I field Beam drive, what is it?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
pozdniakov

I field Beam drive, what is it?

I watched Turn A Gundam recently, and have to say that its one of the best Anime's i've watched. Anyhow im just curious to see how the suit moves, supposedley the limbs and torso are all completely hollow save for the reactor and computer, and it moves due to and I-Field beam drive. What is the I field beam drive? Is it like the Wings of Light from the V2 gundam?
HalfDemonInuyasha

Presently, it's really unknown what it is...most of the capabilities of the Turn A and the Turn X are still shrouded in mystery in history, technology, and how any of their things work.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Kuro No Sakura

IFBD is used the I field machanic to move joints and stuff
like Minovsky drive pushs whole MS the IFBD push MS's part to replace traditional joint

but there is a down side to this tech
If you use it to wrestle with tranditional joint it will lose

In anime Turn A lost the wrestling match with zaku I
Recon 5

Hmm... the MAHQ profile says that the IFBD 'leaves the suit completely hollow'. My guess is that it somehow creates a form of I- field that fills the inside of the suit to maintain structural integrity and move parts, like Kuro said.

However, I believe that the Turn A does have joints, only the joints are built into the external armor as opposed to having an internal shaft and a bunch of hydraulics like traditional joints.

By the way, it was a Borjanon, not a Zaku.
pozdniakov

Oh right, seeing as I Fields repel charged or conductive surfaces. So basically the Turn A was completely hollow and joints were only present on the armor. I would love a manga or ova that shows us the origins of the white doll and its full capabilities. For example that beam cannon in the torso surprised me as Loran never used it. I loved the VR helmet to, and the way it spun its beam sabres around to make a shield, only Uso Evin has done this before (albeit in core top mode).
That machine never ceases to amaze me.!
DAG101

Recon 5 wrote:...Borjanon, not a Zaku.
They are (If UC is the dark history) the same thing, if not, they are, story-wise, the same.
thenuke9000

But you cannot consider that canon and plus it wasn't referred to as a Zaku but the Borjanon because of the fact that it was never stated that the correct century was a culmination of all of the universes by Tomino. That is just a speculation thus not canon.
BOOMER SOONER
Oh my God its a GUNDAM!!!!!!!!!!!
TUCK FEXAS
Kuruni

thenuke9000 wrote:That is just a speculation thus not canon.
It's plot of Turn A, Tomino doesn't like to be Captain Obvious.
My girlfriend was a loli.
HalfDemonInuyasha

thenuke9000 wrote:But you cannot consider that canon and plus it wasn't referred to as a Zaku but the Borjanon because of the fact that it was never stated that the correct century was a culmination of all of the universes by Tomino. That is just a speculation thus not canon.

So?? It's no surprise it wasn't called that because...

A.) The Zaku was LONG since "lost". The last time we see it being a couple split second glimpses in a MS museum in F91 (and the last ACTUAL usage seen being ZZ).

B.) Coupled with A, after, presumably, a few hundred to thousands of years before being excavated, of course it'd have no known name to those who found it, and given that it was a rich family and all, what better name to give it then to name it after the family?? Same thing with the Wilgem being named after the guy who found it; Will Game. Surely it had a different name when it was made and used in whatever period it might've come from, but at the time it was discovered, it was a "brand new" discovery.

But for all intents and purposes, it IS the Zaku II (and Zaku I for the Gavane Goonny Custom). Exact same look, exact same armaments and performance and such.

Same thing in real life. If we were to discover some sort of advanced technology buried that was presumably thousands of years old, yet more advanced than anything we thought of, we'd give it a different name too when it'd most likely already have a name by those who used it at its own time.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Gelmax

thenuke9000 wrote:But you cannot consider that canon and plus it wasn't referred to as a Zaku but the Borjanon because of the fact that it was never stated that the correct century was a culmination of all of the universes by Tomino. That is just a speculation thus not canon.
It was obviously the Zaku, though. Now whether it had the same performance as the UC's Zaku is a question that will probably never be answered, given that we know absolutely nothing about the circumstances in which the Zakus ended up buried and nanoskinned.
Mark064

Borjarnon's are actually refered to as Zaku look alikes (or something like that) by the Red Team. In the clipshow Loran also makes a comment about the Borjarnon specifically "There may be people who find it familiar, and are reminded of the Zaku that appeared in First Gundam." Like the Kapool they are simulair to the original and may even have an incredibly simulair name but are not 100% identical.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Gelmax wrote:
It was obviously the Zaku, though. Now whether it had the same performance as the UC's Zaku is a question that will probably never be answered, given that we know absolutely nothing about the circumstances in which the Zakus ended up buried and nanoskinned.
Eh, there were probably many leftover from the OYW and beyond by various forces in abandoned bases. I mean, as we see in 0083, some bases used to be mines and others being underground like Jaburo, so perhaps they were protected against the Turn A's Moonlight Butterfly, leaving them there "preserved" until discovered.
Wingnut

Save the Zaku/Borjanon debate for another thread.
This one is about the Turn-A's I-Field beam drive.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Aegis

Kuro No Sakura wrote:IFBD is used the I field machanic to move joints and stuff
like Minovsky drive pushs whole MS the IFBD push MS's part to replace traditional joint

but there is a down side to this tech
If you use it to wrestle with tranditional joint it will lose

In anime Turn A lost the wrestling match with zaku I
Not quite. Turn A 'lost' against the Borjornan because it was still damaged during a previous encounter and was losing power, thus it was barely able to hold up. That's not exactly a great example of IBFD versus traditional joints and hydraulics. Given the fact that the Turn A showed its strength to push a ship under its own power, is capable of wrestling a SUMO and the Turn X, AND the Turn X itself lifted a mobile suit that is twice its size with one arm, while the Borjornan was dead against a FLAT, another machine that the Turn A is capable of handling, I'd say the Turn A is the stronger of the two machines.
pozdniakov

Maybe because of the IFBD properties, the power can be regulated and is only dependent on how big the reactr is. If im correct Turn A's Reactor is at an approximately whopping 25000kw, therefore it mean that the pilot can increase the strength of the IFBD to suit the situation. I did see plasma emissions come out from the back of the suits legs once or twice, maybe this is the IFBD? However we haven't seen it hover continuously like the minovsky flight/craft systems of the V gundams.
Arsarcana

Somewhat off topic but G-Generation Spirits features what is supposed to be the Turn A at the height of its powers, achieved through giving it insane stats and a few attacks not seen in the anime. Or so I'm told, I haven't unlocked the final stage yet. Also, where exactly is the torso beam cannon? I can't recall seeing anything that looks like an emitter unless the missile tubes somehow pull double duty.
pozdniakov

Joseph uses the torso beam cannnon against Gym Gynghanham, the silo's right at the bottom of the torso open, two little nozzles protrude and bang!
Kuro No Sakura

Arsarcana wrote:Somewhat off topic but G-Generation Spirits features what is supposed to be the Turn A at the height of its powers, achieved through giving it insane stats and a few attacks not seen in the anime. Or so I'm told, I haven't unlocked the final stage yet. Also, where exactly is the torso beam cannon? I can't recall seeing anything that looks like an emitter unless the missile tubes somehow pull double duty.
I know I am playing it too
but 1 thing i want to point out that the game making team make a mistake
Turn A don't have Nuclear Missile until Loran find it in TV
so if G gen spirit features turn a before the moonlight butterfly event that delete all earth technology, that Turn A should not have Nuclear Missile
Aegis wrote:Not quite. Turn A 'lost' against the Borjornan because it was still damaged during a previous encounter and was losing power, thus it was barely able to hold up. That's not exactly a great example of IBFD versus traditional joints and hydraulics. Given the fact that the Turn A showed its strength to push a ship under its own power, is capable of wrestling a SUMO and the Turn X, AND the Turn X itself lifted a mobile suit that is twice its size with one arm, while the Borjornan was dead against a FLAT, another machine that the Turn A is capable of handling, I'd say the Turn A is the stronger of the two machines.
Now you mention it you are right
since SUMO and Turn X also use IFBD to move
If they can handle this big object then Turn A can too

And for all people that argue the Zaku-like MS is a Zaku or Borjarnon
Sorry about that I forget what they are call in Turn A so I said it's Zaku
but then everyone seem to know what that MS is and where that scene is My purpose of saying it is a Zaku is complete
Mark064

Kuro No Sakura wrote:I know I am playing it too
but 1 thing i want to point out that the game making team make a mistake
Turn A don't have Nuclear Missile until Loran find it in TV
so if G gen spirit features turn a before the moonlight butterfly event that delete all earth technology, that Turn A should not have Nuclear Missile
Not really there really is no telling what kind of missiles Turn A Gundam would have used in the past. So loading it with nuclear missiles makes as much sense as loading it with a regual kind. No identifiying factors either way. Of course the games would use nuclear missiles because that is what we saw in the anime.
Wingnut

Kuro No Sakura wrote:Now you mention it you are right
since SUMO and Turn X also use IFBD to move
If they can handle this big object then Turn A can too
SUMOs don't have the IFBD in them, and neither does the Turn X.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.