Beam Sabers in CCA

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
LaBambaMan

Beam Sabers in CCA

Ok, I just watched CCA again for like the thousandth time and something's been bugging me. Their beam sabers. They aren't always out in a full blade, and on most occasions are just a little sorta' spark of energy at the end of the hilt. Is this some type of special beam saber that I missed the explination of by not watching ZZ or is it just one of those design choices made by the animators?

-Spencer
"Because frankly you're thinking entirely too hard about the physics behind giant flying robots." - Homeless
Wingnut

I would guess it is a measure to make the blades last longer in battle before needing to be recharged.
You didn't miss any thing mentioned about beam sabers in previous Gundam productions.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Duraham

nope, just probably placed to a lower energy setting, for extended periods of battle.

beam sabers can have their power (and indirectly, length and width) altered, as shown in stardust memory, where Gato pushes the GP02A's beam saber to max, and the beam saber grew in both size and length.

another reason to the "small" beam sabers in CCA would be that they are on some kind of "standby mode". notice that once the slashing begins, those sabers are visually the same as beam sabers anywhere else in the gundam universe.
Skippy438

I do remember the ZZ using a saber in a similar fashion in a few of the later episodes, but that was the giant beam saber it carries. Probably just an energy saving protocol as others have stated.
LaBambaMan

Ok, I was just really lost for moment there. I personally think it looks really cool to have the blade extend to full length while in mid-swing.

-Spencer
"Because frankly you're thinking entirely too hard about the physics behind giant flying robots." - Homeless
Infinity Gundam

In episode 29 of gundam seed kira does the same thing too.