How do they come up with MS names?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
mcred23

wza wrote:Some? You mean there were UC names that made sense in some way?
Yes, not everything from UC is gibberish. The GM, the Nemo, the Rick Dias, the various things that use German names, among others aren't gibberish, as they all (Or in the case of the GM, is thought to) mean something.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
mr.blonde

rick dias sounds like a latin name.
example: rickardo(mexican name) dias( in spanish for days)
yes, am mexican.
mcred23

First, you need to change your avatar. It needs to be 80 x 80.

And second, the Rick Dias name comes from the MS-09R Rick Dom MS (The 'Rick' part) and Bartholomeu Dias, who found the Cape Of Good Hope. I guess it's Latin sound is just an odd by-product of that.

mr.blonde

the first time i seen the name ricks dias i tought it was because the pilot name.
by the way, why scirroco MS is named the O ?
mcred23

Cause thats what he wanted to name it? That's one MS whose name I don't think has ever been explained...

mr.blonde

and what about the sazabi?
i dont think char named is MS after the zabi family that he hated soo much.
mcred23

AFAIK, Sazabi is just one of those gibberish names. I don't think it's similar to anything in some other language (Although if it is, I'm sure someone will point that out) and the "Zabi" thing may just be an odd coincidence.

CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

could it be something like anti-Zabi or something like that? I know it;s a stretch it would make sense for him to name his suit along thos eline if e was carrying on his fathers work.
mr.blonde

another name is strike noir, i know the strike part but why the "noir"?
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

it means black, and the Strike Noir is black, fairly simple actually, of course it could also denote it's status as a special ops unit.
Last edited by CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoninWanderer

mr.blonde wrote:another name is strike noir, i know the strike part but why the "noir"?
noir=black

edit: Darn it, too slow
Top 5 Gundam TV Shows: 1) Turn A, 2) MSG, 3) Zeta, 4) Victory, 5) SEED
mr.blonde

most of zeon mobile suits have odd names a few examples are: gelgogg, z.gok.e, acguy, gouf, zeong, dom, hygogg, etc
the point is, were did tomino get all those random names?
wing zero alpha

mcred23 wrote:Yes, not everything from UC is gibberish. The GM, the Nemo, the Rick Dias, the various things that use German names, among others aren't gibberish, as they all (Or in the case of the GM, is thought to) mean something.
So we have mobile suits named after an Earth explorer (despite the fact it's not meant for exploring) and I assume the captain of the Nautilus. On the other hand, the GM makes sense and you have a point with the German names; I forgot about those, but there still aren't many of them around (only in two of the OYW OVAs).
mr.blonde wrote:the point is, were did tomino get all those random names?
Who knows? All that one can tell is that he has a fondness for them.
mcred23

wing zero alpha wrote:and I assume the captain of the Nautilus.
Actually, it's Latin for "No one" or "No man" (Which is what the Captain of the Nautilus is named for as well).

Going further with the non-gibberish names, you have the 0083 Gundams all have flower parts for code names, the Ball describing what it is, the Hyaku Shiki merely being named for it's model number, among a number of other non-gibberish names (Which I'm not going to list for assorted reasons). While those gibberish ones probably make up the majority of MS, there are still a good number that are based on some real items or words of phrases.

But there are also a few names from other shows (Zeta is one I remember being mentioned, with a few of it's MS' names getting looked at) that are similar to things from random languages, although whether they were intentional or not (Or work in the original Japanese or not) isn't often clear with many of them, which complicates things to a degree. :|

wing zero alpha

mcred23 wrote:Actually, it's Latin for "No one" or "No man" (Which is what the Captain of the Nautilus is named for as well).
Great, that makes even less sense. :roll:
Going further with the non-gibberish names, you have the 0083 Gundams all have flower parts for code names, the Ball describing what it is, the Hyaku Shiki merely being named for it's model number, among a number of other non-gibberish names (Which I'm not going to list for assorted reasons). While those gibberish ones probably make up the majority of MS, there are still a good number that are based on some real items or words of phrases.
My point before wasn't so much that they were gibberish, but they actually meant something that fit the nature of the machine. Aside from the Hyaku Shiki and the Ball which go perfectly with their title machines (the Hyaku Shiki being named after its model number and the Ball for self-explanitory reasoning), I don't see a major application in naming machines after things like flower parts; that'd be like naming the next generation fighter the "Anemone" or "Clematis", not at all very intimidating or befitting. Same goes for all the AoZ prototypes that mean anything from more flowers to fairy tale monsters.
But there are also a few names from other shows (Zeta is one I remember being mentioned, with a few of it's MS' names getting looked at) that are similar to things from random languages, although whether they were intentional or not (Or work in the original Japanese or not) isn't often clear with many of them, which complicates things to a degree. :|
I just go with the idea that things are named the way they are because it sounds "cool" and leave it at that. One can only get a massive headache if they try to interpret a deeper meaning to names like "Gabthley", "Gaplant", "Geara Doga" or "Den'an Zon".
Mark064

A lot of these names have weird meanings I've read a few of them and some of them are simulair to other words in Japanese. I had to dig through the logs. So here we go.

The O = when an ojisan (middle aged dude) puts on a coat, his belly sticks out. So they took the "oji" part and reversed it into "ji o".

Zeong comes from "Zeon army's G (Gundam class) mobile suit

Yazan comes from yakuza (nickname "yaa-san") (not MS but still amusing)

Asshimar comes from the phrase "a, shimatta"

Big Zam = Big Thumb (try to say thumb in Japanese and you should hopefully get this)

Gathelby = named after the economoist John Kenneth Galbraith.

Gouf is basically fugu backwards due to the poison of it the fugu and the effect the heat rod has there is something else too but I can't make it out clearly.

Z'Gok = Moving in the water. Water = Sui, Moving = Ugoku, put the two together.

Bigro = Big Claw (same thinking as Big Zam)

Jagd Doga = Named after a German Army Tank.

R-Jarja = named after a place in Jordan with a simular name, I'm not sure of the real name of the place.

Elmeth named after the Greek god Hermes who wore a 3-cornered hat.

Graburo = Crab (do I really need to say this again?)

And while I'm at it the Hyaku Shiki isn't named after the model number that's came after I'm sure. It's named after the idea that the design would last for 100 years.

So there are quite a few meanings such as words and phrases in Japanese, people, obscure things, etc. Clearly some of the meaning is lost in the explination when you try to translate it. But while it does seem like gibberish they do seem to have some method to their madness. There is quite a bit more too but yeah that's it for now. As for Sazabi I read somewhere about some famous work of art and something about that.
Last edited by Mark064 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Draco Starcloud

wing zero alpha wrote:Great, that makes even less sense. :roll:
Makes sense to me. The Nemo is supposed to be the AEUG's grunt and aside from visible cast members, I don't think more than one or two Nemo pilots are named. Hence, they're nobodies.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
quasadra

Mark064 wrote:Asshimar comes from the phrase "a, shimatta"
whoa, is this real? but then again i think thats what the engineer thinks when he/she completes the Asshimar. :wink:(come on, i mean is this a flying saucer? it would count for 90% of the UFO sightings in UC.)

EDIT: this has got to be my sig.
Last edited by quasadra on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark064

Supposedly they are all supposed to be. That one actually makes quite a bit of sense if you think about it especially if you consider that Buran's last line before his death was "Asshimar!"
supperrfreek

mcred23 wrote:
Toxicity wrote:OZ/Romafeller from Gundam Wing tend to name their suits after the constellations. Ya know, Leo, Virgo, Taurus, etc.
Actually, the OZ names are all taken from Zodiac signs (OZ does stand for "Organization of Zodiac" afterall). The only MS that doesn't follow this system is the Tragos, which is often seen as a substitute for Capricorn (Sea Goat).
actually to my knowledge, tallgeese and Epyon don't follow this system and I don't really know if libra does either (it's not a zodiac constellation)