College is cutting budget, New workout methods!

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
lalahsghost

College is cutting budget, New workout methods!

Well, my college has decided to close access to any/all gym equipment to students (no matter if they are in sports or not [professors excluded]) during any week long break or longer. This kinda puts a kink in my training, and flat out kinda pisses me off...

I was walking to the lab the other day and saw a couple pieces of rusted square iron tubing. a 3.5ft piece, and a 5.5ft piece.... roughly... These pieces did not seem to have any purpose on the new building they are constructing on campus, and with my bad attitude... I have decided they will work well for light training! I rubber banded some old 'rag cloth' to make it easier to hold onto and use them for quick reps while on the trainer! I'm so ingenuous! 8)

Now don't get me wrong, I have spent a several hundred hours over the past four years volunteering for my college, and I love just about everything about it, but I guess I felt a little bit of entitlement, and like I said.... two pieces of rusted pipe :roll: :roll:

Has anyone else used such ghetto forms of exercise equipment before?

P.S. I did eventually buy and build my new bike. $1800, and I didn't have to cut any corners in my finances or quality. 7700g. weight!!!
ORegan

You soulless heathen! :lol:

Ever run up and down your stairs with a gallon of water in each hand as improv free weights? :P

I drank the water as I went about, so it got lighter and lighter...seemed like a good idea at the time. 8)
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Ryujin

There's always isometrics & dynamic tension. Can't get more minimal or any cheaper than that.
Lans

ORegan wrote:I drank the water as I went about, so it got lighter and lighter...seemed like a good idea at the time. 8)
I couldn't expect less from ORegan. :lol:
lalahsghost

ORegan wrote:You soulless heathen! :lol:

Ever run up and down your stairs with a gallon of water in each hand as improv free weights? :P

I drank the water as I went about, so it got lighter and lighter...seemed like a good idea at the time. 8)
That's a badass idea! I see the football team do that during the summer! they run all around town with TWO JUGS. One for body, one for drinking.... I may have to join up with them :D
Gadget

lalahsghost wrote:
ORegan wrote: That's a badass idea! I see the football team do that during the summer! they run all around town with TWO JUGS. One for body, one for drinking.... I may have to join up with them :D
We were made to do that in the army. We thought we could get away with the water by drinking ALL the water we carry. But the coperal made us top up all out water bottles and run again.

Oh yes, a quarter of us were puking water before the end line.
Wedge14

The most ghettoiest way of working out i've ever seen is my nephew using Wii-fit. :lol:

Now that i'm finished school I no longer have access to free workout time. (well not free, because it was an actual course i had to pay for)

Worse yet, i'm suffering from a broken arm. :cry: So besides 1 armed pushups ( F that noize) and the stationary bike theres not much i can do.

Also Ryujin hit it dead on. Look at something like a monkey, it just uses it's own body weight and those things are ripp'd.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Momaru

Body weight work out. Harder and better for you than you would think.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
aberrance

Eek, that's rough man. My school just built a new Student Rec center and is remodeling the old gym which is for athletes, but like you, we're predicting budget cuts. I don't want to know whats going to get nixed for me. Be happy it wasn't academics though. Some schools out west are eliminating whole departments to my understanding. :shock:
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

I have a friend that swears by those Perfect Push Up Discs. I think they're pretty inexpensive.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
thenuke9000

just get a jump rope, sandbags and somewhere you can elevate your feet or jump on and off of and look up the cross-fit workouts. those don't take too long and give you a full body workout.
BOOMER SOONER
Oh my God its a GUNDAM!!!!!!!!!!!
TUCK FEXAS
lalahsghost

Ahhh <3 It's finally done.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lalahsghos ... 1/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lalahsghos ... 1/sizes/o/

That attached with one of these (which I already own) http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photos/5 ... -INUSE.jpg
and my new purchase of this: http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photos/5 ... -ANGLE.jpg along with the iron pipe is heavenly in this ugg weather in WV :(

(And yes, Wedge finally bought enough stuff that I could afford my bicycle :D)