Unusual Shields

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Underrated GM Custom

Unusual Shields

Related to the impractical melee weapon thread I thought it would be fun to discuss the unusual shields that show up in Mecha Anime along with their intended purpose and potential drawbacks. I'll be listing a few shields from Gundam below but feel free to add examples from other series as well.

Zaku Series - Shoulder Shield
Purpose: A shield mounted on the right arm it can protect the firing arm of the mobile suit from flanking enemy fire.
Quirks: Occasionally used for ramming, sometimes they have large impractical spikes on them.
Drawbacks: Lighter than a full body shield this style shield typically only protects the arm and from only one direction of fire.

Marasai - Shoulder Shield
Purpose: An evolution of the shoulder shield, this one also rises above the shoulder and protects the head.
Drawbacks: Same as above, however, we do see one in Gundam Evolve use this shield twist its arm and block an incoming shot from a Nemo beam rifle.

Gelgoog Marine - Knuckle Shield
Purpose: A forward facing shield that doubles as a...punching weapon?
Drawbacks: Relatively small shield that doesn't cover too much of the body but when moving through space you can try to minimize your target profile when making an attack run.
Variants: Also used by the Zaku I Commander & the Zudah which has folding spikes

Gyan - Custom Shield
Purpose: A shield for the fencing mobile suit, this shield also sports 50+ launchers that fire needle-like missiles that are relatively minor in power but useful for distractions or applying pressure. It can also store 'hide bombs' to set up traps and diversion.
Drawbacks: Typically storing explosives in a shield that will be used to block plasma isn't the wisest idea. Presumably the Gyan's shield also has the beam resist coating treatment the Gelgoog received. We can also press the I-believe-button on whatever explosives used in the missiles are an extremely non-volatile super-stable PETN that will not go off when ignited or hit by plasma.
Variants: This shield is also used by the Galbady Alpha High Mobility type & the Royal Guard Rick Dom. Non-missile version of this shield are is used by the Gyan Eos. The Shield of the Palace Athene is also quite similar.

GM Guard Custom - Guardian Shield
Purpose: Sporting a massive composite shield with built in vulcans this variant of the GM Sniper Custom focused on defense.
Drawbacks: Due to the unwieldy nature of the heavy shield it was typically assigned to very skilled pilots.

Gundam GP02 Physalis - NR-Sh-02-RX/S-00013 Shield
Purpose: A heavy duty large shield with built in cooling system that would withstand the thermal shock and radiation of a nuclear strike. It also stored the barrel for the atomic bazooka.
Drawbacks: A pinpoint attack could strike the cooling system of the shield as demonstrated by Gundam GP01 Zephyranthes.

G-Line Assault Armor - Assault Shield
Purpose: A shield with a claw at the bottom, its intended purpose is to allow the suit to defend then pivot to offense.
Drawback: Inherent difficulties blocking while also having the claw portion pointed at the enemy.
Variants: A claw-shield is also seen used by the Bolinoak Sammahn.

Gaplant - Shield Binder / Shield Booster
Purpose: It's a shield with a beam weapon inside of it. These movable shields also free up the hands for use.
Drawbacks: Since shields are often in the way of megaparticle beams and beam sabers putting the primary weaponry inside the shield may result in that weaponry having a higher chance of being damaged or disabled.

Zeta Gundam - Shield
Purpose: A slimmer shield than other Gundam's this shield is also becomes the nose-cone when Zeta gundam transforms. Being arm mounted it frees up the hand for other uses.
Drawback: The shield has a smaller surface area, additionally it is arm mounted so if that hand is being used to brace a weapon then the shield will be pointing off to the left and providing protection in that area, similar to a shoulder-shield.
Variants: A similar style shield is seen on the Baund Doc which also houses a diffuse mega particle cannon.
Arsarcana

Re: Unusual Shields

If we're talking impractical shields and Gundam, the first thing that springs to my mind is the shield of the Mercurius from Gundam Wing with its integrated beam saber. Since that suit has another defensive system, the shield itself is almost superfluous but I suppose the nubs on it would make it a decent punching weapon if the saber ever failed.

On an even more extreme case, the 'Trikeros' shield of the Blitz Gundam and later the Gold Frame which combines virtually all of the original suit's weapons into the same object that's designed to take the brunt of enemy fire.

On the slightly more practical side of that equation is the Gundam X's Shield Rifle, which features armored plates on the sides of the rifle (that grant some protection in return for making it heavier) which can fold up into a shield with the rifle barrel retracting so it's not exposed. It's more like a defensive option than a primary shield and the later X Divider and Double X instead opt for dedicated shields and separate rifles.

Oh yes, and there's the Divider Shield, which has a huge number of beam guns and thrusters equipped to it, so in addition to its defensive role it can function as the Gundam's biggest stick or can be attached to the backpack for extra thrust.

Might as well finish off by being topical with the Odysseus Gundam/Penelope's pair of shields, which each mount an integrated beam saber, mega particle cannon and a bunch of small missiles, and they're mounted to the arms so the hands remain free.
Underrated GM Custom

Arsarcana wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:09 pm If we're talking impractical shields and Gundam,
Oh the shields can be practical or impractical just as long as they are unique or unusual.

The Mercurius is an interesting case, I had forgotten the Mercurius had a beam saber built into it's crash shield and that the crash shield did anything since it already has the force field made form the planetary defensors which were strong enough to block the Vayeates large beam cannon. My wife and I rewatched Gundam Wing back in May and I was surprised when the Wing Zero showed up since the Crash Shield was actually very important. After the Twin Buster Rifle blows through the shield the Crash-shield takes the shot and presumably saves the Mercurius. Quite a sturdy, yet tiny shield.

Seed certainly had some very unique designs, the Blitz shield is certainly one of them. I always wished we saw more of those giant harpoons the shield carried, but putting all your weapons in one egg basket can be pretty problematic. Shields with their anti-beam coating due tend to be alot more durable in the CE universe from what I recall.

Gundam X has my favorite premise out of all the AUs, but man I had forgotten how impractical the Shield Rifle is. It's a neat gimmick but I would always ask myself 'What's the point?' A shield/rifle keeps the other hand free but that hand frequently wasn't used. Plus it was blocking with it's primary weapon, so hopefully the shield portions are indestructible otherwise you lose two in one.

X-Divider is a lot of fun, easily in my top 3 of favorite suits. I really like the scrappy underdog where the mid-season upgrade is the best they can put together from salvaged parts in this post apocalyptic world. The shield itself was strapped full of features, I wonder if the shield came from an experimental MS. Now that I think about I don't think we see any other suits that have thrusters on the Shield, at least in animated works.
Kuruni

Note that in Under the Moonlight manga, they basically just made the shield and rifle separable.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Arsarcana wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:09 pm If we're talking impractical shields and Gundam, the first thing that springs to my mind is the shield of the Mercurius from Gundam Wing with its integrated beam saber. Since that suit has another defensive system, the shield itself is almost superfluous but I suppose the nubs on it would make it a decent punching weapon if the saber ever failed.
Well, it was supposed to be integrated with the same system as the Planet Defencors and I recall it being used in conjunction with the PDs to block WZ's twin rifle fire. So it is not really that impractical given the fact that there are weapons that can puncture the PDs.
Underrated GM Custom

Kuruni wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:28 am Note that in Under the Moonlight manga, they basically just made the shield and rifle separable.
That one's been on my reading list for a long time, I'm interested to see how they pull that off.
Dark Duel

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:37 am I'm interested to see how they pull that off.
It's pretty simple, really. The shield has a compartment on its underside, which stores the rifle. it's illustrated in the bottom right image here.
The beam saber is also stored on the back of the beam rifle. It's been a few years since I read any of UTM, but I do not recall the rifle ever being fired while stored in the shield.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mafty

I'm not sure how unusual this is but, the Jagd Doga's shield. It has four beam cannons built into it, and its sturdy enough on its own that Gyunei uses the tip to destroy a Jeagan. The impractical part of having a beam equipped shield is shown when Gyunei's shield is blasted by Amuro's gun(with Gyunei narrowly escaping), it explodes spectacularly due to the energy within it.
yazi88

IBO Gundams and some units had strange Knuckle Guard shields. Gusion Rebake and Full City had them along with its really thick shield, especially the latter which functioned as giant scissors.
Kuruni

IBO actually show shield scissors' pro and con pretty well. The con is that it take time to crush the captured enemy (thank to IBO's MS high toughness), it give Galan just enough time to activate self-destruct system. The pro are 1. it take time to crush the captured enemy, which allow a Dawn Horizon pirate to surrender; so it would be a great weapon if you don't want to oitright kill the opponent. And 2. as seen on Galan and Iok, it's incredibly satisfying weapon to watch in action.
Underrated GM Custom

Dark Duel wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:46 am It's pretty simple, really. The shield has a compartment on its underside, which stores the rifle. it's illustrated in the bottom right image here.
The beam saber is also stored on the back of the beam rifle. It's been a few years since I read any of UTM, but I do not recall the rifle ever being fired while stored in the shield.
Unfortunately that link wasn't working for me, but I deleted everything after the jpg and this one works fine: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gunda ... eapons.jpg

Looks like the shield is much larger in Under the Moonlight compared to the original. Lot more reasonable!

Y'know I had completely forgotten about the Jagd Doga shield. I suppose it's similar to the Gyan's but updated for beam weaponry. Weapons inside are always an interesting predicament. On one hand you're sacrficing space which would otherwise be material that would aid in protection. On the other hand blocking with a shield that can also fire four beams directly into the opponent is quite the surprise weapon.

The IBO scissor shield was immensely satisfying. Certainly more than we see with the Bolinoak Sammahn's vice grip shield.
yazi88

Also helps that the Full City's scissor shield is really thick too, so it can stop blunt attacks outright.
Kuruni

Not really that exotic, but Le Cygne's shield (from Ecole du Ciel) has thrusters for attitude control, and built-in sensors that can be used when spying behind cover.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:58 am Not really that exotic, but Le Cygne's shield (from Ecole du Ciel) has thrusters for attitude control, and built-in sensors that can be used when spying behind cover.
The sensors makes so much sense.
CCDs aren't expensive nowadays, and probably won't be expensive even with some lens and auto focusing capabilities in UC. Will be much better than blocking the sight of the MS.

Thrusters are a bit too much though. If thrusters are so cheap, they should be adding more on the MS.
Underrated GM Custom

I'm surprised the Thrusters would be used for altitude control. For Thrusters on a shield I'd expect it to offer greater straight-line acceleration like the GX-Divider. Of course thrusters in shields require propellant and now we're back to the problem of a potential combustible item in your primary blocking device.

The Shield Camera is a brilliant idea. I imagine there's an optical cable running along the MS Arm that connects when the hand grips the shield similar to what we see in 08th MS Team when the power connector in the hand grips the weapon.
Underrated GM Custom

Two more Unusual Shields to add to the list. The first is Wing Zero's shield courtesy of PoweredGNFlag. WZ Shield has a hydraulic or pneumatic component that allows the tip to drive through another MS.
Wing Shield & Wing Vulcan
An anti-beam coating shield that can be used as an offensive weapon. It has a gimmick that allows the pointed tip to be extended, making it possible to pierce the armor of the MS. It is also equipped with a Vulcan that can be used in Neo Bird Mode.
The 2nd one I'd like to add to the Unusual Shield list I noticed when I was reading over the Gustav Karl's profile over at Zeonic and noticed the Flexible Shield. The Flexible Shield is also used on the Jesta's. From what I gather the flexible part of the Shield means it can rotate from back to front which can allow protection for the rear or the armor, side or front, and also swivel out of the way when the MS may want to use that arm and not have a Shield in the way.

Certainly a reasonable concept. The Jesta's have a tactical slant to their design and being able to hold the rifle in two-hands similar to what you'd see with a GM Sniper Custom with an R4 Type Beam Rifle has it's advantages. I was surprised that the Gustav Karl also has one. It uses the Jegan's beam rifle which is rather stubby so I didn't think it would two hand it. Additionally if the Shield needs to rotate that is a considerable disadvantage since the speed of a beam should be considerably faster than whatever mechanism is rotating the shield.

Does anyone have any additional information on the Flexible Shields? Aside from being a neat gimmick to sell toys I'm curious if there's any other intended purpose or advantage for these that I may be missing.
Kuruni

It's suppose to be grand-grand-grand-grabdfather of Catsiths shield in G-Reco. IIRC, it's less about leaving both arms free and nore about widen the range of shield coverage. You can't cover your right side or your back with the shield on left arm.

Also, I think defense rod from 00 worth a mentioned. It's basically a lightweight 'shield" that's as good for defense against light attack but possibly useless against heavt strike.
Arsarcana

Actually, I suppose the flexible shields brings up another one, the extremely versatile shields of the Kimaris Vidar. Not only are they mounted on arms that let them cover most of the upper body but they have thrusters so they double as maneuvering aids and they contain the ammunition and most of the crucial mechanisms for the Dainsleif, with only the barrel being mounted separately.

While I'm thinking of unusual shields, there's also the Kyrios' shield whose lower half can split to form a claw (or to allow it to mount in flight mode without interfering with the 'wing'), has an extension mechanism which lets that claw rotate around independent of the arm and has a concealed blade for piercing attacks against whatever poor schmuck has been grappled with the claw.
MythSearcher

Suddenly thought of the Mega Beam Shield of V2.
One of a kind, never before seen shield surely should be considered unusual?

More mundane looking but actually unusual shields I can think of:
GP03S's folding shield. Surely we don't see folding shield a lot, and a folding shield that folds along the vertical line is even more unusual.
The collapsible shield of GP01 and GP04G is also pretty unusual(sadly they attached a new shield to the GP04G in Rebellion and Re:100) but they also have similar design in Gundam Mk-II so I guess it is not that unusual.

And it is pretty obvious that GP03 is a lance + shield design, and I'd say a MS sized I-Field generator is surely unusual for a MS.

There is also the miraculous First Gundam shield when it came out of the G-Fighter.
Two shield overlaps and became one single shield without increasing in thickness, that surely is an unusual design and Katoki actually mocked it by stacking two shields up in the Keroro Fix Figuration series.
Underrated GM Custom

Kuruni wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:07 am It's suppose to be grand-grand-grand-grabdfather of Catsiths shield in G-Reco. IIRC, it's less about leaving both arms free and nore about widen the range of shield coverage. You can't cover your right side or your back with the shield on left arm.

Also, I think defense rod from 00 worth a mentioned. It's basically a lightweight 'shield" that's as good for defense against light attack but possibly useless against heavt strike.
Oh interesting, I hadn't thought about the Catsith connection. The Grimoire design stood out to me a lot in G-Reco but most of the other Mecha didn't leave as much of an impression. I was thinking the Flexible Shield might be an evolution of the variable shield on the R-Jarja just less bulky.

While rotating a shield is useful for coverage, I'm still not quite sure how it moves fast enough to intercept high speed weaponry. Perhaps the on-board computer automatically rotates it to whatever enemy currently has a lock on you. And if there's multiple targets the pilot just manually overrides to their preferred position.

Never heard of the 00 Defense Rod, I'll have to look at that one up.

I'm beginning to like the concept of maneuvering thrusters in shields more. I started reading Sentinel this week and they mention that on the MK-V's shield. The Kimaris Vidar's shield with thrusters would serve the Sturm Gallus quite well, instead the suit curiously has almost 0 thrusters as I recall.

Kyrios is certainly one of the more successful claw shields, although as I recall he only uses it in crazy Hallelujah mode.

For folding shields there's also the Geara Doga and Marasai, although I believe those are folding to make storage, egress and maintenance easier. Same for GP03 when it comes to docking with the Dendrobium Orchis.

Do you have a link to the Kerero Fix Figuration, that sounds quite funny!