Arm Mounted Weapons

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Commissar Bright Noa

Arm Mounted Weapons

Is there a in universe reason for the lack of arm mounted weapons such as guns and beam sabers like the NT-1 and Exia?
Jak Crow

The Exia is supposed to be a close combat unit, though it does have the particle gun and the vulcans in the arms, and 4 beam sabers that have been used several times.
Last edited by Jak Crow on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His Divine Shadow

There are more out there than just those two. Gerbera Tetra had arm-mounted weapons, for example, as did certain Gelgoog variants if memory serves me correctly. It's not common, probably due to the danger of losing such weapons to simple arm damage, but it's more prevalent than it seems.
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
Recon 5

There are actually many mobile suits and mobile armors with arm- mounted weapons. However, most mass- production suits are geared towards adaptability, and thus favor weapons that can be easily switched when mission requirements suddenly change. For example, a Jegan in the process of mounting a large beam cannon for artillery duty can be quickly switched to a missile pack if inbound enemies are detected.

Most units with built- in weapons are prototypes where new equipment might need better structural support, stability, protection or a more direct connection to the reactor. Another reason for the weapons on prototypes being built in is so that they go down with the suit in defeat and the enemy doesn't get some tasty free tech.
Last edited by Recon 5 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

actually it became quite the common practice on Zeta era units like the Zeta Gundam itself, along with units like the Dreissen and the Qubeley
Commissar Bright Noa

Now to ask another question: Why aren't their any MS with arm mounted beam sabers? It'd be quicker than to have to pull the saber from the backpack. (Also I'm talking about sabers mounted like the Gundam Spiegel's swords not victory's arm beam saber holder thing.)
Mark064

Because you've never heard of the GM Sniper Custom?
Commissar Bright Noa

Mark064 wrote:Because you've never heard of the GM Sniper Custom?
Alright, then why isn't it common practice to have one?

I'd like answers, not snarky one liners.
Mark064

You are asking for answers for questions that you aren't going to get answers out of. As they are creations from the mecha designers and toy departments input.
Nightwing03

Yes indeed it depends on Mecha designers if they want to mount a weapon on the arm or not, IIRC there has not been any in universe explanation to why not many mobile suits have arm mounted weapons. The 2 main suits that i can remember that have beam sabers mounted on the arm are V Gundam and Nu Gundam.
♣♦♠♥
Duraham

Nightwing03 wrote: IIRC there has not been any in universe explanation to why not many mobile suits have arm mounted weapons.
Aquatic MS have in-built weapons to make themselves more streamlined. as for the Gouf's finger machine guns, that's probably for a sort of extreme close-range ranged weapon. There's also the Gelgoog Jager with the forearm machinegun, and the Dom and Rick Dom which are supposed to have a beam weapon it its chest, but ended up becoming a makeshift flashbang.

in fact, for the OYW series, there's more MS with inbuilt weapons than not for the Zeon side. check out the Zeong for example.

as for arm mounted beam sabers, there's the very recent Unicorn Gundam. and also Aegis.
Recon 5

Just a note: the 'arm mounted sabers' Bright referred to are beam blade emitters built into the arms or wrists of a MS, not separate sabers stored in the arms.

These are understandably rare because good saber use involves a lot of wristwork, something difficult to achieve if your saber is locked in a forward position relative to your arm.

bluemax151

Commissar Bright Noa wrote:
Mark064 wrote:Because you've never heard of the GM Sniper Custom?
Alright, then why isn't it common practice to have one?
I can't imagine they'd be all that practical in the military. Schwarz Bruder is a skilled martial artist trained in "German Ninjutsu" and using a mobile trace system to control his MF in mostly 1 on 1 encounters. Personally I view the beam saber (tonfa) on the Sniper Custom as more of a defensive "oh you got close to me I need to defend vs your attack now" kind of weapon and remember the setup was not even standard on all Sniper Customs as they were setup to suit the pilots needs.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Kuruni

Do it yourself, bide an iron ruler to your arm. Then challenge someone with equal skill for "saber fight". You will realize that hold saber in hand is more flexible (thank to wrist), allow better swordplay.

It's more limit when pilot a mech, but advantage is still there. More than enough to nullify less-than second "faster pull out" advantage of arm-mount sword.
My girlfriend was a loli.
auriga

We talked about this topic at a different forum. What Kuruni said is exactly right, but this isn't just about flexibility... A hand-held sword means you have an extra joint - your wrist - so you get extra flexibility and shock absorption which is vital for sword fights.
Renegade334

Commissar Bright Noa wrote:Now to ask another question: Why aren't their any MS with arm mounted beam sabers? It'd be quicker than to have to pull the saber from the backpack. (Also I'm talking about sabers mounted like the Gundam Spiegel's swords not victory's arm beam saber holder thing.)
Ehhh....
GAT-X303 Aegis?
Psycho Mk II?

As for mechs that have true, arm-fixed weapons, maybe the Gekkas and Guren Nishiki from Code Geass could spring to mind...?
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
jam!

There's also the GM Cannon II from Gundam 0083.

Additionally, some MS would store their beam sabers in the forearms which would slide down into the arms for use. The Quebley is one of the first to use this method IIRC.
Recon 5

Renegade334 wrote:As for mechs that have true, arm-fixed weapons, maybe the Gekkas and Guren Nishiki from Code Geass could spring to mind...?
The Gurren Nishiki is a bad example because its arm is a weapon.

Renegade334

Recon 5 wrote:
Renegade334 wrote:As for mechs that have true, arm-fixed weapons, maybe the Gekkas and Guren Nishiki from Code Geass could spring to mind...?
The Gurren Nishiki is a bad example because its arm is a weapon.
Ahem. I'm talking about the other arm. Its right hand does house the Radiation Wave emitter (which was shorn off in the last two episodes) but the other limb (the left one) features a fixed shotgun.

- http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7100 ... dvdhk5.jpg
Last edited by Renegade334 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
Zangetsu

Commissar Bright Noa wrote:Now to ask another question: Why aren't their any MS with arm mounted beam sabers? It'd be quicker than to have to pull the saber from the backpack. (Also I'm talking about sabers mounted like the Gundam Spiegel's swords not victory's arm beam saber holder thing.)
Hand mounted is better than arm mounted as people have demonstrated. However a question I have is the beam saber mounted in the feet/ legs is that a good thing or not? I would think it is because it lets you hold you gun and shield and defend in close combat.
"Paladin Anderson, Executioner Anderson, Bayonet Anderson, Dust to Dust Anderson, Assassin Anderson, Regenerator Anderson, Killing Judge Anderson"-Millennium Soldiers