OYW Questions

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
OYW Fan

OYW Questions

I figure I'll start a topic for anytime I have a question I can't find the answer too.

I've been wondering what if any difference there is in the joints of the RX-78-2 versus the RX-79 [G]/RGM-79 [G]/ 0080 GMs or any other OYW suit that doesn't have the circular screw type protrusions at the elbows, knees and ankles. Do they make the RX-78-2's joints stronger or anything, or are they just for aesthetics? I'm curious as I find the look of the RX-78-2's joints better than the Gundam [G]'s flat look and would like to know if anything has ever been written about the difference.

Second question is, how many RX-78-1 Gundams were produced? There's an illustration from Gundam Historica that depicts 4 standing up on trailers, though I assume there is meant to be 6 total as there are probably 2 more behind the front 3. I could be mistaken though.

Lastly, does anyone know if toysdream (Mark Simmons) still frequents these boards?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
SonicSP

Re: OYW Questions

Mark is still around.
Seto Kaiba

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:42 am I've been wondering what if any difference there is in the joints of the RX-78-2 versus the RX-79 [G]/RGM-79 [G]/ 0080 GMs or any other OYW suit that doesn't have the circular screw type protrusions at the elbows, knees and ankles. Do they make the RX-78-2's joints stronger or anything, or are they just for aesthetics? I'm curious as I find the look of the RX-78-2's joints better than the Gundam [G]'s flat look and would like to know if anything has ever been written about the difference.
According to multiple volumes of Master Archive Mobile Suit, that is the housing for the high-torque field motors that drive the elbow and knee joints. If you removed the armor from any model of MS that uses field motors you'd find similar structures. It's noted therein that the Federation designs often leave the field motor housing exposed so that it can be serviced easily without having to remove the outer armor. Other designs leave the housing flush to the armor's surface and have a circular maintenance access panel on either side of the joint so the motor can be removed by the maintenance crews for servicing.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:42 am Second question is, how many RX-78-1 Gundams were produced? There's an illustration from Gundam Historica that depicts 4 standing up on trailers, though I assume there is meant to be 6 total as there are probably 2 more behind the front 3. I could be mistaken though.
Most sources generally agree that there were a total of eight RX-78 Gundam units produced at the Earth Federation's Jaburo Arsenal plant in UC0079. Later works finesse this into two production blocks. The "First Lot" of three RX-78s which were delivered to various space-based testing sites and the "Second Lot" of five RX-78s that were used to test systems for the RGM-79 at Jaburo before being sent into the field.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
OYW Fan

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 pm
OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:42 am I've been wondering what if any difference there is in the joints of the RX-78-2 versus the RX-79 [G]/RGM-79 [G]/ 0080 GMs or any other OYW suit that doesn't have the circular screw type protrusions at the elbows, knees and ankles. Do they make the RX-78-2's joints stronger or anything, or are they just for aesthetics? I'm curious as I find the look of the RX-78-2's joints better than the Gundam [G]'s flat look and would like to know if anything has ever been written about the difference.
According to multiple volumes of Master Archive Mobile Suit, that is the housing for the high-torque field motors that drive the elbow and knee joints. If you removed the armor from any model of MS that uses field motors you'd find similar structures. It's noted therein that the Federation designs often leave the field motor housing exposed so that it can be serviced easily without having to remove the outer armor. Other designs leave the housing flush to the armor's surface and have a circular maintenance access panel on either side of the joint so the motor can be removed by the maintenance crews for servicing.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:42 am Second question is, how many RX-78-1 Gundams were produced? There's an illustration from Gundam Historica that depicts 4 standing up on trailers, though I assume there is meant to be 6 total as there are probably 2 more behind the front 3. I could be mistaken though.
Most sources generally agree that there were a total of eight RX-78 Gundam units produced at the Earth Federation's Jaburo Arsenal plant in UC0079. Later works finesse this into two production blocks. The "First Lot" of three RX-78s which were delivered to various space-based testing sites and the "Second Lot" of five RX-78s that were used to test systems for the RGM-79 at Jaburo before being sent into the field.
Thanks Seto. Now that you mention it, I believe I've heard that about the joints. It's been years and I had forgotten though. As for the Prototype Gundam, I had seen it being used in Spirits of Zeon, twice, though it could have been Farrell Iha's unit just repaired into the FA-78-1 and given to Takashi Kitamoto, as well as seeing that picture of multiple units before, so I was curious. I know that Spirits is in no way canon, but I like to think that with a few story tweaks, it doesn't seem that implausible. I was sure I had read that the original Gundams actually had more than just 3 units built, but I can't seem to remember where. Maybe from Mark or some obscure site from the 2000's. I really appreciate the feedback. Do you know what sources tell this Gundam units info by any chance?
Seto Kaiba

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:29 pm I was sure I had read that the original Gundams actually had more than just 3 units built, but I can't seem to remember where.
Gundam Century was one of the first publications to mention there were eight... so likely there, or from a translation of same.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:29 pm Maybe from Mark or some obscure site from the 2000's. I really appreciate the feedback. Do you know what sources tell this Gundam units info by any chance?
My go-to is Master Archive Mobile Suit, though mainly because my Gundam collection is nowhere near as large or all-inclusive as my Macross one.

Master Archive Mobile Suit: RX-78 Gundam offers details on the Prototype (initial rollout config.) version of RX-78-1, as well as the seven trial production specifications (RX-78-1 thru RX-78-7) and the NT-1. They put the GP series in a different book.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 pm
Most of the time I've heard about 3 lots.
G-1~3, G04~06, G07 & 08.
The last lot wasn't finished by the end of the war and G07 only has its inner frame finished.(and later material finished it around 0081)
OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:29 pm I was sure I had read that the original Gundams actually had more than just 3 units built, but I can't seem to remember where. Maybe from Mark or some obscure site from the 2000's. I really appreciate the feedback. Do you know what sources tell this Gundam units info by any chance?
And I can confirm you that on P.42 of Gundam Century, it says for the 8 prototypes, 2 were shipped to Lunar 2 for testing of the high energy beam rifle. So all a long you have 8 until at least 0080 where you get the G-4 project in which each of the 4 branches of EFF all have their own Gundam.(hence the director when asked if this is the 4th unit joked the NT-1 is technically unit 9 if you really want to count)
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:41 am Most of the time I've heard about 3 lots.
G-1~3, G04~06, G07 & 08.
The last lot wasn't finished by the end of the war and G07 only has its inner frame finished.(and later material finished it around 0081)
The way I've seen it described, Units 4-8 were originally constructed during the One Year War at the RX-78-1 or RX-78-2 specification level and were used to evaluate components and so on for the RGM-79A initial type GM.

Once the testing was done, Units 4 and 5 were transferred to the Augusta Base development center for conversion into space warfare-use MS designs and the divergent specifications were listed as RX-78-4 and RX-78-5 respectively at that point. They were assigned the the Thoroughbred and fought at A Baoa Qu. Units 6-8 were retained at Jaburo, and were used to continue development of new weapons and design refinements. Unit 6 was planned for conversion to an artillery support specification and was partway through its retrofit to the RX-78-6 specification at the time the Battle of Jaburo began. It participated in the defensive battle despite being incomplete and was disabled. Unit 7 and possibly Unit 8 were used as Full Armor test frames at Jaburo being Unit 7 was routed to Augusta to be used to evaluate some next-generation MS tech including the all-sky monitor that delayed the completion of Specification 7 until after the end of the war.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:24 am
The way I've seen it described, Units 4-8 were originally constructed during the One Year War at the RX-78-1 or RX-78-2 specification level and were used to evaluate components and so on for the RGM-79A initial type GM.

Once the testing was done, Units 4 and 5 were transferred to the Augusta Base development center for conversion into space warfare-use MS designs and the divergent specifications were listed as RX-78-4 and RX-78-5 respectively at that point. They were assigned the the Thoroughbred and fought at A Baoa Qu. Units 6-8 were retained at Jaburo, and were used to continue development of new weapons and design refinements. Unit 6 was planned for conversion to an artillery support specification and was partway through its retrofit to the RX-78-6 specification at the time the Battle of Jaburo began. It participated in the defensive battle despite being incomplete and was disabled. Unit 7 and possibly Unit 8 were used as Full Armor test frames at Jaburo being Unit 7 was routed to Augusta to be used to evaluate some next-generation MS tech including the all-sky monitor that delayed the completion of Specification 7 until after the end of the war.
In Gundam Century it is not that specific. It only stated out of the 8 prototypes, 2 where shipped to Lunar II for high energy beam rifle testing.
In M-MSV, it was stated the RX-78-7 wasn't finished other than the basic frame during OYW and was still in the design phase by the end of the war.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gunda ... 0107053947
Underrated GM Custom

Regarding joints you may find this thread interesting: https://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=15712

There's some speculation whether the joint caps on the designs were indicative of armored protection or perhaps even evidence of the magnet coating being applied. Of course it could also be a design aesthetic based on the designer.