save the knightmares

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Commander 598

Post by Commander 598 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:58 pm

ShadowCell wrote:We do this for shows that are currently running because they generate the most interest, and keeping all the discussion in one place prevents the forum from getting clogged up with a thousand "hay gaiz l00k att tihs!1!!1!!11!" threads. Instead, only one individual thread gets clogged up with a thousand "hay gaiz l00k att tihs!1!!1!!11!" posts.
This also makes them effectively unsearchable. Looking for vague information in a 20 page thread post by post is a serious ordeal. I also think you seriously overestimate the number of the posts you would get. If it's that easy to tell everyone to dump everything in one thread wouldn't it also be just as easy to point everyone to a sticky stating: "Search button - use it."?
What is 'official' is usually decided by the studio, and 'official' book may get discredited.
Like, Gundam Century? A source that goes as far as to list the actual velocity for the Operation British colony drop as well as containing some exceptionally accurate and realistic technical figures on mobile suits is trumped by sources that give asteroid busting weapons the power output of a modern toaster oven. (Exaggerated of course)

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Commander 598 wrote:This also makes them effectively unsearchable. Looking for vague information in a 20 page thread post by post is a serious ordeal. I also think you seriously overestimate the number of the posts you would get. If it's that easy to tell everyone to dump everything in one thread wouldn't it also be just as easy to point everyone to a sticky stating: "Search button - use it."?
Because we tell people to use the Search button all the time anyway and they never do. Leaving it in one place is more convenient, and the actual information is always a lot easier to find than some random bit of speculation buried under all the other random bits of speculation. And it's not like there's ever any information here that isn't posted first elsewhere (Koshimizu's Code Geass spoilers and Gunota come to mind).

People would be bitching if we had a million threads on the same thing anyway, so either way it doesn't really matter, does it?

Gelmax

Post by Gelmax » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:39 pm

Well, the motion to delete failed, so I guess that's all for this thread. If you fellows really want to "save the knightmares", however, how about you go put some sources on that article? And by that I don't mean cite the show and the official website for every statement, I mean hit up a few of those magazine articles and stuff to use as sources.

Brave Fencer Kirby

Post by Brave Fencer Kirby » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:54 pm

Commander 598 wrote:This also makes them effectively unsearchable. Looking for vague information in a 20 page thread post by post is a serious ordeal.
I've just got to say that I agree with this completely. "Official" threads make sense in certain situations -- during a broadcast, say, so that everyone can comment on the episode that just aired in the same place instead of cluttering the boards up with a thousand "hey, here's what I just noticed about the new episode" threads. For almost anything else, though, they're detrimental -- they discourage going in-depth about a particular topic (because new, unrelated topics are always popping up and the discussion moves on), and they make it impossible to look up already-discussed information easily. Even if disbanding the official threads would lead to a lot of repetitive threads, all it takes is a link to the older thread and a lock. Or if you REALLY don't want the repetitive ones cluttering things up, PM the person who opened the thread a link to the old thread, and delete the new one entirely -- though that has a chance of causing some confusion.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!

Chris
Administrator

Post by Chris » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:55 pm

This is not a thread about how we make threads here. We have official threads for currently airing shows because that's how I want it organized. End of story. If people can't be bothered to look through a thread to find the posts they're looking for, that's their problem. Some forums have similar style "official" threads that can run hundreds of pages, so there's no reason to be complaining about how we do things here.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

Typezero09

Post by Typezero09 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:25 am

Hi, I have some unusual images I made of knightmares, recolorings, customizing and so on, here is just one example of a Glouester put to civil service, as a Knightpolice Swatunit., this is a work in progress.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh88 ... police.jpg
RefBoarding, Like Surfing is a Mile High, High!

reeoyuy

Post by reeoyuy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:39 am

Nice, but isn't that supposed to be in Art & Multimedia section?
Last edited by reeoyuy on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Yes, it is.

This thread has no more purpose, since the Knightmare Frame page isn't about to be deleted again. So, locked.