Are they all Valkyries?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Falconfire

Are they all Valkyries?

I recently got into a argument dealing with Macross fighters. I could have sworn that they all had different names, and that the Valk ONLY refers to the VF-1, but another guy says in Macross 7 they are ALL Valks they never refer to them by their production names at all, only Valks ever.

Now I have never seen them ALL referred to as Valks but Im starting to think he is right which confuses me since then why the hell give them production names at all if they are going to toss them out.

So which is right? Are they all called Valkyries, or only the VF-1 and its variants Valks and no others.
Aegis

All you need to do is look at the mechanics on MAHQ to answer your question. :) They're all variable fighters, but no matter what they say, they are not all Valkyries. The VF-19 is referred to as the Excalibur, the VF-11 is referred to as the Thunderbolt, the VF-22S is referred to as the Sturmvogel II, and others don't even have names other than a number. YF-19 is always referred to as the Alpha, while the YF-21 is always referred to as the Omega even within the series. Now, I can see that these variable fighters do have codenames to which they are referred to as Valkyries, like 'Fire Valkyrie', but those are unofficial names. At the end of the day, only the VF-1 series are true Valkyries.
Last edited by Aegis on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zerosystem

I'm pretty sure only the VF-1 (and its variants) are called Valkyries. In Macross Plus, the Supernova project is held to find a replacement for the aging 'Thunderbolt' variable fighter..

In Macross Zero, the VF-0s are nearly identical to the VF-1s save for the different engine, but they're not referred to as Valks (then again, I can't reall what they were named, I only remember Shin Kudo identifying a fallen VF-0 unit as a 'zero' battroid).
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
the razor blade

they are not all valks, the name is just used as an easy way of id'ing the machines. its like calling an m2 bradly fighting vehicle a tank, its not, but its an easy way of iding a tracked vehicle
If the shoe fits, wear it. If the bullet hole fits, your dead.
Death is only a stepping stone to something weirder.
Can god heat up a microwave burrito so hot that not even he can eat it?
Falconfire

Well they are insistent that in Japan they are all Valks so Im just going to let them be at this point. No use arguing.

They are saying that in Macross 7 Valkyrie is like how in Robotech they are all Veritech fighters, which to me sounds stupid considering that Macross 7 HAS VF-1 fighters in its fleet, but I couldnt stomach more than 10 episodes of the show so I dont know.
Kuruni

No.

At first I believe that your "Valk" is actually "wa-ri" from wa-ri-e-bu-ru, katakana for "Variable" and you mistaken it as "ba-ru-ki" from ba-ru-ki-rii katakana for valkyrie.

But when I check, Japaneese resource rarely use the term variable fighter/machine and refer to them with kanji instead. Now i believe it's problem with your sub...
My girlfriend was a loli.
Koshernova

Macross fans seem to call them all Valkyries to have a generic catch-all term that rolls off the tongue better than "Variable Fighter". But they know they're not actually all called Valkyries. It's just an easy shorthand from what I've seen.
Chris
Administrator

They are and they aren't. Technically, the name "Valkyrie" only refers to the VF-1 series. But both in our world and in universe, it becomes a catch all name for variable fighters because the VF-1 series is so famous. It's like when corporate brands get applied to a process, like "xeroxing" a document or "googling" something. So it's correct that only the VF-1 series is the Valkyrie, but it's also correct to generically refer to all of Earth's variable fighters as "Valkyries."
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his