The Offical Gundam 00 Mecha Thread Mk III

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Ascension

Well, I've seen ep. 4 now, and it does clear up a few things. First off, the Dynames's "butt thrusters" are definitely 100% confirmed to be GN-based. I remember there was some talk early on that they might be conventional thrusters, but now we know for sure they aren't. They also seem to give the Dynames GN particle output almost on the level of the Virtue. Perhaps Lockon was spreading more particles precisely because the Virtue wasn't with them.

Also, I'm definitely not going to dismiss the effect we saw on the GN blade as a flash of reflected light. I'd say we have visual confirmation of its GN particle enhancement, even if we still don't understand its precise nature.

I was very surprised to see that the Exia's pod was that far underwater. They conveniently neglected to show us how Setsuna boarded and donned his pilot suit without flooding the Gundam's cockpit. Also, it seems that GN particle propulsion functions underwater. That may put it a step ahead of the generally hydrophobic minovsky particle in terms of versatility.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Recon 5

CasvalRemDeikun wrote:
Recon 5 wrote:The gunblade is purely a solid blade, but with certain GN Particle- augmented properties. The light was probably a reflection and as for the sound, well, the Gundams tend to make a lot of noise when they even move so are you sure it wasn't an internal sound?
The gundam had not actually moved when the sound was produced, the blade was stationary, then the white flare along the entire edge happened, complete with sound. It is likely, as you said, a GN particle effect. I was just stating the effect was quite interesting, and something was up with the blade. I was a little confused as to how the sonic blades work. But one thing is for sure, the blade isn't just a big hunk of metal being swung around, it has something to it that makes it more effective, be it GN particle based or otherwise.
Well, all other things aside, you'll have to remember that the faux reflection+ 'schingg!" or other metallic sound effect is VERY common in animation nowadays, even if the show's physics don't call for it. At the very least those could have been dramatic effects you observed (similar to the Exia's 'double bladed saber' when it slashed Graham's rifle during their first encounter).
Janx_Dolaris

From the translation i got, Graham's flag's frame is reinforced by Anti-Beam Coating. I've been wondering why they havent given Gundams that in previous shows for ages (sure money, but if they want to build a super suit that goes all out in every other way, why gimp out on that?). Though that could just be a bad translation.
Homeless

"Anti-Beam Coating" can be heard very audibly in english.

As for the GN Sword issue, I mentioned it earlier but was apparently ignored. :( At any rate, the blade edge does not begin shimmering or emit a sound until after Exia has landed with the blade extended and points it forward. At which point the edge lights up to a whirring sound, and Exia then launches forward to attack.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
auriga

I've been wondering why they havent given Gundams that in previous shows for ages (sure money, but if they want to build a super suit that goes all out in every other way, why gimp out on that?).
Hey, Gundanium Alloy has a degree of AB protection. It certainly isn't a new thing in Gundam.
As for the GN Sword issue, I mentioned it earlier but was apparently ignored. At any rate, the blade edge does not begin shimmering or emit a sound until after Exia has landed with the blade extended and points it forward. At which point the edge lights up to a whirring sound, and Exia then launches forward to attack.
Poor Homeless... But seriously, is this the first time we've observed such a phenomena? I haven't seen the episode (earliest I can do so would be tomorrow, I'm swamped today), so I can't really comment on the issue.
Homeless

It is the first time I can recall the blade doing that, and it does seem completely intentional rather than just for dramatic effect. However, the shimmering seems to go away once it actually starts stabbing realdos. its really weird.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Ryujin

Ascension wrote:I was very surprised to see that the Exia's pod was that far underwater. They conveniently neglected to show us how Setsuna boarded and donned his pilot suit without flooding the Gundam's cockpit.
I would assume some sort of airlock, which would also be useful in a space environment. If the Exia's pod is similar to those on the island housing the Kyrios and the Dynames, then it probably has automated repair facilities & living quarters as well.
I might note, this does not give the flag a "maximum thruster acceleration" stat of 12G, or even a particularly high one necessarily, since it's an aerodynamic flyer in its transformed mode.
Indeed. The g's from straight-line acceleration achieved via engine thrust is completely different (and much lower in general) from that experienced during tight turns & other acrobatic maneuvers. Space shuttle luanches and carrier catapult take-offs average at about 4 -5 g's, for example.
Ascension

I thought there was an airlock at first, too, but then when the top hatch of the pod opens in order for the Exia to launch we don't see the compartment flooding, it's as if it had been filled with water the whole time.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Ryujin

Ascension wrote:I thought there was an airlock at first, too, but then when the top hatch of the pod opens in order for the Exia to launch we don't see the compartment flooding, it's as if it had been filled with water the whole time.
I'd speculate that the Exia compartment was flooded after Setsuna boarded, in order to equalize the water pressure inside & out so as to lessen the load on the compartment door motors as they open. At that depth, there'd literally be tons of water pressing down on the pod. Also, I'd assume that Setsuna wants to avoid creating a mysterious, giant air bubble popping on the surface & indicating that there's something odd down there. Given the pod's location next to an urban center, it's highly probable too (granted, a teenager diving into the water & not surfacing at all is already cause for alarm).
razgriz

:lol: like anyone would be paying attention to a lone teenager diving off a dock during a time like this

is it just me or is anyone else aching to see one of the gundam units actually take a beating i mean beyond just a surprise lucky shot from graham's custom american flag :twisted:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Melchior

Also, I'd assume that Setsuna wants to avoid creating a mysterious, giant air bubble popping on the surface & indicating that there's something odd down there.
Well I'd think the MS launching out of Tokyo harbour would be more alarming than any air bubble. :wink:
azrael

Homeless wrote:It is the first time I can recall the blade doing that, and it does seem completely intentional rather than just for dramatic effect. However, the shimmering seems to go away once it actually starts stabbing realdos.
The effect is probably visible when the sword is viewed close-up and held stationary. It is probably not visible when Exia is swinging that thing around.
Janx_Dolaris

Well even the Gundam pilots are getting bored of being so powerful, lockon doesnt seem to even care whats going on in episode 4, he just waits till enemies are in range to use his rifle while having a very very bored expression on his face. The other guys are also remarking "this is too easy" as if they too are rather disapointed.

I think with Graham's custom flag, and whatever the HRL are putting together, the Gundams are going to have a tough fight coming up shortly.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

I'm kinda curious, so far we've seen a total of 1....2....3.. seven pods, four on the ship and the three on Earth, so the question I raise is.... Why would they build those pods just to discard them later on? to me it suggests that there might be more Gundams or a mass-produced unit on the way.
Dygenguard

to me it suggests that there might be more Gundams or a mass-produced unit on the way.
Once the Gundam is mass-produced...
Well even the Gundam pilots are getting bored of being so powerful, lockon doesnt seem to even care whats going on in episode 4, he just waits till enemies are in range to use his rifle while having a very very bored expression on his face. The other guys are also remarking "this is too easy" as if they too are rather disapointed.
That'll be the case until the girl ace or Patrick catch up to them and whip their butts. I predict that'll be the case for the mid-series upgrade.
Ougi: Guren Maengun!!!
Homeless

SNT1

"12G's at top speed" sounds wrong already.

I believe the "Still experience 12G at maximum turning acceleration"
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Homeless

I won't even pretend I understand how the concept of G-Forces works, but doesn't the line imply the acceleration to top speed generates 12Gs on Graham, rather than "the top speed is 12Gs!"?
SNT1

If one is at top speed, it won't be accelerating anymore. I don't see anything implying "acceleration to top speed" in the sub.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Homeless

One has to accelerate to reach top speed, don't they? Like I said, I'm clueless. XD

I do agree the Chinese version's sounded the best.