Heavyarms

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Den

Heavyarms

i happend to be rewatching the gundam wing series and i have been wondering in the endless waltz, if the heavyarms custom ran out of ammo, does it have a weapon like the heavyarms' switch blade? or if it ran out of mmo, it's just a sitting duck in the midst of the enemy? hehe
auriga

All H-Arms Custom has are its projectile weapons. No army knife. So if it runs dry on ammo, it pretty much loses all offensive capability unless Trowa starts punching his enemies. :lol:

Though I wouldn't say that it's a sitting duck if that happens. It still has Gundanium, so I'd say it can buy enough time to escape.
Gadget

An old W-Gundam joke.

There is still the self destruction method.
Den

hahahaha you're both right about those hahaha
Volnixshin

The thing I've always wondered about Trowa in the last battle in EW is why he didn't just take a downed Serpents Gatlinggun, seeing as how they were the same thing. Or even use them to ram into suits, they look like they could be used as worthy clubbing and ramming weapons.
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
midnightcitysky

heck, trowa uses the guns as clubs in endless duel. I guess the whole not picking up an enemies gun was done for dramatic effect, as trowa being a formally trained ex-guerilla soldier, should be used to picking up his enemies weapons. in fact I think trowa is the only gundam pilot who was seemed to fit an infantry role, with heero appearing to be more demolitions than anything.
My posts say something about me...I LIKE WRITING ESSAYS...
ZeonfromHell

They could have just given him a beam saber. I mean even if today's infantrymen don't duke it out with spears and swords, they at least are given knives and/or bayonets for when they have to fight close-in or when they're out of ammo. Yes, it's not designed to fight melee, but something is better than nothing.
Last edited by ZeonfromHell on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
Janx_Dolaris

Ya, its not like a beamsaber or dagger would have much weight cost.
ShadowCell

In redesigning Wing's Gundams, Katoki pretty much stripped them of all but their most iconic and signature weapons. Heavyarms didn't use its little shiv that often, so I guess it got cut out.
abrahamsen0

ZeonfromHell wrote:They could have just given him a beam saber. I mean even i today's infantrymen don't duke it out with spears and swrods, they at least are given knives and/or bayonets for when they have to fight close-in or when they're out of ammo. Yes, it's not designed to fight melee, but something is better than nothing.
I argued that same thing in a couple other post. But it seemed like everyone came to the conclusion that it's a long range support MS and doesn't deserve one. Man I must of argued that on three other topics. But I still say as agile and mobile the Heavyarms Custom is, a beam sabre or knife would make it even more lethal in the hands of Trowa. Just because an MS is a support or long range (BFG's) MS doesn't mean it's not supposed to use a beam sabre.
ShadowCell

Oh Lord, not that again. We've gone through that battle God knows how many times already.
auriga

The thing I've always wondered about Trowa in the last battle in EW is why he didn't just take a downed Serpents Gatlinggun, seeing as how they were the same thing. Or even use them to ram into suits, they look like they could be used as worthy clubbing and ramming weapons.
The other thing about that battle was that they were desperately trying to not kill their opponents. Seriously, if Trowa went all out the battle wouldn't have lasted that long, nor would it have ended in the Preventers' defeat (they did lose, until Wufei and especially Heero showed up).

That's pretty much why the Heavyarms has no need for a melee weapon; it's a bombardier. It's meant to attract enemies and when it does, it unleashes bullet after bullet and missile after missile to eradicate them all. It's not meant for pin-point accuracy like the Buster or the Dynames or whatever sniper MS you have; it's just meant to cause carnage. And given that the Gundams were used for guerrilla attacks, the enemy won't be able to act fast enough to send in reinforcements by the time the H-arms depletes its ammo.
supperrfreek

well a friend of mine says, your sidearm is for making your way back to your car, to get more ammunition. so basically trowa would use his ammunition sparingly and when he needs melee done he has someone else do it.
razgriz

ha sparingly doesnt seem to be in trowas vocab. he seems to prefer to use up all of his ammo provided it means that he has wasted everyone around him. he did make sure to tally the remaining serpents so that he could know how many suits each gundam needed to take out to ensure victory.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
auriga

... Especially since his main strategy is bombarding possible exit points... :P

But yeah, he isn't stupid.
Den

yah but i find it really weird that his gundam is slightly powered down because of the lack of a melee weapon... though many would argue because he got n additional gatling gun and some added missiles, but a small light weight switch blade like the old heavyarms would not hurt a bit though hehehe
midnightcitysky

the point made about trowa's fighting style is a valid explanation... his suits made for bombardment and shooting the crap out of stuff, I mean the katoki version has a grand total of 8 gatling guns and 88 missiles according to the 1/144th model kit manual. I'm pretty sure that trowa's happy with that. I mean I personally love the knife. I always use to defend it's purpose against my friends who said it was useless back in the day, but for search and destroy missions executed with the intention of getting in, blowing everyone to hell, and then escaping....the knife seems kinda pointless and worse, somewhat superflous.

these guys are guerilleros, they take what is needed to get the job done. and for the H-arms purpose the knife IS kinda useless, so I can see why it'd be left out. oh and the h-arms custom has more than twice the fire power in terms of ranged weaponry 4 gatling guns and 30 missile along with 4 vulcans versus 8 gatling guns and 80 to 88 (1/100 kit states 80 missiles which is something I wonder about) so IMO it's not really powered down, it's just that the desing ethic is focusedinterms of going with the suits strengths father than balance. similar to the weissritter having most of it's armor removed in order to make it more manueverable in the SRW games.

as an aside, personally tho I'd want the knife...just in case if someone comes at me with a beams saber. I don't wanna have to block with my gun as a gun with no barrel might not work quite right or worse block with my arm. a knife or better yet a beam jitte on the gatling gun would be a good idea in my eyes.
My posts say something about me...I LIKE WRITING ESSAYS...
Dark Duel

midnightcitysky wrote:1/100 kit states 80 missiles which is something I wonder about
Going by the stats on MAHQ, it has 88:
4 9-tube leg-mounted launchers, 2 22-tube shoulder-mounted launcher systems, and 2 2-tube launchers in the hip armor: (4x9=36)+(2x22=44)+(2x2=4)=88
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
VentZX

Volnixshin wrote:The thing I've always wondered about Trowa in the last battle in EW is why he didn't just take a downed Serpents Gatlinggun, seeing as how they were the same thing. Or even use them to ram into suits, they look like they could be used as worthy clubbing and ramming weapons.
I think it was mentioned in passing, but recall that Trowa was firing blanks to avoid casualties. The Serpent's weren't. Using a Serpents guns would have caused casualties. Pretty simple really.

Why didn't he use them as clubs? Who knows, but it probably wasn't practical. Besides, Wu Fei and Heero more or less conveniently showed up just as he ran out of ammo. There wasn't much need to in that situation, so I think it has less to do with the actual mecha than anything else. Heck, if you remember, the Heavy Arms DID use a beam saber in the series. It all had to do with the situation.
Wingnut

VentZX wrote:
Volnixshin wrote:The thing I've always wondered about Trowa in the last battle in EW is why he didn't just take a downed Serpents Gatlinggun, seeing as how they were the same thing. Or even use them to ram into suits, they look like they could be used as worthy clubbing and ramming weapons.
I think it was mentioned in passing, but recall that Trowa was firing blanks to avoid casualties. The Serpent's weren't. Using a Serpents guns would have caused casualties. Pretty simple really.
Blanks?! Then how would he have been doing any damage at all to anything?
Why didn't he use them as clubs? Who knows, but it probably wasn't practical. Besides, Wu Fei and Heero more or less conveniently showed up just as he ran out of ammo. There wasn't much need to in that situation, so I think it has less to do with the actual mecha than anything else. Heck, if you remember, the Heavy Arms DID use a beam saber in the series. It all had to do with the situation.
That was a one time modification, in which Trowa wasn't even the pilot. The beam saber was added because it was more of Heero's style to use one, plus Zechs was also likely to use the Tallgeese in close combat as well, and the knife alone was not going to do the job.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.