Zaku II Tubing

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Kratos

Zaku II Tubing

Recently, I was looking over a model of the Zaku II that I have, and it got me thinking: what exactly is the purpose for its chin, waste, and leg tubing? Wouldn't it represent a massive tactical disadvantage if they were used for coolant/power by providing an exposed target for an enemy unit to attack? If they're non-vital, then what's the point? Has their purpose ever been mentioned anywhere?
ORegan

They're cooling tubes I think. As to why they are on the outside, is maybe that it'd result in a bulkier MS using armor shaped around them etc.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Jynx

I think officially they're used to transfer electricity around the suit...

but that seems kind of stupid, since the original Zaku I didn't need the tubes (and virtually everyone suit but the Gouf gets along fine without them)

I think it was because the Zaku II was given a more powerful generator and thus needed more surface area for radiating heat, then later the technology was refined and later MS didn't have to rely on exposed coolant cables.
Chavelo

This is straight from Mark Simmon's; Gundam Unofficial, I've read it many times over for both fun and informative purposes.
The classic MS-06 Zaku II. In the author's (Mark's) opinion, its trademark power cables are most likely used to transfer thermal energy for propulsion, electrical generation, and cooling purposes. This theory is, however, at odds with the official explanation (10).

(10) The official explanation for the Zaku II's cables is that they transmit hydraulic power to actuators in the mobile suit's joints. This always struck me as absurd, for why would the Zaku need to transmit hydraulic power from its belly to its backback, or from its muzzle to the back of its head? Likewise, early mobile suits like the Zaku II and the Gundam are usually said to use traditional chemical rocket engines, but this seems to defeat the purpose of having a thermonuclear reactor in the first place.
Even if it is hydraulic fluid, why expose it on the outside? Mark's explanation makes most sense.
Leader

Chavelo wrote:This is straight from Mark Simmon's; Gundam Unofficial, I've read it many times over for both fun and informative purposes.
The classic MS-06 Zaku II. In the author's (Mark's) opinion, its trademark power cables are most likely used to transfer thermal energy for propulsion, electrical generation, and cooling purposes. This theory is, however, at odds with the official explanation (10).

(10) The official explanation for the Zaku II's cables is that they transmit hydraulic power to actuators in the mobile suit's joints. This always struck me as absurd, for why would the Zaku need to transmit hydraulic power from its belly to its backback, or from its muzzle to the back of its head? Likewise, early mobile suits like the Zaku II and the Gundam are usually said to use traditional chemical rocket engines, but this seems to defeat the purpose of having a thermonuclear reactor in the first place.
Even if it is hydraulic fluid, why expose it on the outside? Mark's explanation makes most sense.
Also, didn't one of the Zaku IIs in the 8th ms team have a severed leg cable? If the cables are for hydraulics then how did the leg still function? It seems to me that this retcons the original idea and gives Mark's theory even more ground.

edit: It was Dell's suit, and it was a severed waist cable, not leg.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

Personally the whole setup is a tactial disadvantage, though from what I've heard they are for power, seeing as with said unit (Dells) there would have been some serious spray if it carried propellant or coolant.
Gadget

I think there are some tubes in the Zeta C+, Mk II and the Nu. There are tubes that are behind the kness joints. And on the backpack of the Mk II, there are cables to the charging docks for the beam sabers.

We may not know what is in those tubes. But I rerally don't think is hydraulic fluids. Just because current earthmovers have expose tubes, I don't think what applies to Kobelco will appiles to mobile suits.
Draco Starcloud

The translated Zaku II lineart scans I've seen say those tubes on the Zaku II are some kind of power transfer cables. (Library of Londenion calls them power suppliers and RancorClaw calls them power pipes.)

The reason you don't see them on the Gelgoog at least, I believe, is that they're armored over.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Gelgoog Jager

IIRC in Zeta, after Jerid losses against Kamille in Jaburo, one of the tubes of the Marasai is severed and as Jerid gets away from his MS, the cable is seen throwing away some sort of gas.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

the tubes probably contain a variety of wires and cables, kinda of like the lines that run under cities, which contain phone, electrial, etc line.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Recon 5

Yeah. That occurred to me too. I mean, if you look at size comparisons, those things are huge. I mean, with a diameter at least half the height of a man you can really fit a lot of stuff in there.

However, I lean more towards the tubes housing redundant backups of whatever wires and cables already run inside the joints. That would explain why mobile suits are often shown moving after they are cut.

Why put backups in the most vulnerable position? I don't know. Lack of internal space, I suppose.
razgriz

was there any sort of immediate ill effect on that zaku that amuro "de-tubed" in the very very first episode of gundam?
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Jynx

razgriz wrote:was there any sort of immediate ill effect on that zaku that amuro "de-tubed" in the very very first episode of gundam?
It couldn't smell anything.
mcred23

razgriz wrote:was there any sort of immediate ill effect on that zaku that amuro "de-tubed" in the very very first episode of gundam?
Not really. It was still moving and flying more or less like normal before Amuro killed it.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

re:

keeping in mind it's been several years since I have seen above episode. the gundam is being piloted by a noob, perhapse the cables being cut slowed down energy transfer enough for Amuro to land his killing blow on it. in that case it would make sense if they carreid extra energy to parts.

But honestly speaking the tubes would probably be used to carry extra of coolaint, energy, or what not. remember also that they may not all bve serving the same purpose, the ones on the torso of the Zaku 2 might be carriyng extra energy from the generator to the back to ..... I don't know charge up the darn heat hawk. :P
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.