Stock on beam rifles?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

Stock on beam rifles?

AOZ just dropped the Gelgoog III. It's not my thing (I never like all the ridges they have on AOC designs, especially when they are applied to a "rounded and smooth" machine like the Gelgoog Jaeger), but there is an interesting detail: The beam rifle has an adjustable stock, which is not the first time--there is a variant of the Zaku II machine gun with a M4-like stock. It makes me wonder: How important is the stock on beam rifles? They still have recoil, but then again we've seen so many beam rifles that function just fine without being neither ergonomic or when fired from the hip. Even beam machine guns with their high rate of fire don't need a stock. And, if you're arguing about the accuracy of the rifles, then unlike the rifles we use, mobile suits don't need to level the rifles to their eyesight and aim down the barrel. Beam rifles all have their own built-in sensors which transfer aiming data back and forth to the MS.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Stock on beam rifles?

Gelgoog III eh....I guess with the J in the model number and the thumbnail of the ReGelgu they consider that a substantial enough upgrade to have counted as the "Gelgoog II" so to speak.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
MythSearcher

False Prophet wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:27 pm AOZ just dropped the Gelgoog III. It's not my thing (I never like all the ridges they have on AOC designs, especially when they are applied to a "rounded and smooth" machine like the Gelgoog Jaeger), but there is an interesting detail: The beam rifle has an adjustable stock, which is not the first time--there is a variant of the Zaku II machine gun with a M4-like stock. It makes me wonder: How important is the stock on beam rifles? They still have recoil, but then again we've seen so many beam rifles that function just fine without being neither ergonomic or when fired from the hip. Even beam machine guns with their high rate of fire don't need a stock. And, if you're arguing about the accuracy of the rifles, then unlike the rifles we use, mobile suits don't need to level the rifles to their eyesight and aim down the barrel. Beam rifles all have their own built-in sensors which transfer aiming data back and forth to the MS.
Well, you still see some MS level their eye sights to eye level of the MS while shooting, especially for sniping(Amuro also did that).
I try to rationalise that as speeding up the aiming process for far away targets, while you can effectively has the same aperture of a larger lens if you have the sensors as far as possible to each other(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomi ... rferometer), it is easier and faster to compare the images that are close to each other.
Underrated GM Custom

When it comes to folding stocks they can be useful for bracing, or to rapidly traverse a weapon. I was trying to remember if we ever see any Gelgoog variants fire their weapons with two hands. I rewatched the 0080 space battle scene, then the Gelgoog J is first introduced it takes out a GM Command Space one armed then there is a brief scene right before Bernie pulls into the colony where if you squint you can see the Jaeger firing its weapon with both arms on the weapon. (It's also the first time I noticed a GM Command Space using a bullpup). As I recall Cima's Gelgoog Marine also fires with two hands in a few scenes.

As for accuracy, most units fire with one arm since the other is holding a shield. Although now that I think about it, I don't recall too many units without shields using both hands. I don't recall the Asshimar or The O using two hands, perhaps they are sturdy enough they don't need the extra recoil compensation from using a second arm. The ones you often see using two hands are Sniper Types, Guncannons, and units with shoulder mounted shields (like the Zaku and Marasai).

I'm also surprised they called it the Gelgoog III. I guess they consider the Regelgu a Gelgoog II? Well I suppose the gap between the Gelgoog and Regelgu is larger than the Rick Dom and Rick Dom II.
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:03 pm I'm also surprised they called it the Gelgoog III. I guess they consider the Regelgu a Gelgoog II? Well I suppose the gap between the Gelgoog and Regelgu is larger than the Rick Dom and Rick Dom II.
Always remember they don't necessarily give you all of the numbers.
RX-76 was retconned as prototype Ball, but was never there in the original V Project when airing.
Gundam Mk-IV was also only retconned in G-Gen games.
Remember the joke about how a bunch of students took three pigs, paint numbers 1,2,4 on them and release them into the campus, the school took half an hour to catch all three of them and half a day searching for the missing number 3? (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/billy-goats-bluff/)
And there is the German tank problem. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_tank_problem)
I know I like to have a complete set, so I constantly remind myself don't try to find things that may not exist.

If anything, the Gelgoog J is more comparable as II if you pick Rick Dom and Rick Dom II as an example, but I guess that is also hardly really telling you anything if you consider Zaku and Zaku II or real life fighters Lightning(P-38) and Lightning II(F-35).