Nomenclature with Weapons on a Ship (UC)

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
MythSearcher

Re: Nomenclature with Weapons on a Ship (UC)

Deacon Blues wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:48 pm You rely entirely too much on Gundam Officials and have to realize that a lot of publications and materials have overridden this over the years (hell, even the mini Gundam Encyclopedia has). That book isn't the be-all end-all for material.
I am using it for things not stated in other places(at least not that I'm aware of.), for things that it does not contradict with other materials and when other materials conflict with each other and you have no other reasonably official interpretation and this is called the Gundam Officials afterall.

As you can see, I discredit it when it does not make sense, in the exact same post you quoted me in.

It is a very bad idea to dismiss old material just because new material have not restated it. And also, like I said, I do not have confidence in this being in Gundam Officials, just that I remember reading it, and also made the comment about it not going to make too much of a difference.
Deacon Blues

MythSearcher wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:44 pm It is a very bad idea to dismiss old material just because new material have not restated it. And also, like I said, I do not have confidence in this being in Gundam Officials, just that I remember reading it, and also made the comment about it not going to make too much of a difference.
We shouldn't dismiss old stuff? Well then, we better start letting everyone know that the Oldsmobile RF-series of mobile suits are nothing more than Jegans and Geara Doga with the exterior armor swapped for the Zeon-style... Since, ya know, that's what "old" material says. Or how about those bloated Zaku production numbers... or the wrong name for the Pegasus in the setting artwork for 0080 before it came out... :roll:

But, again, you can't keep going to Gundam Officials for every damn thing! I mean, just look at the citations for Gundam entries on the wiki. Very few citation points come from the encyclopedia, which goes to show that even they hate relying on it 100%. Besides, the book only covers 0079-0083 anyways, so it's a terrible indication.
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:59 am We shouldn't dismiss old stuff? Well then, we better start letting everyone know that the Oldsmobile RF-series of mobile suits are nothing more than Jegans and Geara Doga with the exterior armor swapped for the Zeon-style... Since, ya know, that's what "old" material says. Or how about those bloated Zaku production numbers... or the wrong name for the Pegasus in the setting artwork for 0080 before it came out... :roll:

But, again, you can't keep going to Gundam Officials for every damn thing! I mean, just look at the citations for Gundam entries on the wiki. Very few citation points come from the encyclopedia, which goes to show that even they hate relying on it 100%. Besides, the book only covers 0079-0083 anyways, so it's a terrible indication.
I guess you have to learn how to read a sentence. You seem to have completely ignore the second half of my sentence.
If you can find any other source about what I said, feel free to quote that. I don't see why on Earth I cannot quote Gundam Officials when I do not know of any other source have said that particular paragraph you quoted AND I only quoted the book about the discrepancies it has in this particular thread.

Very few citation points come from that book because it is a 15000yen book and only in Japanese. Obviously a book with less circulation will be quoted less and hardly show any relation about how people other than you hate it.
Deacon Blues

MythSearcher wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:17 am I guess you have to learn how to read a sentence. You seem to have completely ignore the second half of my sentence.
If you can find any other source about what I said, feel free to quote that. I don't see why on Earth I cannot quote Gundam Officials when I do not know of any other source have said that particular paragraph you quoted AND I only quoted the book about the discrepancies it has in this particular thread.

Very few citation points come from that book because it is a 15000yen book and only in Japanese. Obviously a book with less circulation will be quoted less and hardly show any relation about how people other than you hate it.
I get the impression that you don't have a very vast library of material to draw from, which is probably why you decide to reach for this book first every time. You can find scanlated versions of other material online quite easily, you know that, right? Combine that with a little easy Googling and you'll find that some people have even made mini indexes of what exactly appears in the books/material so you can look up stuff quickly and easily. So I guess that begs the question of how you can discredit it if it doesn't make sense? That at least implies you'd have to have other sources to draw from?

I mean, to be fair, Gundam Officials only has a limited number of publications it cobbles together its information from. It's only parroted information that has existed prior to 2000 anyways, and still only draws on stuff from the late 80s. It's a good starting point, but I do have a suggestion. You can use the Japanese Wikipedia entries to springboard into much more recent sources of information. Their hesitation in doing so doesn't stem from the fact that it was an expensive book (I've seen 9th edition reprints, and you can buy it for as little as 1800 yen on Mandarake), I think it comes down to tracking down the original source that GO cites.
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:56 pm I get the impression that you don't have a very vast library of material to draw from, which is probably why you decide to reach for this book first every time. You can find scanlated versions of other material online quite easily, you know that, right? Combine that with a little easy Googling and you'll find that some people have even made mini indexes of what exactly appears in the books/material so you can look up stuff quickly and easily. So I guess that begs the question of how you can discredit it if it doesn't make sense? That at least implies you'd have to have other sources to draw from?

I mean, to be fair, Gundam Officials only has a limited number of publications it cobbles together its information from. It's only parroted information that has existed prior to 2000 anyways, and still only draws on stuff from the late 80s. It's a good starting point, but I do have a suggestion. You can use the Japanese Wikipedia entries to springboard into much more recent sources of information. Their hesitation in doing so doesn't stem from the fact that it was an expensive book (I've seen 9th edition reprints, and you can buy it for as little as 1800 yen on Mandarake), I think it comes down to tracking down the original source that GO cites.
I have been citing various other sources constantly, like the Rapport deluxe books, the Enterbrain MS Encyclopedia pack, the model manuals, B Club, Bandai Channel's MS videos etc.
And yes, I have also quoted a lot of the Japanese wikipedia sources as well as the cre Gundam and SRW wiki, especially I don't bring Gundam Officials nor any of those above physical sources to work.
And I am quoting Gundam Officials more because it is the most extensive database to date, and it is called Gundam Officials so I put it as the top source to draw from.(and it also happens to be right in front of me along with those other sources I have listed.)
I discredit it when it does not make sense, like contradicting itself, which I just mentioned earlier in this post. If you contradict yourself, you don't make sense, I don't have to draw from any other material to discredit that because that is simple logic. You make no sense when you claim a type of gun isn't reliable but every major ship of the line has only that type of gun installed as their main weapon, how on Earth can that make sense?