Keanu Reeves Hopes to Star in Live-Action Cowboy Bebop

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
TheGoose

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... wboy-bebop

I guess he could pull off Spike's laid-back attitude and melancholy, but I wonder if he could pull off Spike's smart-ass attitude.
Kavik Ryx

Then again his overacting would just kill Spike's attitude. I can't think off the top of my head who would make a good Spike, but it's just not Keaunu Reeves.
wonton bob

looks wise I would have said Patrick Dempsey, I think he closely resembles the character but I have no idea if he's a good actor.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Sanjiro

Dunno bout the looks, but Ryan Reynolds could pull off the attitude.
"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it."

--Sun Tzu
X10A-Freedom

I think Robert Downey Jr. wouldn't be a bad choice although he is a bit short for spike. But I think he could nail the attitude and personality.

And since there focusing on red eye and the start of the series and they want to stay true to the story dose this mean there will be no Faye or Ed?

And as far as my feelings for Cowboy Bebop I really wish they wouldnt make a live action movie. To me Cowboy Bepop is one of those things thats sacride and shouldnt be touched.
Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System
Xtra Large Robot
Dark Duel

Keanu Reeves as Spike? HECK NO!!!
Downey, yes I can see pulling Spike off - but not Reeves, who's got the narrowest range of facial expressions of any celebrity I've ever seen(except one). And whose acting is, in my experience, almost invariably either sadly underperforming or irritatingly over-done.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kavik Ryx

Robert Downey Jr. as Spike Spiegel, that would actually be a good idea.
Nowhere Man

Keanu's acting style strikes me as a little too wooden to play Spike, who often comes off as cocky and sarcastic. I can't imagine he'd be cast in the role if such a movie did enter production, though.

As for Robert Downey Jr., isn't he a little too old to play Spike? :?
Has no real point of view.
Knows not where he's going to.
Isn't he a bit like you and me?
wraith1701

NO. :evil:
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I'm glad we've got an anime fan among Hollywood's elite, I share the doubts of every poster in this discussion. And watching The Matrix, Johnny Mneumonic, and that cameo on Family Guy only strengthens my opinion.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Sleepneeded127

Keaunu Reeves should not be in any movie at all and definitely not cowboy bebop.
Cowbot bebop is one of the few Anime shows that would translate well in to an American movie it should not be ruined by a horrible actor
Kavik Ryx

Luckily the deal hasn't been sealed, so maybe we will get an actor who doesn't sound like he came from the William Shatner School of Theater Arts.

No offense to Shatner. He's probably the best bad actor out there.
Volnixshin

I'm with freedom. i dot think a live action cb would be a good idea. its so perfect just as it is.
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
Antares

True, but it doesn't look like we have much of a choice in the matter. ;)
Ryan Reynolds might not be bad, I was fairly pleasantly surprised by his Smoking Aces performance, so he might pull it off. Downey, well, maybe if you look at the attitude, but I just can't see him playing the part.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
X10A-Freedom

Antares wrote:True, but it doesn't look like we have much of a choice in the matter. ;)
Thats whats so annoying about the whole thing :D .

I mean if it gets made it gets made and I hope its the best movie ever but what I dont want is another Dragon Ball movie. Ya know where you first hear about it and you get a little bit excited and even though your hopes arent even high for it they still get crushed and you think man that cant get any worse then the newest trailer comes out AND IT GETS WORSE.

Ok this is just a stupid thought I had but wouldnt it be cool if no matter what actors got the main character roles in the movie if they Dubbed over thier voices with the english VAs voices. And im talkin a perfect lip sinc dub not like those crappy old movie dubs. Again this was just a stupid random thought so dont attack me to hard lol.
Xtra Large Robot
Sleepneeded127

X10A-Freedom wrote:
Thats whats so annoying about the whole thing :D .

I mean if it gets made it gets made and I hope its the best movie ever but what I dont want is another Dragon Ball movie. Ya know where you first hear about it and you get a little bit excited and even though your hopes arent even high for it they still get crushed and you think man that cant get any worse then the newest trailer comes out AND IT GETS WORSE.

O
this film has a much better shot at being good since the story and settings are very much like modern American westerns the creator even describe it its as "a western in space". i mean of all the Anime to make a movie out of this is one of the best that would translate well to the difference in audiencem

something like Dragonball just does not fit the mainstream with out being ruined
X10A-Freedom

I just used the Dragon Ball movie as an example you could really insert any number of movies in there.

And im not really worried about the story or the setting im more worried abou tthe fact that anything Cowboy Bebop has some pretty high standars to live up to. Cause really you can name tons of things that make it a great series but there is just somthing about it thats magic.
Xtra Large Robot
Sleepneeded127

yes that is very true it is held as a standard in many ways doe to that "magic" of how it all just comes together perfectly
but that magic is that same for any adaptation to film be it a novel or comic to movie, even manga to anime. whats makes one thing great as on media may be lost in another. just think how many books are great but the movies of them is horrible

i just think that cowboy bebop has a better chance then most others. the only anime that has a better chance that know is being made is Blood: The Last Vampire due to it not havering as much less to loose and being easily to do setting wise.
MrMarch

Naturally I'm very wary of the idea of a Cowboy Bebop adaptation, but I have to know more details before I pass judgment. I want to know if Erwin is really going to produce or if he's just pitching the concept. I want to know who's directing. I want to know who's writing. I want cast details. Once I know that, I'll arrogantly prejudge the film's worth like a good little opinionated net denizen :)

I will say this much so far: Keanu Reeves as Spike is a horrible idea of noir-like tragedy. There is one man and one man alone in Hollywood who can do Spike justice and that's Sam Rockwell. Cast him as Spike and I'll be convinced this live action adaptation of Cowboy Bebop is being taken seriously. If they don't, then that's a big warning sign this film is off to a bad start :)
thanatos

If not Cowboy Bebop then what?

I'd say that it is the best candidate for a western adaptation of any anime series. Reeves may not be an acting genius but if he can appreciate the show then you know that this is not just something he's doing for a quick buck.

Besides, a movie is much more than its leading actor. It's presumptuous to dismiss a movie on that alone.