would the Zeong have been better with/without legs?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.

yes
41%
No
32%
Unsure
27%

Total votes: 44
Lancelot

here is a poll to decide if the Zeong would have done better with/without legs.
"Im going to teach you that a mobile suit has its limits my friend, when it goes up against the Red Comet."-Char Aznable
Destroy Gundam

Though my memory's hazy, the Zeong was fully combat capable without the legs. So, I really don't think it would've made a difference.
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.
Sume Gai

I answered yes because the way the question is worded it makes no difference
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
ShadowCell

Define "better," or else this thread is pointless and will be locked.
Kavik Ryx

Considering that that Zeon officer told Char that the legs are just for show, I'd say that it probably would not have made a difference.
thenuke9000

It would have no better combat effectiveness with legs because it was only used in space, thus the addition of thrusters and engines where the legs were supposed to be made it an effective space mobile armor.
BOOMER SOONER
Oh my God its a GUNDAM!!!!!!!!!!!
TUCK FEXAS
Terrace

I believe in this case, "better" means which form of the Zeong is more combat-effective and better able to work in multiple environments. In space, perhaps the legs are just for show, but they are needed in order to function effectively on Earth-bound battlefields. Based on this logic, which allows the Zeong more deployment options, I'd say it is better with the legs than without. After all, in its no-leg state, it's almost mobile armor-like, and Newtype-use MAs almost never survive past their first combat run. :D
Heavyarms is the best walking weapons pile of all the Gundams!

Click Here!
Ryujin

thenuke9000 wrote:It would have no better combat effectiveness with legs because it was only used in space, thus the addition of thrusters and engines where the legs were supposed to be made it an effective space mobile armor.
To further elaborate on this, it might even have been detrimental to its performance in space, since the Perfect Zeong's gross weight is nearly double that of the Zeong, thanks to the legs. Apparently, the legs didn't come with additional thrusters to compensate for the additional mass.

The legs might have had a significant effect on its maneuverability courtesy of the principles behind the AMBAC system, but at the cost of cutting its maximum acceleration by half.

*assuming official stats actually had a bearing on the Zeong's actual performance in animation.

Of course, there's also Terrace's point to consider regarding its functionality in anything other than a zero-g environment.
Last edited by Ryujin on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kavik Ryx

Ryujin wrote: Of course, there's also Terrace's point to consider regarding its functionality in anything other than a zero-g environment.
Then again, it could have always been refitted to have its skirt thrusters be that of a Dom's.
Ryujin

Kavik Ryx wrote:Then again, it could have always been refitted to have its skirt thrusters be that of a Dom's.
That's...actually a pretty intriguing suggestion. Suitably modified, it could become some sort of Hover-Zeong. The lack of legs would make a more efficient air-cushion skirt feasible. Sure, it looks a bit top-heavy, but heck, if Zeon could get something as large as the Gallop-class to hover, why not a Zeong?
Last edited by Ryujin on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-Lead

Lets summarize what's been said so far. One of the Zeong's notable features was that it was rather fast, but wasn't particularly manuverable. The Perfect Zeong, on the other hand, would have a lot more going for it in terms of AMBAC capabilities and thrust vectoring, but weighs considerably more, and the total thruster output remains roughly the same if the MAHQ stats are anything to go by. I'd say the Zeong is much faster without the legs, but lacks efficient manuvering capabilities, while the Perfect Zeong's total speed and acceleration isn't quite as high as the Zeong, but is much more manuverable to compensate.

In conclusion, it's not which is better, but which is better suited to certain situations. The Zeong is near perfect for hit and run attacks, and the Perfect Zeong is better for more direct combat situations.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Zerosystem

J-Lead wrote:Lets summarize what's been said so far. One of the Zeong's notable features was that it was rather fast, but wasn't particularly manuverable. The Perfect Zeong, on the other hand, would have a lot more going for it in terms of AMBAC capabilities and thrust vectoring, but weighs considerably more, and the total thruster output remains roughly the same if the MAHQ stats are anything to go by. I'd say the Zeong is much faster without the legs, but lacks efficient manuvering capabilities, while the Perfect Zeong's total speed and acceleration isn't quite as high as the Zeong, but is much more manuverable to compensate.

In conclusion, it's not which is better, but which is better suited to certain situations. The Zeong is near perfect for hit and run attacks, and the Perfect Zeong is better for more direct combat situations.
The total thruster output remains the same, because the large verniers on the Zeong where the legs would have been attached, would have been mounted on the legs of the Perfect Zeong.

The Perfect Zeong would have just been a very large mobile suit. I'd doubt the addition of legs would have helped Char very much in his duel with Amuro. The upside of being somewhat more maneuverable due to the extra AMBAC abilities, I think would have been a moot point considering that the Zeong would have been a much larger target, and much heavier.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
mcred23

J-Lead wrote:Lets summarize what's been said so far. One of the Zeong's notable features was that it was rather fast, but wasn't particularly manuverable. The Perfect Zeong, on the other hand, would have a lot more going for it in terms of AMBAC capabilities and thrust vectoring, but weighs considerably more, and the total thruster output remains roughly the same if the MAHQ stats are anything to go by. I'd say the Zeong is much faster without the legs, but lacks efficient manuvering capabilities, while the Perfect Zeong's total speed and acceleration isn't quite as high as the Zeong, but is much more manuverable to compensate.
Great summary of the two designs. I couldn't have put it any better myself.
J-Lead wrote:In conclusion, it's not which is better, but which is better suited to certain situations. The Zeong is near perfect for hit and run attacks, and the Perfect Zeong is better for more direct combat situations.
Key point in bold.

Seriously, this is a case where you can pick any answer for the poll and you will be right, to a degree. With and without the legs, the Zeong will have huge advantages and disadvantages over the other form, which will have some impact on how it performs in combat. And really, the issue of whether speed or maneuverability is better is a matter of... well, a lot of things (Intending combat role and opinion, to name two).

So yeah, this is starting to look very pointless... :|
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
SNT1

Zeong's legs may be situational, but in this case Char wanted Amuro dead. Would Char have needed legless Zeong for its acceleration/better thrsut/mass ratio, or a slower but more intimidating and supposedly more AMBAC-friendly legged Zeong, to beat the RX-78-2?
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Reven

Well...considering that the legs didn't really help much with any of the weaponry. The Zeong was still limited to its finger cannons, the dual waist cannons and the head cannon. It might have been more agile thanks to the legs, but would that have helped much? I don't really know.
It might be able to stop faster, which might have helped, as he could stay farther away from the RX-78 and keep shooting. Didn't the Zeong basicly lose cause Amuro got in close and hacked away at it?
Lans

Well, it’s possible that it also would add or suffer a certain degree to acceleration. The leg itself could provide more space to contain more fuel/ propellant. Larger space could also be use to facilitate better coolant system by putting more heatsink or stuffs in the unit, although I highly doubt that they need that since the legless Zeong is already spacious. No question about the better manoeuvrability because of the AMBAC.

The problem is those additional abilities come with the cost of bigger size and weight. We’re talking about the Zeong being almost twice taller (bigger target for the enemies) and twice heavier than the legless one. Even with that additional size and weight, there’s no added firepower. I’m sure they could refit the legs with additional generators but I doubt that Zeong’s firepower would be affected by that.
Blade D

Of course, we all seem to be overlooking the most obvious in-universe explanation as to why the Zeong with legs would be better, at least as far as its pilot is concerned; in that the CHAR KICK is impossible in the legless Zeong. :lol:

All joking aside though, the point mentioned previously about the legs adding mass for AMBAC while reducing overall speed and acceleration certainly has merit; remembering that it's a simple task to aim ahead of a moving target that can mostly only move in a straight line, whereas it's far more difficult to aim at something that can change direction or orientation at will... even if its speed is less. Therefore, I still go with the legs.

Plus, due to the way the Zeong is set up, the legs could always be jettisoned to go to the traditional version if the need arose.
J-Lead

Blade D wrote:Plus, due to the way the Zeong is set up, the legs could always be jettisoned to go to the traditional version if the need arose.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the legs on the Perfect Zeong are in place of the thrusters, not on top of.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

yeah the plan was to move them down to the bottoms of the feet once the legs were fitted.
Recon 5

It just struck me: when the non-Perfect Zeong sortied, it had large thrusters where its legs were supposed to be. Were they just tacked on in place of legs, or was the machine always planned to have a choice of legs or thrusters?
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE