Structure Names and Weapon Derivations

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
X666S Legend

Structure Names and Weapon Derivations

Well I don't know whether this topic had already existed (even when I tried to use search it says not found) anyway I had a question about the weapons and the structures it is about their names, have they got their names from other languages and from the history? like for example in Forbidden there is a feature of it that bends the energy beams away from the mobile suit and it is called Geschmeidig Panzer now in which language does this word derived from?. Let me take another example now there is also a Eurasian military base in space which is called Artemis is this word was taken from the History ?
Rey Za Burrel's Pokemon Team

Turtwig
Aipom
Corphish
Raichu
auriga

I can vaguely recall a thread discussing name origins in Gundam...
Geschmeidig Panzer now in which language does this word came from?
German. In fact, quite a lot of stuff from the Alliance is named in German. However, there exist some names that have been taken from other sources such as Norse Mythology.
Let me take another example now there is also a Eurasian military base in space which is called Artemis is this word was taken from the History ?
That would be from Greek Mythology.

Regarding your question on historical references, I can't remember some from the Cosmic Era... Most names used in the CE either came from various myths or simply from different languages.
yukikaze

Re: Structure Names and Weapon Derivations

German. lots of German.
Still waiting on that MG V2 Bandai...
Gadget

And Indian. Agni in the Luncher packs is the name of the Indian God of fire. And Indian's nuclear tip missile.
Arsarcana

This is a really vague question since pretty much every Gundam show has names taken from other languages. The almighty Dendrobium Orchis/Stamen for example, flower power mecha style. CE uses lots of German but there's Japanese in the Orb units, a bit of Indian stuff, Latin, French and I'm probably forgetting a lot. 00 has tons: The Meister codenames are a mix of Greek, Japanese, Spanish and German, the Gundam names are Greek with an angelic theme, the side-story mecha are from a bunch of different languages with a tarot-theme, the upcoming Throne units keep the CB angelic theme with a dash of German, the HRL has lots of Chinese-derived names, the Anf is Arabic and so on. There's no single origin for all the names in Gundam.
X666S Legend

Well what about the words written on the freedom&justice's foreheads are they also German language besides what does it mean??
Rey Za Burrel's Pokemon Team

Turtwig
Aipom
Corphish
Raichu
Black Knight

X666S Legend wrote:Well what about the words written on the freedom&justice's foreheads are they also German language besides what does it mean??
Those were Italian, and were simply numbers, roughly from 1 to 10, as I recall, as they appeared on all of Seed's Gundams, not just Freedom and Justice; they were simply most noticeable on those two units.
Indicible

"Geschmeidig Panzer" means supple or bending armor. Accurate considering its function is to bend beams.

If you want German translations, fire away, I've already done that for Gunnm Last Order (interesting manga, by the way...).
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame.
teslashark

TieRen: iron man(better use this translation)
Tieren Taozi:peachy Iron man (what the ---- were they thinking when they used this stupid name! why can't they just use some proper names like stalin(for iron in russian))
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Black Knight

teslashark wrote:TieRen: iron man(better use this translation)
Tieren Taozi:peachy Iron man (what the ---- were they thinking when they used this stupid name! why can't they just use some proper names like stalin(for iron in russian))
Possibly someone was considering that the first Taozi was going to be piloted by a young woman, which would go a long way to explaining the "Peach" name....if not why Soma allowed whoever named it that to live.
ShadowCell

And the last guy who used the name "Stalin" has sort of a bad reputation.
wing zero alpha

On the contrary, I think the name Stalin would perfectly fit such mobile suits: they're overexaggerated enough for the title. But seriously, the HRL is run by the Chinese than the Russians, so having Russian named mobile suits wouldn't make too much sense.
Gelmax

teslashark wrote:TieRen: iron man(better use this translation)
Given that the Tieren Taozi is a nice, menacing shade of pink, I would say that the name is pretty appropriate.

Gundam Wing's mobile suits and structures are named after constellations, but I shouldn't need to tell you that.
wing zero alpha

Gelmax wrote:Given that the Tieren Taozi is a nice, menacing shade of pink, I would say that the name is pretty appropriate.
On the other hand, the last ace that painted his mobile suits pink earned quite a reputation for himself. Something about sinking five battleships in some random space battle.
Black Knight

wing zero alpha wrote:On the contrary, I think the name Stalin would perfectly fit such mobile suits: they're overexaggerated enough for the title. But seriously, the HRL is run by the Chinese than the Russians, so having Russian named mobile suits wouldn't make too much sense.
It would be particularly odd to have Russian-named mobile suits, since according to the maps, the HRL only has control of those parts of Russia in Asia (east of the Ural mountains, roughly), while the AEU has all of European Russia (west of the Urals), including all the places in Russia that viewers are likely to know (with the exception of Vladivostok, which is doubtless more familiar to the Japanese than to people in Europe or the Americas). I suspect Smirnov is identified with the HRL more due to the lingering Russian connection with communism than any implied Russian subculture in the HRL.

The Chinese of 300 years from now no doubt still view themselves as the center of the world, and would not see the point of naming something that is supposed to represent their nation in a non-Chinese language.
Nightwing03

Arsarcana wrote:CE uses lots of German but there's Japanese in the Orb units, a bit of Indian stuff, Latin, French and I'm probably forgetting a lot.
IIRC Akatsuki means "Dawn" and Murasame means "Village Rain/Autumn Rain"

I can understand why they use "Dawn" for the Akatsuki but Village Rain/Autumn Rain have probably nothing to do with a transformable mobile suit. :?
♣♦♠♥
Gadget

This may help. It's from wiki

The swords of Masamune are often contrasted with those of Muramasa, another Japanese swordsmith. Muramasa has alternatively been described (incorrectly) as a full contemporary of Masamune, or as Masamune's student. Since Muramasa dated his work, it is known he worked right around 1500 AD, and as such he lived too late to have met Masamune. In legend and fantasy, Muramasa's blades are described as bloodthirsty or evil while Masamune's are considered the mark of an internally peaceful and calm warrior.

It could also refer to the lead class of Destroyers in the Japanese navy in the real world.
wing zero alpha

Any idea what Ootsukigata means?
Nightwing03

Gadget wrote:This may help. It's from wiki

The swords of Masamune are often contrasted with those of Muramasa, another Japanese swordsmith. Muramasa has alternatively been described (incorrectly) as a full contemporary of Masamune, or as Masamune's student. Since Muramasa dated his work, it is known he worked right around 1500 AD, and as such he lived too late to have met Masamune. In legend and fantasy, Muramasa's blades are described as bloodthirsty or evil while Masamune's are considered the mark of an internally peaceful and calm warrior.
But arent Masamune+Muramasa completely different words to Murasame?
♣♦♠♥
Gone Astray

Nightwing03 wrote:
Gadget wrote:This may help. It's from wiki

But arent Masamune+Muramasa completely different words to Murasame?
Murasame is apparently a rain-summoning katana from a pre-Meiji Restoration epic novel, as well as the ghost of a girl who died of grief in a Noh play. There was also, as was mentioned, a Murasame-class destroyer and a Shiratsuyu-class destroyer named Murasame.

I think the meaning of "autumn shower" might be most appropriate, though, since they're flight-capable suits that operate in teams and "shower" their beam shots groundward.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"