I field Beam drive, what is it?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Recon 5

More to the point about the Turn X: it CAN'T have an IFBD because then each of its pieces would be hollow and would not be able to mount weapons. SUMOs have I- Field generators, but their I Fields are OUTSIDE the suits, not INSIDE as with the Turn A- think more traditional stuff like that on the Dendrobium Orchis or Big Zam.
Kuro No Sakura

Wingnut wrote:
Kuro No Sakura wrote:Now you mention it you are right
since SUMO and Turn X also use IFBD to move
If they can handle this big object then Turn A can too
SUMOs don't have the IFBD in them, and neither does the Turn X.
I can Tell you SUMO is use IFBD
in 1/144 model construction menu clearly state
here
and here

For Turn X it make sense that it use IFBD because the joint can be spereate i dont think a traditional joint can do that
and also Turn A is reverse engineering Turn X to build it
so it is logical to state Turn X use IFBD also

I think you guys misunderstand complete hollow inside mean
even use IFBD you need stuff inside to generate I field
the official state that to explain why turn a can store missile launcher and scatter beam on it chest
Wingnut

I'll still take a second opinion by someone who can read that scan in full before I believe you.
If this does prove to be true, than a re-write of the profile is in order. However, you didn't prove anything for the Turn X using the IFBD. For this we need written examples, or something stated on screen for it to be confirmed to be a part of the unit.
Theory and speculation are not enough.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Kuro No Sakura

SUMO is indeed run IFBD
another refence support my saying
here <-- offical site

and find some refence regard Turn X run IFBD
this is japanese site witch state the destricption of turn X in game G generation F
here
It also state that it use IFBD in japanese wiki
here which you guys so bias about being not ture so this not count

also some random site state here

I will try to find other resouce to prof
Gelmax

"Some random site" isn't a reliable resource. The only credible site you listed there, the official Turn A Gundam website, doesn't list the SUMO as having an I-Field Beam Drive - it says that the SUMO has an I-Field Generator and can utilize an I-Field Restriction effect, but that's not the same thing as an IFBD. It also doesn't mention any I-field technology on the Turn X's page at all.
Kuro No Sakura

Gelmax wrote:"Some random site" isn't a reliable resource. The only credible site you listed there, the official Turn A Gundam website, doesn't list the SUMO as having an I-Field Beam Drive - it says that the SUMO has an I-Field Generator and can utilize an I-Field Restriction effect, but that's not the same thing as an IFBD. It also doesn't mention any I-field technology on the Turn X's page at all.
OMG guys read the text over there
is the first sentence said SUMO use IFBD
Iフィールドビーム駆動 is the Japanese word for IFBD (if you guys can read that Japanese text here)
turn a official site about SUMO wrote:高い運動性とレスポンスを持つ機体で、Iフィールドビーム駆動による高機動戦闘が可能である。
 重力下ではホバー走行のように地表面から浮上して高速移動する。
 さらに、同時代に開発されたMS(ターンエーなど)であれば、IFR(I Field Restriction)効果によって、敵ホーミング兵器や各種の火器、さらには機体そのもののコントロールを奪い、無力化する事ができる。
 尚、SUMOとは「Strike Unit for Maneuver Operation(機動戦闘ユニット)」の略である。型式番号の「MRC」は、「ムーンレィス・コメモレイション」の略で「F20」は「20番目に登録されたファイター(主力戦闘モビルスーツの意)」である。
same statement I posted earlier in the 1/144 SUMO construction menu
if some one have 1/100 SUMO menu that state it as well
toysdream

Wingnut wrote:I'll still take a second opinion by someone who can read that scan in full before I believe you.
This is getting a little silly. Yes, the SUMO has an I-Field Beam Drive, as Kuro No Sakura has been patiently pointing out; presumably, so does the Turn X.

The IFBD uses an external I-field to control and move the mobile suit, eliminating the need for internal drive systems and freeing up a whole bunch of internal space. As a result, the mobile suit's body can be hollow, but it doesn't have to be, and this extra internal space can be used for storing weapons just as it is in the Turn A itself.

-- Mark

P.S. Just to stir up an entirely unrelated controversy: It occurs to me that the fact that the Turn A, Turn X, and SUMO are apparently lighter when in operation could suggest a connection between their "seventh-generation Minovsky theory" and the GN Particles used in Gundam 00, which according to the HG Gundam Virtue kit manual also reduce the mobile suit's weight. Now there's something new to fight over!
Gelmax

Kuro No Sakura wrote:OMG guys read the text over there
is the first sentence said SUMO use IFBD
Iフィールドビーム駆動 is the Japanese word for IFBD (if you guys can read that Japanese text here)
Ah, I guess you're right. I ran it through a translator, and didn't notice it because it translated as "beam-driven field of high-mobility I", while it translated the other I-Field stuff just fine.
toydream wrote:P.S. Just to stir up an entirely unrelated controversy: It occurs to me that the fact that the Turn A, Turn X, and SUMO are apparently lighter when in operation could suggest a connection between their "seventh-generation Minovsky theory" and the GN Particles used in Gundam 00, which according to the HG Gundam Virtue kit manual also reduce the mobile suit's weight. Now there's something new to fight over!
Doesn't the Minovsky Craft system do basically the same thing, but to a larger degree? And GN particles are just Minovsky particles with even MORE ridiculously useful and miraculously widespread applications.
toysdream

Gelmax wrote:Doesn't the Minovsky Craft system do basically the same thing, but to a larger degree?
Nothing close. The Minovsky Craft system merely generates lift, producing an upward force that pushes the vessel away from the ground. Although this simulates anti-gravity, it's physically no different from the upward force generated by an aircraft's wings or the air cushion of a hovercraft.

The GN Drive, on the other hand, apparently reduces the mobile suit's effective mass. This is physically impossible with modern technology, and it presumably makes the mobile suit a lot more agile as well, just like the lower gravity of Mars or the moon. The "operating weight" specs listed for the Turn A, Turn X, and SUMO suggest that the same is true of them as well.

-- Mark
Recon 5

... Well, I stand corrected. Sorry Kuro.

So does that mean a profile rewrite is in order?
Wingnut

Recon 5 wrote:... Well, I stand corrected. Sorry Kuro.

So does that mean a profile rewrite is in order?
It does indeed.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Gadget

toysdream wrote:
The GN Drive, on the other hand, apparently reduces the mobile suit's effective mass. This is physically impossible with modern technology, and it presumably makes the mobile suit a lot more agile as well, just like the lower gravity of Mars or the moon. The "operating weight" specs listed for the Turn A, Turn X, and SUMO suggest that the same is true of them as well.

-- Mark
Someone must be fan of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda. This was mention on the starship Andromeda Ascendant.

Most of the power is used to power the GFG(Gravity Field Gnerator), which reduces the effective mass to just under a kilogram. A smaller chunk of power is used to accelerate more hydrogen in a dozen magnetoplasmadynamic drives, which impart a thrust - a thrust of a half million newtons or so."

So can I carry Gundam Exia with my puny arms?
AU_Gundam MK II

Sorry, but umm, toysdreams? Can I ask for all the details you have on the IFBD? I kind of need them for a personal project.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
neolordmaxwell

Mark064 wrote:Borjarnon's are actually refered to as Zaku look alikes (or something like that) by the Red Team. In the clipshow Loran also makes a comment about the Borjarnon specifically "There may be people who find it familiar, and are reminded of the Zaku that appeared in First Gundam." Like the Kapool they are simulair to the original and may even have an incredibly simulair name but are not 100% identical.
The exact translation of that line line was "Many people might find this familiar- It's the Zaku from First Gundam." They are Zakus.

(I know this having worked as the translator on this series.)
sushicake

Ok back to the topic of what an I-Field is what it basically is....

An invisible particle that holds beam particles in, the best example is a beam saber the big glowy beam of death is held together by a tiny I-Field which keeps the beams inside the "sword" shape the I-Field can also be used in the reverse manner it can also keep beam particles out the best example of this is in 0083 with the Dendrobium with a big enough generator a massive I-Field can be created which keeps beams from coming in. But beam sabers are an exception since it is a highly concentrated beam plus it is used close range. The reason it blocks out Beam Rifle fire is because the beam is not concentrated enough, but a blast from a ships beam cannon could have a chance to go through the I-Field since the beam is highly concentrated and massive.

How it works in the Correct Century suits is that the I-Field can be expanded and shrunk another example of this is in 0083 when GP-02 elongates its beam saber. So think of this as a hydrolics system where more I-Field is pumped into joints to make it move.
you know what makes special sauce so special?
Lans

Wait a sec, I thought it was Minovsky Particle that hold beam particles in the beam saber? I know I-field also sourced from MP but in case of beam saber, is that also the work of I-Field?
mcred23

lans* wrote:Wait a sec, I thought it was Minovsky Particle that hold beam particles in the beam saber? I know I-field also sourced from MP but in case of beam saber, is that also the work of I-Field?
Those particules in the beam saber are Minovsky Particles, they're held in by an I-Field that generates when Minovsky Particles are released into air or open space. If you want to check more, look at Gundam Official's glossary for Weapons and Technology, as it should help.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
neolordmaxwell

An interesitng point to note is that minovsky particles and I-fields have always been known to carry a positive or negative electrical/Ionic charge, and that most Gundams since first have used some sort of magnetic coating int he joints.

I'm wondering if the I-field drive system is in charge of manipulating the joints magnetically, rather than hydraulicly as is the case with a standard drive system. Just a wild fan theory based on basic atomic physics.

The weight reduction could be a result of the magnetically charged gundam repelling the earth's magnetic feild, as the ton is a measurement of weight, not mass- weight being a measurement of the Earth's gravimetric effect on matter. (The amount of mass an object has cannot change by any known process, as one of the basic laws of physics)
Lans

mcred23 wrote:Those particules in the beam saber are Minovsky Particles, they're held in by an I-Field that generates when Minovsky Particles are released into air or open space. If you want to check more, look at Gundam Official's glossary for Weapons and Technology, as it should help.
Although it doesn't state clearly about I-Field also operate in beam saber but I found this:
Minovsky particles have some other unique characteristics as well. When scattered, they align themselves into a three-dimensional cubic lattice. Due to the repulsive and electrostatic forces between the Minovsky particles, this lattice functions as a kind of a force field, which is referred to as an I-field
I assume this is what you mean. Since "beam saber" only offer this much of explanation:
A mobile suit melee weapon first employed by the RX-78 Gundam. The hilt of the beam saber houses an energy capacitor (E-CAP) like that of a beam rifle, whose stored Minovsky particles are released to form a lethal energy blade.
It confused me at the start but eventually it helps, thanks Red.
Petorius

Re:

DAG101 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:12 pm
Recon 5 wrote:...Borjanon, not a Zaku.
They are (If UC is the dark history) the same thing, if not, they are, story-wise, the same.
I would like to suggest that they are not Zakus. First off, they seem to be powerful enough to compete with the Kapool. We also see the Borjarnon hover over water, something we know the Zaku to be unable to do. The Zaku I looking one seemed to be as powerful as the Zaku II looking ones, and finally, the cockpit hatch of the Zaku II (I don't remember off hand about the Zaku I, sorry) is on the left side of the chest with the panel lifting up. The Borjarnon's, if I remember correctly the center lifted up and a center cockpit hatch lifted downwards. I think that probably the Borjarnon is a Hobby Hizack made to look like Zaku II's and a Zaku I by a collector later in UC. If I remember the cockpit was also more rounded then the OYW Zaku's and also the side and front monitors were connected. (If I'm making this about the cockpit up in my head sorry and please let me know, it's been a bit since Turn A.)
Last edited by Chris on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: DO NOT RESURRECT A 13 YEAR OLD TOPIC