The Spider Tank?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mafty

The Spider Tank?

So what could be considered the first use of a "Spider" Tank type mech? By Spider Tank I mean something with many legs attached to a central unit(So not really the AT-AT Type), Like the Tachikomas in GITS or pretty much all of the mechs in 86. The earliest example I can think of appeared in Project A-ko (as cool looking literal spider tanks). So would that be the first appearance of that type of mech? Or were variations seen earlier?
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Spider Tank?

The oldest example I can think of offhand is Cyborg 0011 from the original Cyborg 009 manga from the 60's.

If you don't want to count Cyborg 0011 on the grounds that he's a cyborg and not actually a vehicle you can ride in, then maybe the Desert Gunner from Fang of the Sun Dougram?

The Martian tripods from War of the Worlds are probably the ur-example.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
yazi88

Patlabor had it too with the multi-legged military labors.

Dominion Tank Police had a spider-tank too but that is a similar thing to Ghost in the Shell given its a Masamune Shiro work too.
Kuruni

You can see a giant ant robot in Gatchaman OP.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:54 pm So what could be considered the first use of a "Spider" Tank type mech? By Spider Tank I mean something with many legs attached to a central unit(So not really the AT-AT Type), Like the Tachikomas in GITS or pretty much all of the mechs in 86. The earliest example I can think of appeared in Project A-ko (as cool looking literal spider tanks). So would that be the first appearance of that type of mech? Or were variations seen earlier?
Tachikomas and mecha in 86 technically have the same number of legs to AT-AT (4). Tachicomas kinda have a 5th one at the back.

I guess what you are talking about is the more spider leg structure, where the thigh(?) first extended up, then the calf comes back down. (In which the AT-AT is just straight down)

But you can basically just look at TV tropes example list and check the release dates of those titles.
Pretty sure Gundam(Adzam) and Akira examples are earlier than Project A-ko.