Obscure Gundam Wing Weaponry & Equipment

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
DragoMaster009

Re: Obscure Gundam Wing Weaponry & Equipment

Huh, out of idle curiosity, did either SRW or G Generation use any of the new weapons for any entries featuring Double X?
Kuruni

AFAIK, nope.
My girlfriend was a loli.
PowerdGNFlag

As another angle for the Beam Vulcan mystery, I tried to check YouTube for SRW/SDGG footage of the Wing Vulcan in action, and the ones I found consistently put them in the shield, with the earliest I can find being for Super Robot Wars D from 2003. SD Gundam GGen CrossRays, since it has Wing Zero TV and Proto Zero as separate units, showed that the Beam Vulcans for both were in the same position.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
DragoMaster009

I have to admit that there are times that toy-only gimmicks are pretty interesting. Take the latest MG Alex for instance: Not only does it get a sensor mask, but both the shield and the forearm Chobam Armor can open up so that the forearm gatling guns aren't blocked off like in canon.
Underrated GM Custom

I can't imagine Double X using a Gundam Hammer with that delicate machinery on its back. I wonder if they included all those extras since they're classic Gundam weapons so they wanted the kids who bought the kid the chance to equip DX with that stuff. Is the Twin Beam sword was 2 Swords or a double saber like you see on Freedom?

So the Leopard is holding a heat axe then? Interesting, usually that green effect is reserved for beam sabers. It looks pretty goofy with the G-Falcon connected, Airmaster looks pretty good with it on the other hand.
PowerdGNFlag

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 pm I can't imagine Double X using a Gundam Hammer with that delicate machinery on its back. I wonder if they included all those extras since they're classic Gundam weapons so they wanted the kids who bought the kid the chance to equip DX with that stuff. Is the Twin Beam sword was 2 Swords or a double saber like you see on Freedom?
If you looked at the pictures the Twin Beam Sword is one hilt that has beam blades coming out of each end, though it reuses the beam effect parts used for the DX's normal beam sabers.
Underrated GM Custom

Ah okay, thanks for sharing.

I'm a big fan of double sabers, I've always loved the Gelgoog's beam naginata and later the Dijeh. With DX and also the Freedom they always seem like a liability since if the pilot isn't careful they could easily slice their wings off.
Arsarcana

As I mentioned earlier, the Virsago also got an extra weapon, one shown on the box art even.
PowerdGNFlag wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:57 am If you looked at the pictures the Twin Beam Sword is one hilt that has beam blades coming out of each end, though it reuses the beam effect parts used for the DX's normal beam sabers.
Adding to this, because it shares the beam effect parts you need a second kit or scratchbuilding if you want to pose it with that and one of the regular beam sabers at the same time.
PowerdGNFlag

Arsarcana wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:31 pm As I mentioned earlier, the Virsago also got an extra weapon, one shown on the box art even.
I didn't include the Virsago's Strike Shooters because they actually made it into the anime (in Episode 21 specifically, doing what the Frost brothers do best). This is also the episode where we also see the Ashtaron's Beam Spear for the first (and only) time. Though the timing of the weapon's appearance in the anime in relation to the 1/100's release (both were released August of 1996) makes me think that there's some synergy at play here.

If you want some Strike Shooter-related mysteries, then consider the mystery of where the Virsago Chest Break's Strike Shooter design came from. It has appeared as part of the CB's loadout in several games (particularly in the Extreme Vs. games; GGen doesn't exactly add this to CB's attacks) and they are included as accessories for its Robot Spirits figure.
Arsarcana

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:20 amI didn't include the Virsago's Strike Shooters because they actually made it into the anime (in Episode 21 specifically, doing what the Frost brothers do best).
Well then, that tells me I need to rewatch X sooner rather than later because I totally forgot it appeared.
Underrated GM Custom

I'm in the same boat, I completely forgot about the Strike Shooters and the Beam Spear. I've been eyeing the Bluray releases on rightstuff and it looks like it is half off currently.
Underrated GM Custom

Here's a question on Wing on X. Was there ever a reason given for why they decided to name X's beam rifle a "Shield Buster Rifle" ?

I've always wondered on that one, since X wasn't too far off from Wing and the Buster rifle in Wing is very iconic so it seemed like an odd choice to call it that when they function extremely differently. X was actually my second Gunpla kit back in the 2000s, but unfortunately I no longer have the box or the manual just the figure.
Arsarcana

It's not just the GX, the Airmaster (Burst)'s rifles and the DX's rifle are also referred to as 'Buster Rifles'. The later 1.5 and Reborns Gundams from 00 use it too, though at least those are noticeably more powerful than 'standard' beam rifles, if nowhere near the level of hax as the Wing weapon.

I'm not sure if I still have the 1/100 Airmaster or Double X manuals to see if they have anything to say on the topic. A quick check of Gundam Wiki and the latter's page says the DX rifle is several times stronger than a standard one but it doesn't cite a source.
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:18 pm
I've always wondered on that one, since X wasn't too far off from Wing and the Buster rifle in Wing is very iconic so it seemed like an odd choice to call it that when they function extremely differently. X was actually my second Gunpla kit back in the 2000s, but unfortunately I no longer have the box or the manual just the figure.
Off topic. My first Gunpla kit is likely a BB senshi model back in 1987, can't remember which model, but there's only 6 BB senshi at the time, I have only built an RX-78 in 2003 and I only got a Zeta and Dom later, the only possible choice is ZZ, Char's Zaku, Dreissen, which I most definitely no longer own, and my second one wouldn't be much later than that, likely RX-93 or Gelgoog, and oh, I own both of these, just don't know which is the 2nd, I know I later got a Dom and then a Z+, all of the SD senshi models, but after that I completely lost track because there are just too many, I do remember getting Ganzo SD Qubeley and Macross's VF-1J later though.(Gunpla is already common back then in HK, Mini 4WD as well) Notice I got quite a lot of enemy units, not because I like them, but because the Gundams are usually marked way up and parents surely won't pay for them.
I know I never owned Zeta model before MG, but I do have the original Gundam Mk-II model but that was in the early 90's, and that is likely my first non-SD gunpla. I don't have any of these left.
PowerdGNFlag

Arsarcana wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:28 pm It's not just the GX, the Airmaster (Burst)'s rifles and the DX's rifle are also referred to as 'Buster Rifles'. The later 1.5 and Reborns Gundams from 00 use it too, though at least those are noticeably more powerful than 'standard' beam rifles, if nowhere near the level of hax as the Wing weapon.

I'm not sure if I still have the 1/100 Airmaster or Double X manuals to see if they have anything to say on the topic. A quick check of Gundam Wiki and the latter's page says the DX rifle is several times stronger than a standard one but it doesn't cite a source.
The various Gunpla manuals for both the X/DX and the Airmasters (i.e the 1/144, 1/100, HGAWs and the MGs) have been pretty consistent about them being several times more powerful than other contemporary beam weapons. Some particulars:
  • The GX's Shield Buster Rifle has been said to be three times more powerful both offensively and defensively, and it can charge by being plugged to the bottom of the Satellite System.
  • The DX's Exclusive Buster Rifle emphasizes its light weight and ease of maintenance, all the while still being more powerful than contemporary beam weapons.
  • The Airmaster's (and by extension the Airmaster Burst's) Buster Rifles on the other hand are made from the same Luna Titanium as the Gundam's armor, making it weigh half as much as a normal beam rifle while being no less powerful and allowing it to carry two at once.
Underrated GM Custom

Those are some interesting tidbits.

I hadn't thought about rifle weight before but with the Airmaster having atmospheric flight it would be quite important. Also interesting that in the X continuity Luna Titanium is half the weight of materials normally used in BR construction.

For the GX it mentions it can be charged by being plugged into the satellite system does that mean it's an E-Cap or similar technology?

Manuals mentioning a weapon being # times stronger have always intrigued me. Since most beam weapons tend to go directly through a suit on a direct hit (with a few exceptions of course) I always wondered what the point of a much more powerful beam would be. Then I remember that MS also have an anti-ship role so having a beam rifle 3x as powerful would be a lot more devastating when you're firing into a ship and hoping to puncture through several layers of armor / bulkheads. Plus, more powerful beams can travel farther before they dissipate which always helps.