but tragic story. I can't recommend it enough.
===========
Bill Cosby : Himself.
Even 26 years after this family friendly stand-up special was made, it's still hilarious.
===========
Wes Craven Presents : Dracula II
One word : LAME!!! The Syfy channel churns out better crap than this! Oh, and the ending? THERE ISN'T ONE!! A waste of my time.
===========
My mom saw a Coffin Joe movie on IFC. She said, and I quote : "What the **** is this ****!?"
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Dark Duel

The Brothers Bloom, with Adrien Brody, Rachel Weisz, and the Japanese chick from Babel, whose name escapes me ATM.
Two brothers, both life-long con men. A relatively clueless, ultra-sheltered rich girl. And a Japanese chick who barely says five words the whole movie except for a brief scene in which she is singing, and gets her kicks by blowing **** up.
Yeah, good times.

Actually, I've yet to see Brody in a bad movie.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Shea

Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?
Without a doubt my mother's favorite movie, and a favorite of mine as well. It's something that's quite difficult to describe. You just can't live in southern culture and not like this movie.
=============
Last House on the Left (Remake)
Brutal. Absolutely brutal. But this movie has what is possibly THE most satisfying ending that I have seen in a long time. You'll never look at microwaves the same way again.
ZeroBusterXX

Dark Duel wrote:Actually, I've yet to see Brody in a bad movie.
Wait until that Predator remake that he and Topher Grace are supposedly starring in.

Zombieland: Really funny movie. Woody Harrelson is great in this. It's just a fun movie.

Paranormal Activity: After hearing about how scary it was, I was severely let down. It was too predictable and really had only one cool (not scary or even suspenseful, just cool) scene. They could have called it Blair Witch 3 and saved me 9.50.
FunKyTekNiShuN

New Jersey Drive...i enjoyed it as I can kind of relate to the events and incidents in that movie...great acting and great soundtrack

The Warriors...old school classic...about gangs and stuff in late 70s nyc...think the same plot as '300' but better in my opinion
'...being the bad guy is so much more awesome...'
Shea

Saw Drag me to Hell :
I hated this movie. Hated hated HATED it. It's not scary at all, and the ending makes this whole f***ing movie a waste of time.

Saw Shutter :
Now this is a little better. There are some actual scary moments, some of the scenery is gorgeous, and you find yourself genuinely interested in what truly happened to the ghost. Pretty good.

Saw Pulse :
I never wanna see a blue tint again. The whole thing looks like someone put a piece of blue cellophane over the camera lens. It was really scary at some parts, and you begin to wonder how this thing can be stopped if it can at all. Nice.
Antares

I watched Up and G.I.Joe. The prior was fairly good, usual Pixar quality although the 3-D wasn't quite that awesome. But it made me eagerly await Avatar and see what that movie has done with it. G.I.Joe, on the other hand... well... suffice to say I thought it was as bad as TF:TRoTF (which I think I've mentioned before, was fairly bad as bad movies go). Maybe I am becoming the resident elitist movie-critic but when the movie has you gushing on about all the things that were bad, it's hard to keep an open mind. In this case, every silver lining has a dark cloud attached to it. :mrgreen:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Kenji

Saw Zombieland. It was like a teenage roadtrip movie that just happened to have zombies in it... y'know, as distractions. Lots of fun, great to see with friends. :)
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Shea

Saw Astro-boy : A great representation of the timeless anime hero.

Saw Paranormal Activity : Without a doubt the scariest movie I've seen in years. It frightens you without relying on "boo" moments, and sometimes things can get so tense that you start to squirm in your seat.
Shea

Live Free or Die Hard.
Damn fun, loved it. (Strangely enough, it is also my first Die Hard movie.)

Robin Williams : Weapons of Self Destruction.
Funny, nuff said.

Lisa Lampenelli : Long Live the Queen.
Wow. The whole time this special played I kept hearing a vacuum cleaner-ish sound. Come to find it was the absolute suck contained in Lisa's first HBO special. I'd say the Queen ain't got much longer to live unless Comedy Central comes back to rescue her from the depths of Carlos Mencia level suckitude.

Christmas Vacation.
Why does this get funnier every time I watch it?
Volnixshin

Saw Avatar, we thought (collectivly) it was better than Star Wars, LotR and yeah, was fantastic!
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
Blue 55

Just back from seening Avatar in 3D and my god I was blow away......I mean heck guys and gals I'am speechless. You all might disagree with and thats ok but this is best movie of 2009 peroid. Avatar has set a new bar by which all other movies will be judge by from here on. Now I go to see it in I-Max on Tuesday with rest of the family and boy I feel like a kid all over again. :D :D :D
"Dear humanity we regret being alien bastards, we regret comming to earth, and me most certainly regret the corps just blowing up our raggedy azz fleet"
---
Symbolhime

Avatar was the most utterly beautiful, utterly enjoyable film I have ever seen. It felt like a New Hope all over again.
What are the different strengths and needs of the European market? "I'm not certain; maybe football games?"
- Yoshiki Okamoto
Outlaw

Saw Avatar; I'm not so sure its the revolution in movie making that it was hyped up to be, but I thought it was an excellent movie. My only dissapointment was the 3D, however, I was off-center and maybe eight rows away from the screen so I'm not ready to condemn the second coming of 3D yet.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."