What does the CE G.U.N.D.A.M. system do?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
jam!

What does the CE G.U.N.D.A.M. system do?

I've always wondered...what does this system do?

We've seen it on the startup screens for some of the most powerful CE MS (nicknamed by Kira and some as Gundams) and have seen that throughout the different incarnations, this acronym can have somewhat different meanings. IIRC though, these meanings usually refer to the type of power supply in use by the particular Gundam units.

Could these systems be special OS which provide the pilot with improved control systems including target acquisition, mobility controls and control systems for the different special weapons in the Gundam's array of weapons?

I ask because in the CE, we see that the Gundams are usually on a COMPLETELY different battle-level to grunt MS especially in terms of battle prowess and often fall victim to their pilots being unable to fully utilise them or the enemy piloting being superb. Surely these pilots have some form of a trump card over their opponents over simply the MS specs.

What do you guys think? And is there an official explanation of the purpose of these systems because I didn't see one at GundamOfficial.
Also, what do you think would be different if a GUNDAM system was installed in a grunt unit...say, a Dagger L?
Maelstromm

I think a good explaination can be found here...And I thought that it has been discussed before that there is no clear consensus on the OS that the grunt units use.
Gahh!!! My kingdom for a signature!!!!
Any takers?
jam!

But that's not an explanation at all.

All it states is that some units use different OS based on the manufacturing plants from which they were developed or dependent on their intended role in combat. That and some systems were developed to allow Naturals to easily pilot MS.

However, why would GUNDAM systems be necessary in CE 73 when MS development had been continued and no doubt been somewhat standardized? There is indeed something unique about these systems since as I stated and as that wiki page details, some of the most powerful MS use this system.
Maelstromm

I think you've to also take into account the skills of the individual pilots in the Gundams that allow them to dispatch the grunts. The OS only helps so much, the skill of the pilot, I think, is more important. The OS mostly indicate the roles and directives of the mobile suit it is installed in, so I think that the OS of the more powerful MS is just an indication of their power plant and combat status...*am I being confusing?*
Any takers?
Haros_Pet_Kat

I think the general concensus about OSes is that the Coordinator variations require more manual input to manipulate specific limbs if needed while the Natural variations have more automated tasks like UC mobile suits.
Chris wrote:Haha...you jackanapes have all been fooled by my ninja editing skills!
DeltasTaii

It makes giant robots move. That's about it.

Roughly the only common characteristic of the "coincidentally" GUNDAM OS is them being a lot more open to changes and reprogramming, thanks to being designed for prototype units.
Dendrobium Stamen

Long story short, the various G.U.N.D.A.M operating systems in the Cosmic Era function basically like Microsoft Windows does on a standard PC (but without the Blue Screen of Death, hopefully).

In the original version, General Unilateral Neurolink Dispersive Autonomic Maneuver Synthesis System, it manages all the hardware elements of the First GAT-X Series machines, which are connected to the central CPU via a data network which emulates the human nervous system, and provides a GUI for the pilot to configure and modify the MS-OS to their own personal preferences. It would seem the OS is also intended to automate most of the more basic functions of the MS, allowing the pilot to focus on the job of fighting.

While it's not specifically stated, I see no reason why the Earth Alliance's series of Dagger mobile suits shouldn't be using a completed version of the GUNDAM Synthesis System OS. Since it seems that actual combat data from the Long Daggers and the Second GAT-X Series were used to provide real-world data (much like data from the RX-78-2's learning computer going into the GM series), there's no reason why the Alliance couldn't simply upload this data into GUNDAM Synthesis System to complete the automation segments and compile the complete OS for use in mass-production machines.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Maelstromm

Hmm, given how complex the mobile suits are, I'm not surprised if they have things worse than the Blue Screen of Death...seriously though, I wasn't aware that the Alliance laid its hands on the Strike's updated OS, because the Daggers seem to be moving just fine as compared to when the Strike first booted up. Or are the nameless grunts that skilled?
Any takers?
Dendrobium Stamen

I wouldn't suggest the Alliance got hold of the actual OS software used in Strike; rather, they used a copy of the same base GUNDAM Synthesis Sytem program, to which combat data from the Long Dagger series and the druggies was added in order to fill in the gaps and create "learning computer"-style macros to automate the machine and allow more normal, fluid operation for a Natural.
Maelstromm

Hmm, interesting, it would seem to indicate that the Alliance may have parallel developed learning A.I ala Stargazer. Going on that theory, it would make sense as to why they would send Phantom Pain to capture the Stargazer, it would serve to improve their own A.I programs (I highly doubt, though, that their interest in the suit lies in its Voiture Lumiere system).
Any takers?
Dendrobium Stamen

Sorry? I don't see anything in what I've said that indicates the Alliance had any kind of sufficiently-advanced AI. While I've compared the completion of the Strike Dagger's OS to the RX-78-2 "learning computer", the processes involved are rather different.

To complete the GUNDAM Synthesis System OS, the Alliance used the recorded combat computer data of Long Dagger MS in actual combat to create macros allowing the software to automate various processes, so regular Natural pilots wouldn't have to manually control the more mundane functions Coordinators are capable of in addition to actual fighting. In short, there was data transfer from test MS to production MS, but there was no use of AI involved, simply recording data that had been input manually and using it as the basis of an automated action.

Think of it like Metal Gear Solid. The X button causes Snake to crouch, because the developers have programmed this into the game, so that the player doesn't have to manually input the parameters for crouching every time they want to do so. In a Strike Dagger, a Natural pilot presses a button, and that triggers an action pre-programmed into the software; in a GINN, the Coordinator pilot enters all the parameters of the action manually, every time.
Maelstromm

Oh my mistake, I misread your meaning, still I wonder what the Alliance wanted the Stargazer for.
Any takers?
Dendrobium Stamen

Its AI, I'd imagine.

Oddly enough, there's a half-written chapter of my GSD sidestory fic about exactly that...
Maelstromm

Funny, it strikes me as odd that the Alliance wanted its A.I, seeing as they (as far as I can see) weren't developing any sort of weapon, mobile suit or otherwise. I thought that they already had their hands full with the Break The World incident, I wouldn't think that then would be a good time to research new weapons...
Any takers?
Dendrobium Stamen

I'm totally ruining my own fic here, but...

My feeling is that the Alliance's problem wasn't one of weapons development, but one of manpower. After ZAFT made Destroy's rampage through Germany public knowledge across the world, support for the Alliance and in particular the Atlantic Federation would probably have collapsed. As we see from the fight OMNI Enforcer put up, they weren't short of hardware, but I can't imagine them having the people to put all their war machines into the fight.

As such, if they believed that DSSD had an AI system capable of controlling a mobile suit unaided, it'd be an unmissable opportunity; all the Windams that had no pilots would become, essentially, mobile dolls controlled by an onboard copy of the Stargazer AI in place of the regular human-input OS.

And that, I believe, is why Phantom Pain made a move for the Stargazer AI unit.
Maelstromm

That would make for a good story, pity Stargazer was so short, and nothing came of that idea.
Any takers?
quasadra

as far as i know, Stargazer's AI is just begining to learn how to move on its own.(could be just my mistake tough) if so its would take at least several months of development before they can start shooting at something.....
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Maelstromm

10000 hrs, approximately 417 days, or around 1 year, 1 month and 21 days, and that's for just learning how to make its own decisions, not to mention combat, besides, it was never meant for that.
Any takers?
Dendrobium Stamen

We assume here that Phantom Pain were aware of the specifics regarding the Stargazer AI unit. Given the fervor with which they seize the DSSD station, I'd imagine OMNI were under the impression that Stargazer was in essence a fully-functional mobile doll (to borrow a term) and planned to simply bolt on a set of IFF responses and a targeting system, and instant Windam AI!
Maelstromm

I thought they had spies in the DSSD, I doubt the spies could have failed to tell them about the A.I level of the Stargazer.
Any takers?