The Official Gundam 00 Mecha Thread Build 6.0

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ShadowCell

The Official Gundam 00 Mecha Thread Build 6.0

New thread. We don't tend to have trouble with the mecha threads, but please be aware that this thread is for discussion of the mecha and technology of Gundam 00, not the plot, setting, and characters--that goes in the Anime thread. Please tag your spoilers and refrain from being dicks.
Jak Crow wrote:
Recon 5 wrote:Although you'd think that an island suddenly turning into a huge cloud of static on your sat- cam viewscreen would be very suspicious... not to mention that the kind of interference produced would knock any nearby fly- by- wire suits straight out of the air. Remember what the Virtue did during the elevator incident? The pods clearly produced more GN particles than that.

Exactly. We're left with TPTB doing a little un-needed exposision.
Last edited by ShadowCell on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Haha, first post!

To cut a long debate short (hopefully) I'm pretty sure that it's been confirmed that almost everything Celestial Being owns is powered by the four Solar Furnace GN Drives installed in the four Gundams.

Also I would suggest that the reason the Throne Eins exploded so spectacularly is because it received a direct hit to its GN Tau drive?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Indicible

In episode 22, Setsuna sliced what looks like the Zwei's GN Fangs Lancher, before Ali ran for it.
I would say the Gundams implement what we have seen for the Tieren Taosi: detachable parts. IMO, Ali used that piece as a mask for his escape.

They said they needed to replace Dynames? Does that mean they have some spare bodies in which only the GN Drive is missing?
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame.
auriga

Exactly. We're left with TPTB doing a little un-needed exposision.
Maybe, but that's a different story. How does that change the fact that the Gundams aren't charged?
I would say the Gundams implement what we have seen for the Tieren Taosi: detachable parts.
Given the "modularity" of the Thrones' design... Your theory may be valid.
Neo-Era

Dunno if it was pointed out yet but the top of Bandai Hobby's site has a promo pic where the upcoming HG kit is called the GN Arms Type E + Gundam Exia (Trans-am Mode). I guess that implies there's a Type D or Type V lying around...
Gunota Headlines: Daily Gundam newsblog
The New Adventures Of Tomino-sama: Not-so daily Gundam parody webcomic
wing zero alpha

Surprising, I didn't realize my last post would get a personal response to it. And since the author took the time to address the post directly to me, especially notable since it was his first post, I suppose it would be within manners to reply.
I'm betting you'd be the first to moan if this series was about the meisters just killing everyone with no threat to themselves.
If I were like that, I wouldn't be a Gundam fan, because practically every single series is like that from square one. It's the how in the matter that sets them apart, whether be it superior skill and/or creativity (as displayed by Kamille Biden, Judau Ashita, Uso Ebbing, Heero Yuy, Trowa Barton, Wufei Chang and Shinn Asuka), initially superior technology with skills coming later (Amuro Ray, Duo Maxwell, Quatre Rababa Winner, Loran Cercheck and Kira Yamato) or in the case of 00 a seemingly eternal supply of deus ex machina.
Also Setsuna isn't a real person, so cut out the barely contained rage towards him (this is to people in general not just you). If he loses a battle its because the writers wrote that he would, not because he lacks skill, he's not sodding real. He's as skillful as they decide he is that weak. The only consistant person in the anime is Graham, and that's because they're planning to break your heart
First of all, I hold no rage to Setsuna; as you said, he's not a real person, so to hold anger toward his character would be pointless. For future reference, I suggest you not to confuse disappointment or disliking with rage. Second, it would be simple enough to point out that the fate of all Gundam pilots rests on how the writers put them out, but that would defeat the point of this message board, and it also goes against one of the Admin rules I believe (admittingly it's been a while since I looked at them). So it's best to keep the subject within the show parameters and not simply write it off as "Mizushima demanded it so."

But enough of that. I have a mecha relevent question for this thread: I might be wrong, but I think the Trinitys' normal suits were designed to latch onto the back of their cockpit seats like the regular Meisters, apparently as a security precaution or an additional control feature. That said, can any body guess how Ali was able to control the Zwei so well even though he was still wearing his "normal" normal suit?
jam!

But enough of that. I have a mecha relevent question for this thread: I might be wrong, but I think the Trinitys' normal suits were designed to latch onto the back of their cockpit seats like the regular Meisters, apparently as a security precaution or an additional control feature. That said, can any body guess how Ali was able to control the Zwei so well even though he was still wearing his "normal" normal suit?
The same way he can control an Enact? Lol.
I don't think it takes much to sit down in a cockpit. Should be similar to sitting down in a carseat ...maybe without seatbelts.
wing zero alpha

jam! wrote:The same way he can control an Enact? Lol.
I don't think it takes much to sit down in a cockpit. Should be similar to sitting down in a carseat ...maybe without seatbelts.
You misunderstand Jam. If you look at the back of the Trinitys' normal suits, you'll see that they have these little pods to them. In similar manner, the Ptoly Meisters have jacks on the back of their suits that plug into ports in their cockpit seats. Since the Gundams can be controlled without the packs being plugged in and the main security measure for the Gundams is the eye scan (at least for the initial four), I figured that the packs were made to aid in the control of the Gundams; my guess is they relay neural data from the Meisters. So again, I wonder how Ali was able to control the Zwei better than Michael ever could (bad enough that the Zwei's cockpit and control system is in no way similar to the Enact's and Ali has had no prior experience with the machine) without one of those pods/packs.
Recon 5

Recall that Ali is a mercenary, not a free agent. He may have been working for the PMC, but there's no telling who else is actually pulling his strings, or what training and modifications he might have received from them between his time with kiddie Setsuna and the beginning of his PMC career. He might even have received the training/ mods secretly while working for the PMC.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
ORegan

maybe it's a new version of the seatbelt? I don't see how it would be possible/effective to control a part of the gundam with your back. It could be a connector much like a key to a car. And before someone says anything about the Gundam's starting up without the pilot inside, remember that car keys can now be started with the keys outside by pressing a button.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
jam!

Your guess is most likely wrong.

Ali is wayy more experienced in MS combat than Michael and if you noticed, Ali stuck to what he knew best: melee combat. I think that's why he got Johann so easily. Zwei is just fasty and has better melee than the Enact ever did.

Also...isn't discussion of pilots for the Anime thread?
ORegan

jam! wrote: Also...isn't discussion of pilots for the Anime thread?

Well not if you're talking about "CPU Pilots"...whatever the hell those are.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Exia

CPU pilots as in Gundam Wing? Better known as Mobile Dolls. I hope things like that don't show up in Gundam 00 ;)
Ok, it was my mistake i forgot that the original Gundams were not charged. But this should give them an advantage over the GN-X, at least if they fight a battle of attrition.
neogeo1990

Indicible wrote: They said they needed to replace Dynames? Does that mean they have some spare bodies in which only the GN Drive is missing?
Most likely, if they have 4 other Gundams and probably many more. They'd just have to get the GN Drive out and plug it into the new one.
Meteoid

I think he said they'll need to replace the whole cockpit unit, which makes more sense than replacing the whole gundam
wing zero alpha

ORegan wrote:maybe it's a new version of the seatbelt? I don't see how it would be possible/effective to control a part of the gundam with your back. It could be a connector much like a key to a car. And before someone says anything about the Gundam's starting up without the pilot inside, remember that car keys can now be started with the keys outside by pressing a button.
Well, with the eye scan and voice recognition system, it sort of defeats the purpose of having them then, doesn't it? On the other hand, I never considered it being a futuristic version of a seatbelt, which is probably it since there aren't any safety harnesses in those cockpits.
Ali is wayy more experienced in MS combat than Michael and if you noticed, Ali stuck to what he knew best: melee combat. I think that's why he got Johann so easily. Zwei is just fasty and has better melee than the Enact ever did.
Obviously you're not a professional pilot or driver yourself Jam otherwise you would know how much of a difference there would be in transferring from one machine to another. Not only is the cockpit setup for the Zwei completely different from the Enact, but again obviously it performs on a different scale from the Enact, and yet despite admitting that he was unused to it Ali had instant mastery over the Zwei. For a real world example, it'd be like having a Navy pilot who's used to flying a F-14 Tomcat switch over to the Air Force where he'd be assigned to a F-22 Raptor and expecting him to use the Raptor with the same skills and experience that he flew the Tomcat with. Or if you prefer to keep things in Gundam standards, it's the same thing as transferring from a GM type suit to a Zeta Gundam. Without any prior training or simulation work on the new machine, then odds are you're going to have to go through an adjustment period before you can get the machine to perform at its full potential, even if the machine in question just happens to fit your piloting style.
Also...isn't discussion of pilots for the Anime thread?
It was originally in regards to equipment, which belongs to the mecha thread.
Recon 5 wrote:Recall that Ali is a mercenary, not a free agent. He may have been working for the PMC, but there's no telling who else is actually pulling his strings, or what training and modifications he might have received from them between his time with kiddie Setsuna and the beginning of his PMC career. He might even have received the training/ mods secretly while working for the PMC.
For good reason I highly doubt the PMC offers training on Celestial Being equipment, since up to a few months ago nobody knew CB existed. However, the possibility that Ali had been recruited by a different source to take control of a Gundam himself does exist, but knowing our luck we probably won't know til the next season.
flamingtroll

What's wrong with Ali knowing how to pilot the Zwei anyway? He has been implied to know a lot more than he appeared for quite a while. It's not like he randomly decided to take Zwei. He could track down where the Trinity were when they were supposed to be on the run. He chose to meet them after another attack by the HRL. He knew which suit to take and he made sure he injured Johan enough so that he could take him out easily. I am sure he would have taken the time to learn how to pilot it when he got on. Either the Throne has similar controls to GN-X or Lagna had some simulators for the Thrones lying around.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I just had a crazy idea. What if the Gundams' armor is like Phase Shift armor, but instead of the SEED color change with water version, GN Particles are distributed through the armor making it much tougher to damage than your normal armor.

Yay or nay? And sorry if this has been brought t up before.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
wing zero alpha

flamingtroll wrote:What's wrong with Ali knowing how to pilot the Zwei anyway? He has been implied to know a lot more than he appeared for quite a while. It's not like he randomly decided to take Zwei. He could track down where the Trinity were when they were supposed to be on the run. He chose to meet them after another attack by the HRL. He knew which suit to take and he made sure he injured Johan enough so that he could take him out easily. I am sure he would have taken the time to learn how to pilot it when he got on. Either the Throne has similar controls to GN-X or Lagna had some simulators for the Thrones lying around.
Call me a nitpicker, but I have trouble stomaching any human being gaining instant mastery of a machine from the moment they step in, even with prior experience with the machine type or mockpit simulations. Also, it doesn't look like much time has past since the GN-Xs got past out to the three powers (at best I'd say maybe a month or two), which doesn't leave Ali a lot of time to train for using the Zwei. Which in turn also assumes Laguna actually did betray the Trinitys before Ali killed him and allow Ali to have some training to control the suit (then again, it's possible since Ali was able to bypass the Zwei's security systems) instead of simply getting him a GN-X like Ali originally wanted.

And on a side note, the Throne cockpit doesn't seem to be the same as the GN-X; the GN-X's design is simpler, likely so "regular" military pilots could adapt to them quickly, whereas the Thrones' look fairly complex.
jam!

In the age of technological advancements, switching between mobile suits should be akin to switching between cars if not, as you say, switching between fighter planes.

Now Ali has lots of experience with mobile suit piloting and from what we've seen of the Throne Gundams' cockpits, they are deceptively simple looking. Add to that that Ali didn't try using the fangs or increasing GN output or some other crazy feature and stuck to the basics which were pushing the speed high-throttle, swinging the sword and firing the gun then why would he need lots of training if he's so experienced?
Also, it's your own assumption that Ali was using it to its full potential. He was just using it better than Michel ever seemed to.

I think the hardest thing was whatever he did to bypass the security system on the Zwei and he was probably helped by Livonze and Alejandro to do that as well as find the Thrones especially since he knew all about them. However, that information could've also come from Lagna as you and others have supposed.

It is entirely possible that Lagna gave him information on the Throne Gundams when Ali was pressuring him to give him a GN-X however I doubt Lagna had a MS simulator in stock that was tuned specifically to using the Throne Gundams more so, the Throne Zwei. It is possible though but somehow unlikely.

I don't think the back-thing could be a control-unit. It's likely there just like the backpacks of every other Gundam pilot from almost every series. They don't really serve a function though we may assume they could have in rations and medical supplies in case of being marooned.

Since you asked: I'm an electrical and computer engineer and I do drive. I've done an analysis on rocket propulsion focusing particularly on military advancements. I know a few things about technology.