Mobile Police Patlabor : Ingram

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
slider003

Mobile Police Patlabor : Ingram

Patlabor features Ingram, as many people say, one of the coolest and probably the most realistic mechas in any anime series. Designed by the same guy who worked one Char's Counterattack(Ingram looks similar to Jegan), it has a nice appropriate design for police labor, colored white with police lights on the shoulders.

On being realistc, it has a huge magnum that could well be a military cannon, instead of beam rifles, and uses stunt sticks instead of beam rifles. It can't fly or hover like mobile suits or other mecha shows. It can run fast but it uses battery instead of nuclear power. I just love the realistc details of Igram.

Of course, I also love Gundams, but I can imagine Ingram walking in cities in near future. If Ingram and labors existed, I would have probably joined the labor police division(despite how annoying life could turn out, as shown in the series). Anyway, thank you for reading my personal opinion.
Gadget

Don't forget the shotgun that looks like the Jagdgewehr shotgun that the Kämpfer uses.
MrMarch

I love the Ingram. One of my all time favorite mecha designs. Here's my little homage to it:

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/iconsofme ... tlabor.htm

Classic design.
Recon 5

The only SV2 member I can imagine carrying a riot gun shell with one hand is Ohta... but anyway, NICE website.

What I don't understand, though, is that exposed area in the Ingram's neck, the one with only a pexiglass sheet for protection. It doesn't seem very safe...

I'd also like to see them work out the kinks in HOS and make the Type ZERO their mainstay. THAT would be cool.
quasadra

if its gonna patrol in the street it better have a vehicle mode or it will fight more traffic than crime(that trailer that they use for transport are pretty big as i recalled).
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Oruma

While it'll be nice for the Patlabor to be transformable, it will not be a great idea when you consider structual integrity and so forth; also, having a carrier truck (despite its size) means that (1) it is much easier to deploy and retreive your Patlabor, especially if it is damaged and cannot move under its own power; (2) as it is more of an emergency-use unit (despite its name being "Patrol-Labor") it is wiser to conserve energy and fuel with a serparate transport unit.
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
quasadra

Oruma wrote:While it'll be nice for the Patlabor to be transformable, it will not be a great idea when you consider structual integrity and so forth; also, having a carrier truck (despite its size) means that (1) it is much easier to deploy and retreive your Patlabor, especially if it is damaged and cannot move under its own power; (2) as it is more of an emergency-use unit (despite its name being "Patrol-Labor") it is wiser to conserve energy and fuel with a serparate transport unit.
this is how i see it:
1. how can it be easier to deploy than just drive in, and if it got damaged chances are the trailer cant reach it.

2. if you gonna be stuck in traffic and be late(tokyo's street is quite small after all)all those energy and fuel are not gonna do any good.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Recon 5

They have 'road- runner' labors in the Traffic division. They're large spider- like things that arch over the road. They sure look like they can easily remove offending vehicles.
auriga

I don't know much about Patlabor, but I do know about practicality...
1. how can it be easier to deploy than just drive in, and if it got damaged chances are the trailer cant reach it.
1. It's easier to deploy because when it deploys, it doesn't need to transform or anything. It's battle-ready that way.

2. When a carrier can't reach that location, then there is a huge chance that the transformed mode can't get out of there as well. Also, when it's damaged, can you expect it to transform?
2. if you gonna be stuck in traffic and be late(tokyo's street is quite small after all)all those energy and fuel are not gonna do any good.
"all those energy and fuel" will be that of the carrier, NOT of the Labors'. I'm assuming from Oruma's post that the Labors are only activated once they reach the location they are needed to be in (duh).

-----------------
And then you have structural integrity as Oruma also said. By making something transformable, you're pretty much jamming more parts into a frame. That, and you're going to make the frame adapt to the transformation. While yes, a Labor isn't as big as a Gundam, on the other hand it's also small, so packing in that much components into such a small frame may not be a very good idea. And with more components, your frame will be less stable and reliability will be an issue (more components = chances are it is less reliable).
Hyakushiki

The Ingram wasn't designed to patrol a regular beat like a cop, it's a emergency response vehicle. The regular police stills handles the day to day crimes and investigations, SV2 handles emergencies the police aren't equipped to handle like an out of control construction labor.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
valkyriepilot

Hyakushiki wrote:The Ingram wasn't designed to patrol a regular beat like a cop, it's a emergency response vehicle. The regular police stills handles the day to day crimes and investigations, SV2 handles emergencies the police aren't equipped to handle like an out of control construction labor.
All the more practical reason that an Ingram is better transported to the scene than going there by itself. At least the pilots and the police force can be assured that it's still newly prepped before deployment, hence removing the worry that there might have been wear and tear brought about by all that travel. An inert machine in transport is much less exposed from fatigue than the machine itself travelling whether by conventional means (wheels, treads, etc) or bipedal/multipodal locomotion.
auriga

Exactly. The Ingrams were basically made to counter Labor-related crimes/situations.

Though what's with the name? Puts you under the impression that these robots are being used by the same guys from You're Under Arrest!. :lol:
Recon 5

In real life, the Ingram is one of the more commonly used handguns in police departments. The name makes sense that way.
auriga

I was referring to the name Patlabor which is a condensation of "patrol labor." As mentioned, it is clear that these robots were meant for responding to emergencies and not for patrolling.
Recon 5

With the way the Japanese still use English nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if they were simply trying to come up with a more interesting, police- related title than 'Police Labor'. They could have been trying various combinations and discovered that 'Patrol Labor' condensed into something quite memorable.
MrMarch

Recon 5 wrote:The only SV2 member I can imagine carrying a riot gun shell with one hand is Ohta... but anyway, NICE website.
I just color the line art, I don't draw it. Blame Yutaka Izubuchi :) Thanks for visiting my webstie and I'm glad you like it.
Jynx

Recon 5 wrote:In real life, the Ingram is one of the more commonly used handguns in police departments. The name makes sense that way.
What police departments use the Ingram? Most are equipped with semi-automatic 9mm-45 cal pistols, the Ingram is a small SMG that would be inappropriate for everyday carry. Typically most PD's in the US use MP5's or M16/M4's to fit the role the Ingram was designed for.

As for the argument about using a transportation vehicle, it makes sense to me. Why cause more wear and tear on your labor if you can save money, resources, and time, repairing cheaper transport units that do the leg work. Also, wasn't the Hell Diver labor designed to be deployed via air units? What if you simply had labors transported by heavy lift helicopters in dire emergencies?
Jak Stoller

quasadra wrote:if its gonna patrol in the street it better have a vehicle mode or it will fight more traffic than crime(that trailer that they use for transport are pretty big as i recalled).
The idea of any mecha transforming is laughable. Your talking about taking one of the most realistic mecha anime shows, and combinging it with... Robotech? Transformers? Are you kidding me? Transformation systems take up space, comprimise structural integrity, and make the design alot more expensive and harder to maintain (theres more moving parts).

But I do agree that having to be hauled around everywhere I kinda jive..

Thats why Armored Shrikes from Blue Gender get my vote for most realistic mecha.

--Jak
Recon 5

Oops. My bad about the Ingrams. Police use Glocks...