NEW OYW MS DESIGNS ARE GETTING OUT OF HAND, AS WELL AS MORE AND MORE UNUNIFORMED CHARACTER DESIGNS.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
OYW Fan

NEW OYW MS DESIGNS ARE GETTING OUT OF HAND, AS WELL AS MORE AND MORE UNUNIFORMED CHARACTER DESIGNS.

Every new design and story these days for the Feds is based off of the Sniper II. The Pale Riders, all 6 of them, as well as the Black Dogs new units all have the same features and feel of the Sniper II, a unit that itself only saw a very small amount built, and deployed in the last month of the war. Am I the only one who thinks this is getting old, and making what used to be a pretty sound universe, shakier and shakier? We're seeing things that have no place in the OYW more and more. Thunderbolt could have been epic, as character designs were great, yet they have suits that are literal fortresses, destroying the core story, in my opinion. Why introduce suits that already had versions made, and a Gundam in Atlas that is an abomination not only in design, but in setting, as nothing like that should even be close to being in the OYW.

As for stories, every new unit is some special unit, with the worst ones having terrible child like character designs. The fairies look like little girls, aside from the commander and sniper. Their starting MS are reasonable well known variations of Zakus, then they're given MS that are in very rare supply, on Earth no less. I'm sorry to vent, but their are tons of MS designs that could be used, and given minor tweaks, but at the very least, there are so many characters from the OYW lore, that at least some of them could be fleshed out instead. Take Brenev and Tenneth, or anyone else from the Top Aces list. We know virtually nothing besides the snippets of info given about them, whilst the Fairies, which I love the idea of an all female unit, and Mobile Suit Gundam Aggressor, a Unit of ex-Zeon's, both with childlike character designs, are given insane equipment, get a ton of time and money put into them with their game and manga. The premises are great, I literally had come up with something almost identical to these two stories, though all in one giant story, years ago. Mine was much more uniform with the Gundam world, and the characters didn't look like children. Every new story is some top secret unit no one has ever heard of, with the most advanced machines. It's not fun anymore. Blue Destiny is now a mangled mess, with the Pale Rider series basically stealing the entire concept, and the designs being butchered by NAOKI. It's truly sad.

I know I sound whiney, but for any major OYW fan, this has to annoy them, at least a little. I can't be the only one.

All the sides stories that are worth anything, 08th MS Team, Blue Destiny, Rise From the Ashes, Lost War Chronicles, Space, To The End Of A Flash, Cross Dimension 0079, MS Igloo, Mobile Suit Gundam : Spirits Of Zeon, had great character designs, and believable MS with Spirits having some of the best I've seen in a long while, and no one looked like a child in them for the most part. Spirits obviously has a couple things in the game that I chalk up to just being a game, but other than that, the characters felt real, and they only got suits that were already very established. Aside from it's flaw of being a shooter game, it's graphics made me feel like I was actually in the world of Gundam, bright vivid low poly depictions that stuck perfectly to the MS designs. It was like I was watching an anime, and really made me wish they would start focusing on making Gundam anime, games, manga more like Spirits Of Zeon as well as Origin the animation.

Anyways, I don't expect this thread to last, but my love for Gundam was reignited thanks to The Origin animation. Does it deter from what many know to be canon, yes. However in some regards, I think it fixes some flaws in the old lore. If Mark Simmons was still around, I'd love to catch up with him, as well, as I used to bug him with a topic called OYW Questions incessantly, so if anyone knows if he still visits these boards, that would be great. Anyway, cheers for anyone who read this screed and I'd love to hear from others on their feelings on the directions Gundam OYW series/manga/games have taken.
Last edited by OYW Fan on Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seto Kaiba

Re: NEW OYW MS DESIGNS ARE GETTING OUT OF HAND, AS WELL AS MORE AND MORE UNUNIFORMED CHARACTER DESIGNS.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm Am I the only one who thinks this is getting old, and making what used to be a pretty sound universe, shakier and shakier?
As a setting, the Universal Century has been sorely lacking in originality for decades now.

That said, the problem isn't the mechanical designs. It's the punishing lack of original thought in the writing that makes most UC Gundam stories and characters feel completely interchangeable. It's gotten so bad that it's become something of a plot hole that the latest incarnation of space fascism doesn't just pack it in immediately the second the Federation rolls out a Gundam, because we all know how that ends.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm We're seeing things that have no place in the OYW more and more.
Like what? The Universal Century has had some pretty bizarre designs from the outset. The Principality of Zeon had some ASTONISHINGLY dodgy aerospace engineering going for it, and many of their prototype mobile suits are hilariously goofy looking thanks to their wonderfully dated late 70's aesthetic.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm Thunderbolt could have been epic, as character designs were great, yet they have suits that are literal fortresses, destroying the core story, in my opinion. Why introduce suits that already had versions made, and a Gundam in Atlas that is an abomination not only in design, but in setting, as nothing like that should even be close to being in the OYW.
... and just like that, you've lost me. My read on Thunderbolt could best be summed up as "the first title in the Edgelord Century". It's UC Gundam for this guy.

As for a MS that's a literal fortress... it's not like UC's most celebrated titles didn't already do that. Psycho Gundam what?

I do agree that the Atlas is probably the single fugliest thing to come out of the franchise in ages, though.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm As for stories, every new unit is some special unit, with the worst ones having terrible child like character designs. The fairies look like little girls, aside from the commander and sniper.
... so wait, your complaint here is that the generic OC waifus in Battle Operation: Generic OC Waifu Edition, a game that sold itself on the fact that it had generic OC waifus as its main cast, are in fact generic OC waifus?

I am increasingly confused by your premise here. Especially since the #1 reason for Gundam characters to look like children is that THEY ARE children. Gundam's cup runneth over with child soldiers and teenagers drafted into the service in extremis. Elpeo Ple was all of what, ten years old, when she appeared as Neo Zeon's trump card? Uso Ewin was 13 when he was forced to fight for the League Militaire. Judau Ashta was 14 when he was forced to fight Neo Zeon. Amuro was 15 when he was dragooned into the Federal service. Banagher Links was 16 when he was caught between the Federal Army and the Sleeves. Kamille and Seabrook were on the older side at a whopping 17 years old when they fought the Titans and Crossbone Vanguard respectively. As far as I can tell, the same is true for the members of Noisy Fairy squadron... who are all teenagers between 15 and 18 except for their 24 year old commander.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm Their starting MS are reasonable well known variations of Zakus, then they're given MS that are in very rare supply, on Earth no less. I'm sorry to vent, but their are tons of MS designs that could be used, and given minor tweaks, [...]
Giving the protagonists extreme rare mobile suits that are in short supply and have super high specs is pretty much Gundam story trope #2... #1 being the protagonist having a nigh-invulnerable super prototype.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm [...] but at the very least, there are so many characters from the OYW lore, that at least some of them could be fleshed out instead. Take Brenev and Tenneth, or anyone else from the Top Aces list. We know virtually nothing besides the snippets of info given about them, whilst the Fairies, which I love the idea of an all female unit, and Mobile Suit Gundam Aggressor, a Unit of ex-Zeon's, both with childlike character designs, are given insane equipment, get a ton of time and money put into them with their game and manga. [...]
But the complete lack of character development for those aces means there is functionally no difference between developing those virtual unknowns and creating new characters from scratch if you're developing a new story.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm The premises are great, I literally had come up with something almost identical to these two stories, [...]
Considering how generic the premise is, that is not exactly a challenging exercise.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm Every new story is some top secret unit no one has ever heard of, with the most advanced machines.
If you replaced "secret" with "irregular", you'd be describing most of the UC.

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm I know I sound whiney, but for any major OYW fan, this has to annoy them, at least a little. I can't be the only one.
I wouldn't say you sound whiny... it's more that the things you're complaining about have been standard fixtures in UC Gundam for literal decades, if not since the beginning, so you sound inconsistent.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

Re: NEW OYW MS DESIGNS ARE GETTING OUT OF HAND, AS WELL AS MORE AND MORE UNUNIFORMED CHARACTER DESIGNS.

Now that you mention it a lot of these Redesigned OYW era suits do look like the GM Sniper II, which to be fair, at 32 years old is one of the older variations out there, and rather less over the top than many of the successors. The OYW is easily the most popular era of Gundam (why else would they keep pumping out sequels and side stories) which is actually odd when you think about it, instead of constantly making Cosmetically Enhanced Prequels, setting a work later in the timeline would help a bit more in the continuity process. I've actually wondered why they didn't do Gundam the Origin as a full miniseries alternate retelling(Like the Zeta Compilation movies) it would actually make more sense to stick most of the sequels in the alternate Origin Timelines with its more advanced tech and different timelines.

As for the cute designs; Moe and Mecha have often gone together in Otaku circles, long before Moe was even named, which resulted in an odd mix of gritty machines, and cute anime characters. This can be seen dating back to the 1980s when the real robot boom began to take over. Often cute characters were added to appeal to parts of the fanbase. You can see this with Minmay and Shammy in Macross, Mome in Orguss, Mint in Mospeda, Sepia in Iczer 1, Elpeo in ZZ,Most of the cast of Gunbuster and arguably C-ko in Project A-ko amongst many others. I'll admit to not having a problem with the more light, cute aspects being added to a darker storyline, the Loli fanservice however is something I don't like at all.

The secret unit factor is another reason I think the alternate universe aspect would work a lot better in terms of technology. Having mobile suits on both sides being heavily mass produced; allows more logic in the different types of units, while also tying into the amount of prototypes. Gundam The Origin has more units that are mass produced by both sides, and are resdesigned in a more modern style. The increased weaponry and earlier adoption of the mechs in combat make it easier to tie in side stories like Gundam 0080 , The 08th MS Team and especially IGLOO. That being said Thunderbolt takes things to a rather different level, and this is probably why it's said to be an alternate universe retelling.
OYW Fan

In reply to Seto Kaiba,

Clearly you missed the OYW point I made from the onset, as I'm not a fan of most other Gundam settings, though I can watch them. Nowhere did I state Universal Century as a whole, so you kind of jumped the gun, and no, Gundam hasn't been lacking in decades. The 90's and 2000's brought the OYW roaring back. My interests basically stop at 0083, though Crossbone Gundam seems fun, aside from the horrible art style. I described titles that not only fit the OYW, but improved it overall with the side story games/manga. The premises to both Fairies and Aggressor have never been done before in Gundam, so yeah, they are great as they are original. They just got butchered when they got written and brought to life. If you were fleshing out OYW MSV Aces, you wouldn't be making a new story for the most part, you'd just be giving them more detail and bringing what we already know to life. Coming up with all new characters and stories is much more daunting, and lately they have failed to me.

For the record I haven't played Gundam Battle Operation or the New Fairy Add on as I don't buy gaming systems anymore and just game on my PC. Your new age terms on anime tropes like waifus is worthless here, and no, most characters in OYW lore are not children. You may want to check MSV characters and their ages, as most are grown men, that's why the premise of a total female unit is great to me. It's just the fleshing out of the characters into child looking weirdo garbage is just to much to stomach for me. I'm a grown man, I'm not into little kids like the people who enjoy that trope and art style. Why I accept Amuro and the White Base crew being children, is that is the main premise of the story. An unbelievably odd cast of children characters taking on an unbelievable burden and becoming heroes in the OYW. Again, you missed the whole OYW MAIN POINT. I absolutely adore almost every design from the late 70's early 80's MSV and MSV-R, especially when they're cleaned up (Think RX-78-2 OYW Version), and all with only a few outcasts. My issue is with every new OYW design coming out lately being based off the Sniper II.

I really appreciate your feedback though, and I laughed at you being mad that I don't like Thunderbolt and posting that Transformers Meme, but to each their own. Most of the people who enjoy Thunderbolt are younger I find, and don't mind that it completely destroys OYW cohesion. Like I said, character design was fine to me, they lost me, when every mobile suit had 10 helper hands and 6 shields, and 5 armaments, and maneuvering thrusters all over their bodies, which destroys the whole need for mobile suits in the first place, as they were designed to use their limbs to turn and move in space without needing propulsion.

Lastly, yes I am that guy that hated what Michael Bay did to Transformers. Have you ever actually watched those movies? Watch how locations literally jump from Philadelphia to the mountains of Nevada/California in one chase with his dreadful editing. Not to mention the awful looks of the Transformers themselves. You know what Optimus Prime has been missing all these years? A conventional hood and FLAMES! Complete garbage. It scares me that they'll do that to Gundam as well, with the new Gundam concept art looking awful proportionally. Though I'm hoping I'm wrong and will give it a chance.

Anyway, you seem to be sick of Gundam more than me, as you weren't being very positive with your reply, but I'm sure that's not the case as you wouldn't be on these boards. Anyways, like I said, I appreciate the response, and you be safe and have a good one.
Seto Kaiba

OYW Fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:20 am Clearly you missed the OYW point I made from the onset,[...]]
I get the feeling you didn't actually read what I wrote with any care.

OYW Fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:20 am The 90's and 2000's brought the OYW roaring back.
At no point was I talking about sales figures... it's always been a money spinner because the UC is for the die-hard fans. I was just saying it's boring as hell, but that doesn't stop the committed fans from spending.

OYW Fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:20 am For the record I haven't played Gundam Battle Operation or the New Fairy Add on as I don't buy gaming systems anymore and just game on my PC. Your new age terms on anime tropes like waifus is worthless here, [...]
OK, so you're complaining from a position of ignorance.

Understood.

OYW Fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:20 am [...] and no, most characters in OYW lore are not children.
... this can best be described as "entertainingly wrong". It's very rare for a non-supporting character to be out of their teens.

OYW Fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:20 am You may want to check MSV characters and their ages, [...]
MSV's comparatively obscure and largely irrelevant... the characters audiences are familiar with, the ones in the TV anime, movies, manga, and video games driving the franchise, are almost invariably teenagers. It's EXCEEDINGLY rare for a Gundam story to have a protagonist who is out of their teens when they become the main character. The only one I can think of who fills that criteria is Hathaway Noa in Hathaway's Flash, where he's 25. He was 13 in Char's Counterattack.

OYW Fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:20 am Why I accept Amuro and the White Base crew being children, is that is the main premise of the story. An unbelievably odd cast of children characters taking on an unbelievable burden and becoming heroes in the OYW.
The main characters being kids or "young adults" at best is the norm in practically all of Gundam... that the members of Noisy Fairy Squadron are teenagers is thoroughly typical of the franchise in most any media format. The MSV characters you're referring to are the exception, not the rule.

What I'm getting at here is your complaints do not make sense in context if you're actually familiar with the UC at all...

OYW Fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:20 am Again, you missed the whole OYW MAIN POINT. I absolutely adore almost every design from the 70's MSV and all with only a few outcasts. My issue is with every new OYW design coming out lately being based off the Sniper II.
Which, like your other complaints, doesn't really make a ton of sense since there's very little visual difference to be had between the Sniper II and several other much more common variants like the D, G, and GS and several of those were relatively commonplace early-to-mid model GMs that were later commonized into the RGM-79C. It's obnoxious that there are so many variants, but it's not unreasonable that many of the contemporaries bear close visual resemblances to each other and especially to a specific widely used set of pre-standardization variants.

OYW Fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:20 am I really appreciate your feedback though, and I laughed at you being mad that I don't like Thunderbolt and posting that Transformers Meme, but to each their own.
... you really didn't read, did you?

Far from being mad at you for not liking it, I was expressing my own disgust with the series as a nigh-unwatchable mess of edgy nonsense. :lol:

OYW Fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:20 am Anyway, you seem to be sick of Gundam more than me, as you weren't being very positive with your reply, but I'm sure that's not the case as you wouldn't be on these boards. Anyways, like I said, I appreciate the response, and you be safe and have a good one.
It would be more accurate to say I find the UC tedious nowadays because it has so little to offer in the way of new or original concepts. It's the same story, told over and over and over and over and over... and only the names are changed to protect the record. I'm quite fond of several AU stories, and the classics.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

It does kind of make sense that the variants would share kind of a similar design. You can even some of the different side stories try to retcon different designs by making prototypes set in earlier works, or successors in later works. For example the Gustav Karl appears during the Laplace incident in Unicorn, as does the Loto a very early prototype of the Guntank seen in F91, the Queen Mansa has a successor in the Kshatriya, as the α-Azieru has in the Neo Zeong. Speaking of the GM Sniper II, does anyone think the Jesta kind of follows this design as well?

The youth aspect is probably a hold over from the fact that Gundam was originally(and by most accounts still is to a degree) aimed at the Shonen (pre-teen to teenage boys) Demographic, so having characters of around the same age makes sense. The fanservice aspect of this (which as I have said previously I don't like at all) is another story entirely.

It would be nice if they would expand stories beyond just the OYW a bit; and given the continuity issues retconning all this tech leads to, you wonder why they don't just add it in later timelines. Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory was up until Unicorn the only UC animated side story to not be set during the One Year War; granted the series itself had issues later on, but that was because of the storyline, not the mech designs. If anything it makes more sense to set a more mech heavy story later, because after the OYW all sides of a conflict were heavily mass producing Mobile Suits. Also Stardust Memory actually changed the status quo a bit by having the effects of the conflict tie into the later storylines, instead of having increasingly grandiose Newtype battles, that were somehow covered up.
OYW Fan

In response to Seto Kaiba again,

Yes I read your reply twice. You keep talking about Gundam as a franchise which I do not care as much about and not the specific time frame I'm a fan of. Should I list every major character's age from OYW games, manga, and animations? You'll find only original MSG has an abundance of children as a OYW story. The rest are all in their 20's or older. This turn back to child like designs is only recent. The 90's and 2000's brought many new OYW MS designs into 0079, without having to make every variant a Sniper II spinoff. The entire 08th MS team was basically new designs, or nicely upgraded ones. Same with, Blue Destiny, and Space/Flash, Cross Dimension (which has slowly become more accepted 0079 lore with the (Pixie (only one prototype was supposedly made, now we have 4 or 5 if I'm remembering correctly, which tells me it's found it's place in the OYW after being considered an alternate reality, hence Cross Dimension...) and Efreet (8 Made) popping up in every new story and MS Igloo, with it's awesome Zudah, and Guntanks, yet horrible "realistic CGI". So I think you missed the point I was making about the OYW roaring back, because I wasn't talking financially, but creatively. I see now, you're just not a fan of OYW, and to a larger extent UC as a whole, because it's very constrained on the types of stories it can tell, and that's fine. All anime and to a larger extent entertainment is basically stale at this point if you think about it, as every story has been told with slight differences in settings and characters. It's like the South Park episode "The Simpsons Already Did It", and it's true, as there is nothing truly unique at this point. Everything has been influenced by something else in some way. Again, when I speak of the issues I find with Gundam these days, I'm referring only to OYW stories.

As for my take on Fairies. First, I don't use the trope lingo for any anime, as I'm almost 36, who's been watching anime since I was a child and can express my thoughts and descriptions by using more than one word descriptions like waifu, for teenage girls. The term makes no sense to me, as most teens are not wife material. Second, there's nothing ignorant about watching the previews for it, and reading the released info, to know I'm not interested in it. You probably have things you're not interested in, even without trying them. Everyone does. I'm sure Battle Operation is a fun game, and I'm thrilled they've put an insane amount of MS, especially from the OYW in it, though I'm not a fan of trying to make things look ultra realistic. That's why they release trailers/info, and demos in the first place, so people can determine if they're interested or not. Every bit of info released has told me to steer clear. Low poly, colorful, stylized games are more my taste. Like I said, Spirits of Zeon and The Origin animation are perfect visual representations of OYW Gundam to me, and I wish more stories would follow suit. I would love to see the entire White Base story reanimated in the style of Origin, for a new generation of fans, as I'm sure it would do extremely well. My biggest dream, and it's definitely a pipe dream, is that one artist would be brought in to illustrate every character (I wish I could figure out who the Spirits of Zeon character designer was, or the Gihren's Greed Character artist), and MS, (either Kyoshi Takigawa or Hajime Katoki, or someone I may not know that I have artwork from on my computer) from every OYW animation, game, and manga, to make a uniform complete guide.

Lastly, you felt some kind of way to bother searching and posting a link to someone's blog comic, about a guy who wanted Transformers to not be a family movie, when I commented on Thunderbolt. I found nothing wrong with the "edgy" characters in it, as Gundam has ALWAYS been predicated on being "edgy". Amuro was a teen, dealing with the weight of an entire ship's safety on his shoulders, and losing his first crush, and then his second, (by his own hands) in gruesome fashion both times. Not to mention all the series that followed MSG, and the amount of characters killed off. Pretty edgy compared to American comics and cartoons if you ask me. Like I said, the mech designs are what killed Thunderbolt for me, not the characters or story, though the second half of the tale gets wonky.

I'm not trying to come off as argumentative, as I I have nothing against you, but maybe next time relax and express your own feelings without trying to put the person you're replying to down. You've been trying to do that throughout your posts for no reason. If you don't agree, that's fine. I asked for other peoples takes on how they're feeling about OYW material lately, not for your critique of my opinions. There is no high horse to stand on here. Again, I appreciate your replies, but MAFTY seems to have understood the meaning behind my post, without being snarky. Anyways, like I've said before, thanks for the reply, be safe, and have a good one.
Last edited by OYW Fan on Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OYW Fan

Mafty, you seem to get my point. I understand that most units would have to look like other units, but every new MS I'm seeing these days, has the legs, skirt, shoulders, and chest, torso as the Sniper II, with a Gundam mouth plate/ mask thrown on it for the most part. I don't understand why they can't fiddle around with other units to design an MS, like the Original GM or the GM and Gundam ground units being modified like Shiro's Ez8. It seems like a waste to keep using the Sniper II over and over again.

I'm a fan of UC Gundam, but most of my interest in in the OYW because there are so many stories that could be told, because so much was going on during the OYW.

I appreciate your feedback, and glad that you see it too. I didn't feel this way in the 90's and 2000's about the direction Gundam 0079 was headed, but now I'm worried for my beloved OYW.
John-Luck Pickerd

Spartans and Sniper 2s and several other variations all drew inspiration on the GM redesign done for 0080 War in the Pocket(see Cold District & Commands) which is admittedly more modern than the original GM design. Maybe thats why Bandai use the 0080-style design as basis for new variant #368125. If you want to talk in-universe, I am pretty sure all of those were connected, one way or the other, to the Cold District. But I digress.

However, I am not disagreeing with you. UC has been running for a long time, audience taste change, aesthetics change, and authors/artists often do want or need to make their unit more unique and "cooler" than the previous ones for the lack of better word. Whats worse, so many of UC stories are set in OYW which means alot of these new designs is gonna take place at that time. Some of the more... questionable design choices are the result of these issues snowballing for decades. Like, who in their right mind stuck a wifi router on the head of a Rider suit, I'll tell you who, someone that either wants or was forced by corporate mandate to make something distinct, for model kit purposes.

Its not just UC either, look at the any long-running AU and their sidestories, compare how MS in the sidestories looks like at the during the AUs launch, to how MS looks like after 10-15 years of publishing sidestories.

Speaking of fairies. Thats the point. its literally an unit formed coz Kycilia thinks "lol its total war time, even girls and kids should be used by the military as well if they have the talent for it." Their units looks pretty, but its really just a collection of random stuff they got their hands on. A prototype Dom that California base has no use for after testing plus bit and pieces from salvaged machines, Efreet the failed mass production candidate that is inferior to the Dom (in Zeon's eye) and made more or less redundant by Gouf Customs. i am not even sure if the Titania(frame similar to Kämpfer) was originally intended for them.
Last edited by John-Luck Pickerd on Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John-Luck Pickerd

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:12 am
As a setting, the Universal Century has been sorely lacking in originality for decades now.
Agree, it just feels like you can swap a character/mecha or two from one story to the other and honestly, there wouldnt be much of a difference. And some storylines start to blur together.
OYW Fan

John-Luck...

Let's be honest, the Rider suits shouldn't exist. Period. We have that story already, it was called Blue Destiny. You're right though. This is all a model kit money grab. It's a lot easier to make new kits, if they only have to change the head and a few other minor pieces.

They shouldn't have to mess with the OYW though to get these designs out there. That's what the Gundam Build series should be for.

As for originality, there's really nothing new that can be told as far as I see it. For example, give me a quick outline of an original story you think she be told. I bet you find it's extremely difficult, as everything has basically been told. Even aliens made their way into Gundam 00, so I don't think it's an easy task.
Underrated GM Custom

I understand your frustration OYW Fan. I love the UC setting but I think the OYW itself has gotten extremely oversaturated in order to sell new model kits. Personally, my favorite side stories are the ones that utilize existing variants instead of adding yet another variant created in an extremely small time period. It would certainly be nice if they set more side stories in less explored areas of UC, but I imagine they are risk averse to doing that since UC kits sell the best. I happen to like what MSV-R is doing with the 0091 period even if they go overboard at times. 0083 Rebellion is a similar beast that mostly uses existing variants although the story gets wackier with each new chapter. Unfortunately, sidestories like to up the ante, it's been hard to find ones that are more grounded.

I agree with your point on character designs. Code Fairy reminds me of Gundam Narrative where the character designs seem very out of place with established design aesthetics. As with all things, Bandai is likely testing the waters to see if they can sell to an untapped market by using different design aesthetics.
Last edited by Underrated GM Custom on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MythSearcher

tl;dr

Side note: Bright Noa was 19 during OYW, is still a teenager and he was made captain of THE Whitebase.
And while Char's waist line of 22 inchs is pretty low, his age is lower, he is only 19 during most of OYW(d.o.b. 17/11/0059), well, doesn't stop him from going to have some fun in a child brothel and met Lalah there, who is 14.

Only non-teenager protagonists in the franchise is Shiro Amada(23). Even Kou Uraki is 19 only.(in 0083)

And my favourite realistic Gundam show, 0080, the lead character Alfred is 11. Seriously. Bernie is 19, Christina also is 21.

Oh yeah, there's MS Igloo, sure, but that show most people are pretty much on drugs(don't tell me other wise, You got this guy who claims himself to be a sailor and his grandfather was a real one but by age none of them will likely have seen the real sea, let alone being a sailor. You got these single man driving Salamis that sound horribly like Bōsōzoku. You got these idiotic GMs who wanted to race an enemy instead of shooting it down, and with no reason their machines just exploded because they cannot keep up with the speed. You got that girl with all these illusions that we don't even know if the whole show is just her delusion or not.) and because the director is a right wing fascist.

And no, the palerider does not look like 79SP at all.
79SP has a very distinctive backpack which the Palerider series lacked. Not even the Red rider got that.
Gone through the whole thing, the only place that took from 79SP are the legs, which only 80PR got in resemblance. PR-2 already changed most of that and Red rider doesn't look like that at all.
And even the similarities and their models are only 2 years apart(2012 vs 2014), the legs do not share the same parts in their HG models.
In lore Red rider is modified from a 79FP, not 79SP though.
The upper body and waist armour of the RX-80 are all further from 79SP, which is more inline with the G04/05 family. If you looked at the head and use that to determine whether it looks like 79SP or not, you are only barely better than people calling everything transformers. I mean, the 80PR head is nothing like the 79SP head, and the only resemblance is the visor cover which is also present on 79SC. They can't move down like the 79SP's cover because they are derived from 79FP which is more like added components instead. Similar mechanics was pretty dominant in AOZ which really liked the extended forehead designs.(including its own GM Sniper variant, 79SR, which isn't derived from SC and SP but CR of the C lineage.)
And it would be really silly to look at one single story, take one lineage of MS from it and call everything new is from the 79SP.
Twilight Axis, for example, which also have OYW derived units, AN01 is from NT-1.

I highly recommend you take a look at the actual more recent 79SP varient, the Titans 79SP, from Anaheim Lab logs. in which it has a different visor cover and chest design, and with it standing next to the 4th Palerider, you will see that they are pretty different.
And then we get those MSV-Rs, oh boy, those are from everything other than the 79SP.(No, sadly, the RX-78SP isn't a reverse port of the 79SP to RX-78.)

And I hate TB with a passion, not going to comment on that other than it is just a non-canon piece of junk that the author messed up after messing up his own Moonlight Mile beyond repair and figures it would be fun to mess up a bigger title so people will forget about his own story.
OYW Fan

The last reply reads like a 14 year old on AIM typed a reply, and basically just said "nuh-uh". Again, STOP MISSING the whole OYW only point. Since it's so terribly typed/written, it's not even worth breaking down more than just a few simple retorts.

The Red and Pale Rider both share the legs, arms, shoulders, torsos and skirt of the Sniper II, with minor additions/tweaks to them and a different head. The Red Rider looks nothing like the Stricker, it just takes it's additional armor plating. Look at the black and white line art of the striker without the armor and tell me again how the Red Rider is based off it.

MSV-R is over a decade old now, and it was done by Kunio Okawara, who was the original Gundam mechanical designer, so he's about the only one who hasn't followed along with everyone else with his designs. I like a ton of the designs and only a few I find "bad", but most of them don't have their own story. They are usually just playable additions to games, and aren't usually included in the actual stories. Why don't any of the other artists use the standard GM or even [G] type variations like Blue Destiny did and Origin has tried to do (Though I'm not to keen on those either, put I applaud the effort) in their works, instead of always using 0080 GMs? Heck, they came up with 100% original designs in the 90's and were able to fit them into the OYW mythos, so why can't they try something new like that now? Lastly, the backpacks don't matter in the overall look of the MS. Every 0080 variant had a different backpack, so that's nothing new and I don't factor them in. (No one is ever going to make me believe that 0080's variants weren't an attempt at updating Original Gundam's designs, no matter what the mechanical designer from the series tries to say.) I guarantee if you asked the mechanical designers what MS they were inspired by for these suits, they'd all tell you the Sniper II. I'd put my life on that bet.

As for the ages of characters, anyone 19/20 is an adult. Now do the video games and manga... I'm fine with 18 year olds and up, as long as they aren't drawn in a kawaii or moe style. Give me realistic, or standard only for Gundam.

The other MSV variants have been around, and they aren't making it into stories as the main MSs these days, just side entries...

Yeah Igloo had some terribly written episodes, but the Zudah is a great original design. The first in a long while. All the rest of the series stays true to other previous OYW designs, so I can't complain. I listed all the stories/side stories of the OYW that I enjoy the most, and they all feature adults as the main characters.
MythSearcher

OYW Fan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:18 am The last reply reads like a 14 year old on AIM typed a reply, and basically just said "nuh-uh". Again, STOP MISSING the whole OYW only point. Since it's so terribly typed/written, it's not even worth breaking down more than just a few simple retorts.

The Red and Pale Rider both share the legs, arms, shoulders, torsos and skirt of the Sniper II, with minor additions/tweaks to them and a different head. The Red Rider looks nothing like the Stricker, it just takes it's additional armor plating. Look at the black and white line art of the striker without the armor and tell me again how the Red Rider is based off it.

MSV-R is over a decade old now, and it was done by Kunio Okawara, who was the original Gundam mechanical designer, so he's about the only one who hasn't followed along with everyone else with his designs. I like a ton of the designs and only a few I find "bad", but most of them don't have their own story. They are usually just playable additions to games, and aren't usually included in the actual stories. Why don't any of the other artists use the standard GM or even [G] type variations like Blue Destiny did and Origin has tried to do (Though I'm not to keen on those either, put I applaud the effort) in their works, instead of always using 0080 GMs? Heck, they came up with 100% original designs in the 90's and were able to fit them into the OYW mythos, so why can't they try something new like that now? Lastly, the backpacks don't matter in the overall look of the MS. Every 0080 variant had a different backpack, so that's nothing new and I don't factor them in. (No one is ever going to make me believe that 0080's variants weren't an attempt at updating Original Gundam's designs, no matter what the mechanical designer from the series tries to say.) I guarantee if you asked the mechanical designers what MS they were inspired by for these suits, they'd all tell you the Sniper II. I'd put my life on that bet.

As for the ages of characters, anyone 19/20 is an adult. Now do the video games and manga... I'm fine with 18 year olds and up, as long as they aren't drawn in a kawaii or moe style. Give me realistic, or standard only for Gundam.

The other MSV variants have been around, and they aren't making it into stories as the main MSs these days, just side entries...

Yeah Igloo had some terribly written episodes, but the Zudah is a great original design. The first in a long while. All the rest of the series stays true to other previous OYW designs, so I can't complain. I listed all the stories/side stories of the OYW that I enjoy the most, and they all feature adults as the main characters.
Too bad, because your posts look more like you are just ranting about your own dissatisfaction but have a serious bias and ignore Seto's much more neutral pov,(whom is also very dissatisfied with the franchise at the moment) so no one is treating you very seriously anymore. If anything, you are sounding like a 14 year old with your all caps title.

OYW, right, looks over to the Oggo crew(yes, the official site even called them child soldiers out right), Lalah(14), etc.
Yes, if you have veterans in their early 20s that joined the military a few years ago, it makes sense to have even younger cadets and new recruits.
Also, Japan's adulthood starts at 20, so no, 19 year olds aren't adult in their sense.

You also obviously missed the MSV-R mangas. MSV-R RoJR tried their best to include the MSV-R designs into its story, while it is not happening in OYW, they are at least evaluating OYW MSs.

And no, the paleriders have a different shoulder to the GM sniper II with more of a shoulder pad extension, and the arms are pretty much the generic rectangular arms with an ankle pad for the 79SP, while the paleriders all have some kind of addition to the arm itself with the original 80RP basically using something like a MS-14A arm with a little less curvature.

And your comment about the Striker without the armour is also pretty fun to read. GM Sniper II has essentially the same type of arrangement on the shoulders, main body(chest, waist, with 2 extra shoulder vents which is also found in GM Command, 79GS and 79D) and only different head, hip armour and legs. The arms main difference is just the ankle pads. Most game versions like White Dingo and Shadow unit even did away the ankle pads.

Did you even look at the 79SP or are you in your own fantasy world with a different 79SP in your head?