How much damage could 60mm vulcan guns could actually do?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Seto Kaiba

Re: How much damage could 60mm vulcan guns could actually do?

Incidentally, I found some contemporary official art for F91 that shows the cannons in the titular Gundam's head are rotary cannons... Bandai Entertainment Bible 35, published 20 June 1991.

There are two beautiful cutaways on that page even showing where and how the guns are mounted.

EDIT: Also in Dengeki Data Collection 2: Mobile Suit Gundam page 56 has a diagram showing the RX-78's head with a rotary cannon arrangement.

EDIT2: Also in MS Historica Vol.1 on pages 9 and 10, MS Historica Vol.4 page 6.

EDIT3: Also MS Historica Vol.6 page 7.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Re: How much damage could 60mm vulcan guns could actually do?

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:35 pm
There is actually a moderate amount of room for size reduction as a result of technological improvement... the exemplars of real-world rotary cannons are mainly mechanically or hydraulically driven. Master Archive asserts that the ones used on Mobile Suits are driven by a direct current electric motor.
Looking at the cutout of the GAU-8/A, I really doubt that.
The ammo storage is mainly a mechanical part pushing the rounds out one by one and making sure they align. I guess you can use a chain mechanism to overcome that?
If we go by the anime loading scene of RX-78, they somehow load a rectangular magazine into the head for the vulcan.

Measuring from the line art, the total height of the Gundam's head from the base of the neck to the crown of the primary camera is almost exactly 260cm. Using that to approximately the inner diameter of the gun port off the Master Archive art? 39cm+. More than sufficient space for the 60mm 3-barrel rotary cannon even by your own estimation.
Let's also look at these:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gundam/comment ... the_rx782/

That hole looks suspiciously small and can maybe fit a soda can, not 39cm+.
Not even the yellow parts' outer diameter looks to have 39cm+?

https://sgcafe.com/2017/03/started-dism ... am-odaiba/
There is a scene with workers closer to another 1/1 Gundam head. The vulcan part is definitely smaller than the head of a human, and that is around 30cm. A standard size construction helmet is about 20cm in diameter.

39cm and 43.7cm is only around 10% difference, and the GAU-8/A part in front of the magazine drum is surely much larger than that yellow part on the 1/1 Gundam heads?

And since those heads aren't specifically small(both are based pretty accurate if we compare to official arts of other designs from the models), and the vulcan aren't specifically small(both depict pretty closely in scale as the pictures) That surely is more accurate than our estimation from reverse calculation from measuring a smaller picture?

https://truth.bahamut.com.tw/s01/202107 ... 68b9d4.JPG
Here is a comparison of the art work.
From the Left: Okawara, Katoki, Katoki 2009, SD, MS Girl(Akitaka), Morishita and a green dot depicting 60mm.
The blue circles are all the same, depicting 2.6m, the red circles depicts 39cm.
Notice I have already ignored the main camera, if I use the total height of the head including the main camera, it will only be even smaller.
None of them fits through the hole for the vulcan like Master Archive's picture does.
The Katoki design looks like it is closest to the red circle, but remember that picture has a big thick yellow part rendering the hole also only half of the diameter.

You can have it offset like they have shown here:
https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/File:RX- ... Design.jpg

But the MA picture doesn't look like it was offset to the side.

... and I would, to be completely honest, have expected the same. We would both be wrong, though.

By what I'm sure is sheer coincidence, the amount of time elapsed between the time Amuro started firing and the time he's shown to have run out of ammo is almost exactly 14 seconds. From 19:09 to 19:23 in the episode.
Ok, 14s feels a lot longer than expected.

The base model RX-79 doesn't have head-mounted vulcan cannons. Its chest-mounted vulcan cannon is noted to be a smaller caliber than the standard, but is not specifically identified AFAIK. The one on the Ez8 version IS 12.7mm, and it's possible the base model takes the same ammo. The head vulcans that were fitted to the Ez8 type are a far smaller caliber (35mm) than is standard as well and they also have an unconventional mounting.
Yes, the base model doesn't, but there is at least a variant that do, stated in the MG manual. I do wonder if that is talking about the Ez8 or a version where the Ez8 got its head from.
Considering how BD-2 and 3 both have head vulcans, it may not be too uncommon.(Ok, granted the GM[G] head BD-1 used also have vulcan installed, it might just be the obsession of the developer, and these look like they are strapped on the outside of the head)
BTW, the BD's have 60mm chest vulcans, so the chest vulcan also have different calibres.
So, all in all, I don't think that is a valid argument against Master Archive and the Gundam Museum's position.
I am just saying how that picture doesn't look like it fits into what is normally depicted. I do not have a problem if it is offset like the MS Setting design picture depicted(not all of the barrels fit in that hole)
But still, I like the liquid explosives mechanism explanation better, yet the gatling setting is cooler.
Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:40 pm Incidentally, I found some contemporary official art for F91 that shows the cannons in the titular Gundam's head are rotary cannons... Bandai Entertainment Bible 35, published 20 June 1991.
Look, I don't have a problem about it being a rotary cannon, you just have to put it right and not in the centre of that hole.

In fact, most of the artwork of cutouts are rotary cannons. Like I said, it just looks cooler that way.(and more like what people think of as larger calibre machine guns)