The Shoal Zone? (SPOILERS)

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mafty

The Shoal Zone? (SPOILERS)

Depending on the source Sides 4 or 5 are called the Shoal Zone. Is it supposed to be both sides? Side 4 is more commonly referred to as the Shoal Zone (unless you go by the continuity of the just the first series in which every side but 3,6, and 7 were). I know the sides were reassigned after the One Year War, so were 4 and 5 supposed to have been side by side and destroyed together?
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Shoal Zone? (SPOILERS)

Mafty wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:04 pm Depending on the source Sides 4 or 5 are called the Shoal Zone.
There's more than one shoal zone... shoal zones are areas where orbital trajectories, gravity, and other forces led to the debris from destroyed mobile suits, spaceships, and colonies being drawn together into dense debris fields. The catastrophic damage inflicted on Sides 4 and 5 in the One Year War made them both the site of shoal zones.

Mafty wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:04 pm I know the sides were reassigned after the One Year War, so were 4 and 5 supposed to have been side by side and destroyed together?
Nope... during the One Year War, the Sides were oriented as follows:
Earth-Moon Lagrange 1: Side 5 (Loum)
Earth-Moon Lagrange 2: Side 3 (Munzo/Zeon)
Earth-Moon Lagrange 3: Side 7 (Noa)
Earth-Moon Lagrange 4: Side 2 (Hatte) and Side 6 (Riah)
Earth-Moon Lagrange 5: Side 1 (Zahn) and Side 4 (Moore)

Sides 4 and 5 were separated by 60 degrees of lunar orbit, a distance of about 385,000km. Loum orbited between the Earth and the Moon, and Moore was following the same orbit as the moon but 60 degrees behind it.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Also, Side 5 is likely more dense as a shoal zone because that was where the biggest battle ever happened took place, the Battle of Loum.
This status at least lasted until around 0083, where Gato sunk a bunch of ships with a tactical nuke.
False Prophet

When did the name of all of the seven Sides were first given anyway? I actually has just talked to an old fan who remembered the days fanzines spelled Zeon "Gion".
Deathzealot

False Prophet wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:05 pm When did the name of all of the seven Sides were first given anyway? I actually has just talked to an old fan who remembered the days fanzines spelled Zeon "Gion".
Wasn't that Jion not Gion?

As for Shoal Zones there is also Corredigor (spelling?) Shoal Zone somewhere around Lagrange Two though I do not where the debris came from for that since Side Three, located at Lagrange Two really did not have any major battles happening there during much of the Universal Century. There is also the Zebra Zone though I do not know where that happens to be, though I heard something that had it somewhere at Lagrange Two.