08th MS team Norris' sensor scan and Minovsky particles

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Delpheus

08th MS team Norris' sensor scan and Minovsky particles

This might seem like an odd question, but like many others I'm designing/playing a Gundam game and translating the lore and what we see in the shows into game rules. Sensors has been bothering me.

Gundam 08th Ms Team Episode 10 @ approx 10:40 minutes Captain Norris makes his famous appearance in his Gouf Custom. Immediately, his first action is to 'scan' the area with the mono-eye of his MS, giving him vital information about the enemies in his immediate proximity.

I've been wondering about MS sensors and this scene in particular for a long time. We know that sensors and optics are, generally speaking, limited to visual range, with some exceptions. We know that sonar works (hover trucks), thermal works, and MS have some kind of motion/proximity detection and alarm. However, Minovsky particles, as I understand, make most sensors useless or distorted.

Norris is able to (apparently) scan with some kind of sensor able to penetrate buildings and bypass line of sight. Not only can he detect beyond the structures, but he also accurately identifies the Federation units surrounding him. What makes this more confusing is this action is rare (unique? - I can only remember this one scene showing this kind of scan), why isn't this done more often by more pilots?

What kind of sensor could do this? Because it doesn't appear to be a visual scan. How did it overcome Minovsky particles and line of sight?

Bonus question, what are the orange triangles on the Gouf's cockpit?
Seto Kaiba

Re: 08th MS team Norris' sensor scan and Minovsky particles

Delpheus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:19 pm I've been wondering about MS sensors and this scene in particular for a long time. We know that sensors and optics are, generally speaking, limited to visual range, with some exceptions. We know that sonar works (hover trucks), thermal works, and MS have some kind of motion/proximity detection and alarm. However, Minovsky particles, as I understand, make most sensors useless or distorted.
It's not quite as severe as all that. The i-field formed by Minovsky particles at combat density create interference for a number of different kinds of sensors, but it doesn't render them useless so much as it does limit their effective ranges based on the intensity of the interference. The intensity of the disruption also depends on where a sensor's emissons fall on the electromagnetic spectrum. The disruptive effect is more pronounced the longer the wavelength is. Civilian radios using the VHF band are more impacted than military radios using higher frequencies in the UHF bands. Radars using SHF are less impacted than that, and so on and so forth up the spectrum to infrared, optical light, ultraviolet, and into ionizing radiation like X-rays and gamma rays.

This is why laser communication is favored in the UC... it's much more resistant to disruption than microwave radio is.

Delpheus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:19 pm Norris is able to (apparently) scan with some kind of sensor able to penetrate buildings and bypass line of sight. Not only can he detect beyond the structures, but he also accurately identifies the Federation units surrounding him. What makes this more confusing is this action is rare (unique? - I can only remember this one scene showing this kind of scan), why isn't this done more often by more pilots?

What kind of sensor could do this? Because it doesn't appear to be a visual scan. How did it overcome Minovsky particles and line of sight?
The compound sensor inside the mono-eye used by the MS-06 Zaku II and MS-07 Gouf contains lensless optical light sensor, a high-precision optical zoom camera, an infrared camera, and a UV-A LIDAR system.

What you're seeing there - or indeed any other time you look at a MS's cockpit displays - is not the output of one single sensor but rather the output of sensor fusion being carried out by the MS's computer. It's taking inputs from all of the different sensors all over the MS's body and using them to compose a single output presented to the pilot to improve situational awareness.

Mind you, Norris's Gouf absolutely did have line of sight on most of the units he identified. We see that right after that scene when Karen takes a potshot at him with a beam rifle, forcing him off the roof. As they were attacking one of the Zeon fortificatons at the time, he may also have had the benefit of access to monitoring equipment in the city, or even simply monitoring the number and type of IFF beacons or active radio transmiters in the area.

Delpheus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:19 pm Bonus question, what are the orange triangles on the Gouf's cockpit?
Paint.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Re: 08th MS team Norris' sensor scan and Minovsky particles

Delpheus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:19 pm This might seem like an odd question, but like many others I'm designing/playing a Gundam game and translating the lore and what we see in the shows into game rules. Sensors has been bothering me.

Gundam 08th Ms Team Episode 10 @ approx 10:40 minutes Captain Norris makes his famous appearance in his Gouf Custom. Immediately, his first action is to 'scan' the area with the mono-eye of his MS, giving him vital information about the enemies in his immediate proximity.

I've been wondering about MS sensors and this scene in particular for a long time. We know that sensors and optics are, generally speaking, limited to visual range, with some exceptions. We know that sonar works (hover trucks), thermal works, and MS have some kind of motion/proximity detection and alarm. However, Minovsky particles, as I understand, make most sensors useless or distorted.

Norris is able to (apparently) scan with some kind of sensor able to penetrate buildings and bypass line of sight. Not only can he detect beyond the structures, but he also accurately identifies the Federation units surrounding him. What makes this more confusing is this action is rare (unique? - I can only remember this one scene showing this kind of scan), why isn't this done more often by more pilots?

Bonus question, what are the orange triangles on the Gouf's cockpit?
Rationalising(my own fan theory) is that they have set up laser communicators and cameras around the place, so he is also receiving a lot of data from those on top of his own visual range.
Since we don't have a lot of battles within city settings we don't know how unique this is, but they have been in the area for so long that setting those up won't be hard and it takes time to get rid of.
Also, Minovsky particles aren't persistently staying there and aren't always that dense, thus infrared sensors(thermo imaging) usually work and even if distorted, it would make sense that the distortion aren't serious enough in closer ranges so computer restoration is possible.

EFF used sensors and data linking extensively before OYW, they know the importance of sensors and data linking, so they will put up as many as possible. I don't see why Zeon will not understand the same thing.

Also, recent(about a year ago) development can likely bypass cloud, smoke, etc. with basically a software restoration:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-18346-3
Yay~ Science! Yay~ Technological advancement!