Neo-Zeon Royal Guard Colors?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mafty

Neo-Zeon Royal Guard Colors?

So this talk about MS Paint got me thinking, why are so many Neo-Zeon MS painted Red and Gold? There is The Bawoo, the R-Jarja, The Geymalk, and Ple Two's Qubeley MK II. Is it supposed to be symbolic of some kind of Royal color for Zeon? All of these units were piloted by people who were (at first in Glemmys case) close to Haman Karn. Or is it supposed to be some kind of bizarre reference to Char the Red Comet who Haman has a complicated history with?
Underrated GM Custom

Re: Neo-Zeon Royal Guard Colors?

The red Regelgu was also a Royal Guard style suit as I recall.

I don't think it has any reference to Char since there are other notable red units from the OYW including their space fleet, all the Gwazine class flagships were red for instance. The Red and Gold likely comes from the colors chosen by the Zabi family, if you look at the collars of Degwin Zabi for instance you'll see Red with gold trim so it makes sense that Royal Guard units would have the same since they are protecting Mineva Zabi.
MythSearcher

There's also the Gwazines that are all red, Chivvay class that was their old battleship(turned heavy cruiser) was also that similar orangey red.
So I don't see it being anything related the Char but more like Zeon has some tendency to use that colour.
Mafty

Zeon does seem to have a habit of using red; there is also the Musaka and Rewloola from CCA, plus Char's personal Sazabi, Char and Quess's uniforms and Quess's Jagd Doga. We find out a lot about Char ; however we never really see why red became associated with him in universe, out of universe it's probably a shout out to the Red Baron(something further referenced in Victory Gundam with Pippendens Flying Circus, the same term given to the Red Baron.) So it being the Zeon Royal Color or something similar makes a lot of sense; especially since in the universal century stories Red is largely used by Zeon factions (except for the Zanscare).
MythSearcher

Out of universe they used red a lot was because they had a batch of red paint that needed to be used, so they designed a character that can use a lot of red.
Well, yes, of course it has a little to do with red baron, but that is how they were going to justify personal colour.
Mafty

I've heard of the production difficulties FG faced; particularly involving budget and resources, allegedly they had only 80 something colors, meanwhile something like Space Battleship Yamato had over 300. So using what colors they had was really the best choice and ended up becoming popular in the end.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:08 pm I've heard of the production difficulties FG faced; particularly involving budget and resources, allegedly they had only 80 something colors, meanwhile something like Space Battleship Yamato had over 300. So using what colors they had was really the best choice and ended up becoming popular in the end.
Yes, as YAS' own words put it, only the grey palette he can use in Yamato has more colours than the whole colour palette for FG.

But this is not really that much of a problem if you consider how back in the early 90's they only have 16 colours on computer games and they can still coop with that and make bishojo games.(from the manga 16 bit Sensation, they can't even use all 16 colours, some of them were used as frame and thus the number of colours they can use is even less)