beam sniper, just how practical it is?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Recon 5

A fact that doesn't seem to be mentioned much is that the beams used are particle beams, with heavy metal particles. That, and the fact that most beams are shown to move faster than solid rounds even in animation means that we're talking some serious energy transference.

A purely personal estimation, although there may be evidence to back it up: you'd probably need two or three whole drums (at least) of 120mm cannon ammo to equal the destructive power of a single beam.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Thundermuffin

Something that I don't think has been brought up yet is that Dynames does have a counter-sniping measure- the GN armor-cloak.

It is specifically equipped with that so even if they know where he is, Dynames is still a tough nut to crack.
young_oldtype

Ever noticed the cloak also provides the Dynames extra camouflage?
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN:
Praxis
abrahamsen0

One thing that bothered me about the Dynames was it's ranges it was firing from. Out of most of the scenes where the Dynames is sniping it seems he's really not that far away from he's targets. If you compare a real life sniper to the Dynames , which I probably shouldn't, the Dynames should be miles away from his targets. Some one mentioned earlier why doesn't the Dynames use a regular beam rifle because it can do the same thing at those ranges. But that's not what I'm pointing out ........................................................................... If the Dynames is really a sniper Gundam than I think he should've been firing his specialized sniper rifle from longer distances. When in close enough he should have just fired useing his beam guns which are faster to aim & more maneuverable. That one thing always bothered me. Am I wrong about the sniper ranges, what do you guys think :?:
Sleepneeded127

The beam sniper rifle seems better when dealing with the max ranges that the Dynames is for.
the main problem is that Dynames is classified as a sniper when it should be a long rang artillery unit
Meteoid

^Dude, your avatar is way to big, (Limit is 80x80 pixels)
young_oldtype wrote:Ever noticed the cloak also provides the Dynames extra camouflage?
Does it? How?
Den

Does it? How?
maybe because it is colored dark green, which is frequently used in the military as a camouflage uniform and tanks. but it is not really relevant to where the dynames is operating because most of the time shown in the series, it was fighting urban areas or desert areas in which having a color of camouflage green would make you stand out like a sore thumb :D
Duraham

well, my intepretation of the dynames would be that it goes into hiding before the battle, then fire the opening shots and just pretty much tries to hold its position while fending off enemies. not so much as a sniper, but more of as a guard
Recon 5

Sleepneeded127 wrote:The beam sniper rifle seems better when dealing with the max ranges that the Dynames is for.
the main problem is that Dynames is classified as a sniper when it should be a long rang artillery unit
Not really. Artillery units by definition have indirect fire weapons or weapons with curved trajectories. Dynames is a long range direct- fire unit, i.e. a sniper.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Renegade334

Last time I checked, sharpshooters weren't the same thing as heavy gunners...they have completely different roles.

The former is to deliver precision shots at long distance, while the other is to deal extensive damage using heavy firepower - in 00's case, the Virtue answers that definition point by point.

And, yes, I know that current-day artillery is slowly evolving towards surgical strikes with the use of high-precision guidance systems. Nevertheless, I don't think that the equivalent of a sharpshooter does really exist in the military vehicle pool without more or less falling into the category of artillery - as, as stated above, they'll one way or another, have to rely on curved-trajectory projectiles.
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
Sleepneeded127

Recon 5 wrote:
Sleepneeded127 wrote:The beam sniper rifle seems better when dealing with the max ranges that the Dynames is for.
Not really. Artillery units by definition have indirect fire weapons or weapons with curved trajectories. Dynames is a long range direct- fire unit, i.e. a sniper.
Currently artillery weapons are being developed to be direct fire weapons able to hit specific individual targets. As for the curved trajectory that is the only way to reach such ranges with modern weapons. Even Tanks Such as the M1A2 use curved trajectories to hit targets at longer ranges

My point being that Dynames is not really a sniper by the modern definition but a long range gunner.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

no it's not dude, it's a precision long range attack unit, I.E. sniper, a gunner type uses heavy firepower by definition.