ZZ Gundam and its Mysterious Panoramic Monitor

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
pozdniakov

ZZ Gundam and its Mysterious Panoramic Monitor

For those who've seen the ZZ in action, we all know it uses a teeny corefighter as its main cockpit block. When it docks with the ZZ Top and ZZ Bottom fighters it just folds up and there is no space whatsoever in the cockpit to allow a 360 panoramic monitor and linear seat. Just how the heck did that transformation work and where did the 360 cockpit come from on the machine? Does Judau just change cockpit?
Albireo_818

I always thought that (as an In-universe explanation) the monitors were a very thin cellophane-like sheet that was mechanically folded out, onto which the images were projected.
But this raises queries on the projector.

Otherwise, it's one of those little Gundam animation quirks that we will probably get not explanation for.
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
Ryujin

Albireo_818 wrote:I always thought that (as an In-universe explanation) the monitors were a very thin cellophane-like sheet that was mechanically folded out, onto which the images were projected.
But this raises queries on the projector.
Given a bit more development, this is one possibility that's flexible enough to roll up & store, but doesn't require a separate projector. The tech was very obscure & esoteric when ZZ was filmed, though.
MrMarch

I thought the problem was more a question of space rather than a foldable monitor (we do see the panoramic monitor damaged in Gundam 0080). I could see collapsable monitors folded away for storage in the corefighter, but then where do they find the space for the enlarged cockpit in the Mobile Suit?

Honestly, I think it's an anime magic explanation. It really can't work, but it does because the animators need it to work :)
Last edited by MrMarch on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuro No Sakura

well ZZ gundam always have bugs
One time when Judau was using Zeta and his shield got broken
next thing you know he went transform and suddenly the shield come back

back to the topic
the when ZZ combine the core fighter folded and the seat go in to some sort of a hole in the back, the front close up and there you have a 360 cockpit

there's just my guess but i think it's a educated one since in one of the ZZ DVD cover (japanese one anyways) it clearly show the floor of the core fighter's cockpit(in fighter mode) is part of a 360 screen that turn off
here's a picture
Last edited by Kuro No Sakura on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pozdniakov

As Mr March said it is more a question of space. Judau's panoramic cockpit looks the same size as the Zeta's yet it would no way in hell fit inside that tiny core fighter.

Ah yeah the seat looked funny now i take a good look at it.
Last edited by pozdniakov on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryujin

pozdniakov wrote: This being a rendering of the ZZ gundam's cockpit, albeit of terrible quality.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's the NZ-000 Quin Mantha's cockpit.
iguanaman8989

Actually, it seems that the cockpit opens up when it all comes together, as seen in the scan of the MG model instruction book.

Here, via Dalong's scan.

So it seems that the actual monitors are probably built into the Core Top, not the core fighter itself.
pozdniakov

iguanaman8989 wrote:Actually, it seems that the cockpit opens up when it all comes together, as seen in the scan of the MG model instruction book.

Here, via Dalong's scan.

So it seems that the actual monitors are probably built into the Core Top, not the core fighter itself.
Thing is the core fighters canopy forms one layer of the main hatch, so its blocking access from the cockpit to the core top. As Kuro no sakura said, the corefighter has the monitors inside it but the rest remains a mystery.
Lans

MrMarch wrote:I thought the problem was more a question of space rather than a foldable monitor (we do see the panoramic monitor damaged in Gundam 0080). I could see collapsable monitors folded away for storage in the corefighter, but then where do they find the space for the enlarged cockpit in the Mobile Suit?

Honestly, I think it's an anime magic explanation. It really can't work, but it does because the animators need it to work :)
Actually I was hoping that someone might show up and giving explanation about this, but apparently it's another ZZ "magic".
MrMarch

Well, in ZZ's defense, most anime shows use varying degrees of anime magic to make things work. Some examples are more extreme than others.
toysdream

I took a quick look through the line art and kit manuals, and there doesn't really seem to be much of an explanation. Perhaps, as with the Victory Gundam, the monitor image is simply displayed on the inside of the canopy window. Don't ask me how, though!

-- Mark
Gadget

Maybe it's the same technology that Hero uses. How come we cannot see the handgun outline from his black, skin thight spendex bike shorts. :roll:

Projecting on the canopy is not that difficult. It's the impression that it's a 360 moniter that's defy believe.
Dark Duel

Gadget wrote:Maybe it's the same technology that Hero uses. How come we cannot see the handgun outline from his black, skin thight spendex bike shorts. :roll:
Well, rewatching the whole show recently...I forget whether it's that episode or the one immediately prior, but there's one shot that very clearly shows the gun tucked into the waistband of the shorts, behind his back.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Lans

I just remembered about RX-78 II GP03 Stamen. The Master Grade version give 2 core block for the cockpit compartment. The one capable of turning into a Stamen style core fighter and the other is the 360-panoramic monitor ball-like cockpit. If you choose to use the core fighter then the cockpit is similar to GP01 cockpit, that is without panoramic monitor. On the other hand when you use the other block, you can get panoramic monitor but lose the core-fighter capability.

I think it should be the same case with ZZ. There's simply too little space in the core figher / booster to make up the space for panoramic monitor and cockpit.
Kuro No Sakura

lans* wrote:I just remembered about RX-78 II GP03 Stamen. The Master Grade version give 2 core block for the cockpit compartment. The one capable of turning into a Stamen style core fighter and the other is the 360-panoramic monitor ball-like cockpit. If you choose to use the core fighter then the cockpit is similar to GP01 cockpit, that is without panoramic monitor. On the other hand when you use the other block, you can get panoramic monitor but lose the core-fighter capability.

I think it should be the same case with ZZ. There's simply too little space in the core figher / booster to make up the space for panoramic monitor and cockpit.
No GP01 core fighter is added later when it turn into MG so is not that official
ZZ's core fighter for sure it turn into 360 cockpit because ZZ doesn't have a non transformable core block like the MG GP03S

and about V it never state that it is a 360 cockpit
It's just a normal fighter cockpit when it turn into V the glass cover turn into monitor
someone already mention Crossbone also have this configuration
kasperow

Re:

Kuro No Sakura wrote:
lans* wrote:I just remembered about RX-78 II GP03 Stamen. The Master Grade version give 2 core block for the cockpit compartment. The one capable of turning into a Stamen style core fighter and the other is the 360-panoramic monitor ball-like cockpit. If you choose to use the core fighter then the cockpit is similar to GP01 cockpit, that is without panoramic monitor. On the other hand when you use the other block, you can get panoramic monitor but lose the core-fighter capability.

No GP01 core fighter is added later when it turn into MG so is not that official
ZZ's core fighter for sure it turn into 360 cockpit because ZZ doesn't have a non transformable core block like the MG GP03S

and about V it never state that it is a 360 cockpit
It's just a normal fighter cockpit when it turn into V the glass cover turn into monitor
someone already mention Crossbone also have this configuration
Actually, to be fair, the Crossbone Core Fighters just dock with the Gundams through the back, and as such, nobody can be sure whether they actually dock right into a 360 view-screen or not.
mcred23

Re: ZZ Gundam and its Mysterious Panoramic Monitor

Please don't grave dig and post in threads that have been dead for a while, particularly one as long as this one was.

Locked.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')