Destiny Gundam

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Graveyard

Destiny Gundam

What's the purpose of builting Destiny gundam? I mean honestly, it has something for everything but to me it looks like it can just destroy a fleet of grunts and the destroy gundams but it can't participate in MS combats(1 vs 1 battle against something like Strike Freedom, Legend and specially if the pilot was a top ace) so am I mistaken or what?
SNT1

wat

Destiny is perfectly capable of 1-on-1 MS fights. Shinn just didn't know how to use it.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
chainsandguns

Destiny can handle 1 vs 1 combat It's just that Athren dismembered Destiny's limbs with infinite justice's beam sabers, knees, boomerangs, esophagus, ect, ect. Wasn't much he could do after that

EDIT: Used Dark Duel as a dictionary :P
Last edited by chainsandguns on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: Ed_The_Crimson
Twitter: @EdTheCrimson
Dropping The X
Dark Duel

Re: Destiny Gundam

Destiny is a perfectly capable one-on-one fighter - He easily held off Kira and the Strike Freedom every time he faced it one-on-one.
Unfortunately, he went up against a machine that had more beam blades than it had limbs, including the wings. Difficult to face an opponent like that, especially against a pilot of Athrun's skill, who moreover specializes in close-quarters combat.
Don't get me wrong, Shinn's a great pilot. But Athrun was still better.

EDIT: @chainsandguns - the word I think you're looking for is "dismembered". :P
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Phoenix012

Official stats have not been released, but as far as I can tell the Destiny Gundam is the fastest Gundam to exist in the Cosmic Era. It very much suited Shinn's combat style and had he been in a better state of mind I think Shinn could have used this to his advantage instead of charging headfirst into melee fight with the Infinite Justice, which as we saw, didn't turn out so well for him.
Wingnut

Phoenix012 wrote:Official stats have not been released, but as far as I can tell the Destiny Gundam is the fastest Gundam to exist in the Cosmic Era.
How exactly did you come to that conclusion?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Recon 5

The Destiny was never meant to be the perfect one-on-one fighter. That title goes to the IJ. It was also not the best spammer- SF takes the cake there.

It was, however, meant to be a superfast multi-role machine that combined the best of the Silhouettes with the superior speed of the WoL system. It was probably the best of ZAFT at the time it was introduced, barring perhaps its glorified Providence sister-unit (and I think it trumps the Legend by FAR).

Terminal just makes better suits. Thats all.

Perhaps if Destiny had been able to to magic three-way splits like the Impulse it would have been all over for the Beam Hedgehog.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
neolordmaxwell

If I recall correctly, Terminal didn't design the Strike Freedom or Infinite justice- they just seized and constructed existing Zaft plans, handing the results to the Eternal alongside the completed Dom Trooper units.

The Destiny is intended to be the culmination of the impulse project, a self suffient unit capable of all of the functions embodied in the entire impulse project. As Zaft considered the Impulse weapons system to be etier most powerful trump card, they veiwed it's sucessor unit in the same light, not really knowing that their cancelled Freedom and Justice project was being assembled elsewhere.
Gundam Models, Reviews, and more at http://www.gundamscope.com
HalfDemonInuyasha

And I don't recall where, I think it might've been here as a rumor or something, but I thought I read that the Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice (or at least just the SF) were originally meant to be MP versions of the original Freedom and Justice and that units built by Terminal were actually vastly upgraded compared to their original designs; adding in things like perhaps some weaponry, the Voiture Lumiere propulsion system, and possibly the DRAGOON system and such on the SF while adding the extra close-combat weaponry and perhaps some other things for the IJ. Both of them getting the beam shield which was only recently introduced with the Destiny and Legend.

They did do similar things to the discarded DOM Trooper after all.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
neolordmaxwell

I remember reading something similar. I also recall that none of the model kit instruction manuals have agreed with one another other than that Zaft designs were captured and rebuilt by Terminal. I'm under the impression that the Freedom and Justice units were intended to be superior versions of the originals, updating highly sucessful weapons with the newest technology in the same way the Legend Gundam had done with the Providence.

I'm also under the assumption that the project was halted when the Armor One assault took place, as Zaft redirected it's energies to recoup from the loss of intellegence that would have been a natural result of that incident. But again, the actual evidence there is sorely lacking.
quasadra

Destiny is the perfect suit built around Shinn(at least thats Durandal's case), after analyzing Shinn's combat data. it is a thrump card to be piloted by their best pilot. as to 1 on 1 versus, its more on skill than machine. Shinn is just too hot headed to win anything above grunt level.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
neolordmaxwell

Being that the Destiny Gundam is the culmination of the Impulse project, and that shinn was the dedicated test pilot of the Impulse, nearly all of the Destiny Gundam's combat data would originally come from Shinn, which is, in my impression, the quote "The Destiny Gundam was built for Shinn" originates from.
quasadra

i am pretty sure Durandal said the suit is built for Shinn when he first unveiled it to Shinn and Athrun. but it been a while since i watch Destiny.
neolordmaxwell

I will refrain from simply stating "Dullendal said a lot of things", and state that while the statement that the Destiny was built for Shinn was made, it's more likely to be an implication that this suit was built based on your previous machine and to specifications derived from your combat record so you have been named it's designated pilot.

All of Zaft's stage 3 Gundams seem to have been based on Zaft's previously sucessful suits, so it's fitting that the fourth unit would be based on the Impulse- The Impulse had been Zaft's most sucessful unit since the first Bloody Valentine war. (The Impulse had even specfically been used to test the Destiny Gundam's weapon systems, thanks to the Destiny Sillouette)
quasadra

yeah you are right. scratch that. ironicly, i always get the feel that Destiny is a close combat unit.

short range:
big sword
boomerang/short sword
palm cannon

long range:
beam rifle
beam cannon

it seem to be somewhat lacking in the long range department. when compareing to other super prototype.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Well, its very speed also seems to support it being a close-combat-oriented unit. Use its speed to evade attacks while, at the same time, moving in closer.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
neolordmaxwell

My personal take on it is that it's the most evenly balanced of the four super prototypes.

The Infinite Justice is completly close combat oriented.
The Strike Freedom has an overload of ranged weapons
The Legend Gundam is geared completly around al all range attack,
The Destiny Gundam has an equal close and long range combat capacity

You can kind of look at it as the Ryu of the Gundam Seed Destiny Gundam lineup... well balanced attacks, but doesn't do any one thing better than any other unit.
Gadget

quasadra wrote:yeah you are right. scratch that. ironicly, i always get the feel that Destiny is a close combat unit.

short range:
big sword
boomerang/short sword
palm cannon

long range:
beam rifle
beam cannon

it seem to be somewhat lacking in the long range department. when compareing to other super prototype.
Sorry, but I disagree.

Big sword. It's an Anti Ship Sword. Not good for close combat. Too big and bulk. Good for slicing up ship.

Saberangs. It's a 'returning'(?) beam weapon as PS armor can be damage by beam base weapons. Can be use as beam daggers.

Palm cannon. Not really sure what it do except blow up limbs. Have to be physically in contact with target. Unless you fight like Goku, a weapon is mostly better than bear hands.

Now, why did the Gundam is named after a colony/world wide genetic/eugenic plan? Shinn is to enforce the Destiny Plan?
AmuroNT1

Gadget wrote:Sorry, but I disagree.

Big sword. It's an Anti Ship Sword. Not good for close combat. Too big and bulk. Good for slicing up ship.

Saberangs. It's a 'returning'(?) beam weapon as PS armor can be damage by beam base weapons. Can be use as beam daggers.

Palm cannon. Not really sure what it do except blow up limbs. Have to be physically in contact with target. Unless you fight like Goku, a weapon is mostly better than bear hands.

Now, why did the Gundam is named after a colony/world wide genetic/eugenic plan? Shinn is to enforce the Destiny Plan?
Shinn never really seemed to have any trouble swinging the beam sword around with ease.

The palm cannon can actually fire at a range, it's just most commonly associated with the "Shinning Finger".

And the Gundam was probably named for the esoteric concept of destiny rather than the Destiny Plan in specific.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Gadget

Shinn is a 'super ace'. And it was an ASS that took down Freedom. But it work best against grunts and over sized gundam, like Destroyer. But SF destroyed the ASS and it shows that it is not a good close combat weapon.