Some questions about the GM lineage

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

Some questions about the GM lineage

- Is ther any notable difference between the standard GM, the GM Ground Type, and GM Type C? Which machine has more common part with the Gundam: the standard GM, or the GM Ground Type?

- Can we presume that the Armored GM was developed in respond to the late developments of the Dom line AKA Dowage, Dom Tropen, Dom Funf, etc.? I notice this since in GBO2 the Armored GM was the only hovering GM.

- Why the GM Cold District Type was the first of the new GM "Archetype" to be produced by Lunar II? Did Zeon have any noticable foothold on the poles during the OYW? The biggest base I could think of is the one way over Dublin (I played Ghiren's Greed).

- Would the GM Dominance fit into the existing timeline of the GM, giving that it was an Augusta machine and provided the data that led to the development of the GM Command?

- Why did the GM Sniper Custom was chosen to create the GM Interceptor Custom and the GM Guard Custom? Hadn't the EFF moved onto the GM Command platform by this time? Or was the GM Sniper Custom and its hardpoints made it easier to be converted into another MS with a completely different role?
Seto Kaiba

Re: Some questions about the GM lineage

All remarks sourced from Master Archive Mobile Suit: RGM-79 GM Volumes 1 and 2 unless noted otherwise.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:39 am - Is ther any notable difference between the standard GM, the GM Ground Type, and GM Type C?
The main differences between the RGM-79A initial production type and RGM-79C are structural refinements, but the RGM-79C has a refined version of the RGM-79[E] trial production type's backpack with more thrust than what was standard for the RGM-79A.

The RGM-79[G] is very different to the RGM-79A, as only 20% of their parts are shared and the other 80% is taken from the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:39 am Which machine has more common part with the Gundam: the standard GM, or the GM Ground Type?
As long as we're throwing it open to "any Gundam", that's be the Ground Type... it's 80% RX-79[G] parts.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:39 am - Can we presume that the Armored GM was developed in respond to the late developments of the Dom line AKA Dowage, Dom Tropen, Dom Funf, etc.? I notice this since in GBO2 the Armored GM was the only hovering GM.
So, from what I can find on Vol.2 of Master Archive Mobile Suit: RGM-79 GM... the RGM-79F was developed as a response to the MS-06D Zaku II Desert type, and the RGM-79FD was an improvement to the RGM-79F that was intended to address two different sets of requirements from the EFGF.

The first requirement was to improve the defensive ability of the RGM-79F's lower body to compensate for the lack of natural cover in its intended operating environment. The second was, yes, a response to the Principality adding the MS-09 Dom to their forces on the African front, and the EFGF wanting a MS with comparable mobility.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:39 am - Why the GM Cold District Type was the first of the new GM "Archetype" to be produced by Lunar II? Did Zeon have any noticable foothold on the poles during the OYW? The biggest base I could think of is the one way over Dublin (I played Ghiren's Greed).
There's a lot of cold climate locations outside of just the poles... Alaska, Scandinavia, northern Russia, etc.

As far as I can tell, the GM Cold Districts type was the first of the new model GMs because it proved the viability of a mobility-first strategic outlook and the viability of region-specific models.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:39 am - Would the GM Dominance fit into the existing timeline of the GM, giving that it was an Augusta machine and provided the data that led to the development of the GM Command?
It's not mentioned by the materials I have.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:39 am - Why did the GM Sniper Custom was chosen to create the GM Interceptor Custom and the GM Guard Custom? Hadn't the EFF moved onto the GM Command platform by this time? Or was the GM Sniper Custom and its hardpoints made it easier to be converted into another MS with a completely different role?
Presumably they wanted the GM Sniper Custom's specialized precision fire control system and long-range sensors.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:39 am - Is ther any notable difference between the standard GM, the GM Ground Type, and GM Type C? Which machine has more common part with the Gundam: the standard GM, or the GM Ground Type?
While it is not officially named so, it seems quite obvious that the RGM-79C is the 3rd standard GM being mass produced. The non-specified RGM-79 has the early type and late type, I'd like to view them as RGM-79A and RGM-79B.

Adding to what Seto said above, the [G] type is 80% compatible with the Gundam ground type, and both used parts from the RX models from V project. Main different from RX-78 is the cockpit block being replaced(no core fighter) and modified for ground use.(less vernier, more actuators and suspensions)
- Why did the GM Sniper Custom was chosen to create the GM Interceptor Custom and the GM Guard Custom? Hadn't the EFF moved onto the GM Command platform by this time? Or was the GM Sniper Custom and its hardpoints made it easier to be converted into another MS with a completely different role?
I'd say that while they are moving to the late type in the mass production, they still have tons of parts produced for the early types, and the SC is a unit with a spec comparable to the RX-78, it'd be perfectly reasonable to fully utilize its potential.
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:24 am While it is not officially named so, it seems quite obvious that the RGM-79C is the 3rd standard GM being mass produced. The non-specified RGM-79 has the early type and late type, I'd like to view them as RGM-79A and RGM-79B.
I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that's actually how Master Archive handles it. They do openly use the designation RGM-79A for the initial type.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:53 am
I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that's actually how Master Archive handles it. They do openly use the designation RGM-79A for the initial type.
Yes, RGM-79A designation has been seen, but I've never seen any official sources labelling the late type GM(the most basic form with no variation) as RGM-79B. Usually they are bunched up together and called RGM-79 with no letter like the MG manual, or the early type being called as the RGM-79A with no mention of what the late type is called.

The only thing that casts doubt to my hypothesis is the more recent trend of identifying the RGM-79D as the first late type GM, and what follows is the G and GS(Command and Command space) which seems to imply the late type doesn't have a basic form. I'd have to check Gundam Officials since I don't remember, but Enc. Ver.1.5 GM table is also kinda vague and can be interpretated as such.
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:01 pm Yes, RGM-79A designation has been seen, but I've never seen any official sources labelling the late type GM(the most basic form with no variation) as RGM-79B.
Well, I did check... and yes, Master Archive does in fact refer to the late model base GM as the RGM-79B.

MythSearcher wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:01 pm Usually they are bunched up together and called RGM-79 with no letter like the MG manual, or the early type being called as the RGM-79A with no mention of what the late type is called.
Master Archive also groups them in many references. It either goes without a variant letter, or refers to the two models as the "A/B type" as on page 20 of Vol.1.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 pm
MythSearcher wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:01 pm Yes, RGM-79A designation has been seen, but I've never seen any official sources labelling the late type GM(the most basic form with no variation) as RGM-79B.
Well, I did check... and yes, Master Archive does in fact refer to the late model base GM as the RGM-79B.

MythSearcher wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:01 pm Usually they are bunched up together and called RGM-79 with no letter like the MG manual, or the early type being called as the RGM-79A with no mention of what the late type is called.
Master Archive also groups them in many references. It either goes without a variant letter, or refers to the two models as the "A/B type" as on page 20 of Vol.1.
Good, then it is no longer my hypothesis and is official then, referring them as the 79A and 79B is much easier than referring them as 79 early type and 79 late type (basic non variant models)
I recall there is at least one book having a slightly different design for the 79A and B, is it the Master Archive or some earlier, more obscure book?
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:28 pm Good, then it is no longer my hypothesis and is official then, referring them as the 79A and 79B is much easier than referring them as 79 early type and 79 late type (basic non variant models)
Yup.

MythSearcher wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:28 pm I recall there is at least one book having a slightly different design for the 79A and B, is it the Master Archive or some earlier, more obscure book?
Must be an older, more obscure book because as far as I can tell Master Archive Mobile Suit: RGM-79 GM uses the same uncolored line art for the RGM-79A and RGM-79B. The only differences I can see comparing them side-by-side are in unit markings and the colors used for certain caution markings. Markings that were yellow were altered for visibility reasons to black or white.

The two examples I'm looking at are on Master Archive Mobile Suit: RGM-79 GM Volume 1's pages 44 and 45: a RGM-79A from the EFGF Jaburo Garrison's 01st MS Team (unit #101, presumably the team leader's) and an EFSF RGM-79B from the battleship Miranda's 03rd Attack Force "Three Stripes" (unit #301, presumably the team leader's). Apart from unit markings, the red trim on the A-type's wrists, skirt, and ankles was changed to white, as were some cautionary yellow "safe place to stand" lines on the MS's shoulders, and the EFF's star-anchor symbol was changed from yellow to white.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:52 am Must be an older, more obscure book because as far as I can tell Master Archive Mobile Suit: RGM-79 GM uses the same uncolored line art for the RGM-79A and RGM-79B. The only differences I can see comparing them side-by-side are in unit markings and the colors used for certain caution markings. Markings that were yellow were altered for visibility reasons to black or white.

The two examples I'm looking at are on Master Archive Mobile Suit: RGM-79 GM Volume 1's pages 44 and 45: a RGM-79A from the EFGF Jaburo Garrison's 01st MS Team (unit #101, presumably the team leader's) and an EFSF RGM-79B from the battleship Miranda's 03rd Attack Force "Three Stripes" (unit #301, presumably the team leader's). Apart from unit markings, the red trim on the A-type's wrists, skirt, and ankles was changed to white, as were some cautionary yellow "safe place to stand" lines on the MS's shoulders, and the EFF's star-anchor symbol was changed from yellow to white.
Found a sample page from the Chinese translation. (Page 6)
http://www.maplebook.com.tw/books.php?a ... e&bId=2128
I believe this is the one you are looking at.

Found it:
http://www01.toysdaily.com/discuz/forum ... 3D1&page=1
The 2nd picture in this post.
It was still referring to the late type as RGM-79G though.
The main difference seems to be the knee armour and opennings below the skirt armour, others are just refined lines.
False Prophet

So it is basically like this: Gundam => Ground Gundam => Ground GM => GM Early Type => GM => GM Type C => GM Custom => GM Quel => GM II?

How much data from the RX-78-2 was actually used for the development of the GM? I always presume that before the attack on Side 7, researchers had already accumulted a good amount of data from the RX-78-1, which was then used to develop the early GM models. It was later on that the EFF was able to retreive operational data from the RX-78-2 (before or after Matilda arrival, I don't know).

Also, why is the GM Type C is modelled after the Early Type and not the standard model? And how much did the GM Custom share with the Type C, considering that it is an attempt to mass produce the Alex Gundam?
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 pm Found a sample page from the Chinese translation. (Page 6)
http://www.maplebook.com.tw/books.php?a ... e&bId=2128
I believe this is the one you are looking at.
Yup, number six in that page.

MythSearcher wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 pm Found it:
http://www01.toysdaily.com/discuz/forum ... 3D1&page=1
The 2nd picture in this post.
It was still referring to the late type as RGM-79G though.
The main difference seems to be the knee armour and opennings below the skirt armour, others are just refined lines.
Hmmm. That'll make interesting reading for later.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:13 pm So it is basically like this: Gundam => Ground Gundam => Ground GM => GM Early Type => GM => GM Type C => GM Custom => GM Quel => GM II?
Nah, it's not one linear progression... the Gundam Ground Type and GM Early Type were parallel branches off the RX-78 Gundam. From the GM Early Type you get the GM Type A/B and the various regional types, then the GM C, then you start getting branches where we end up with the GM II and III on one side and the GM Quel on the other.

I tried drawing a diagram but honestly it looks like spaghetti at this point because the development is so heavily interrelated.

False Prophet wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:13 pm How much data from the RX-78-2 was actually used for the development of the GM? I always presume that before the attack on Side 7, researchers had already accumulted a good amount of data from the RX-78-1, which was then used to develop the early GM models. It was later on that the EFF was able to retreive operational data from the RX-78-2 (before or after Matilda arrival, I don't know).
Development of the GM series didn't stop when the first models rolled out... so the answer is "all of it, eventually".

As in the real world, development is an ongoing process and lessons learned from studying data collected by units in the field is used to further refine the design and to identify areas to improve in later block updates and future variants.

That's probably a big part of why Zeon ended up screwed... they were frantically focused on new models where the Federation was obsessively refining the GM.

False Prophet wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:13 pm Also, why is the GM Type C is modelled after the Early Type and not the standard model? And how much did the GM Custom share with the Type C, considering that it is an attempt to mass produce the Alex Gundam?
Only a few aspects of the GM Type C are modeled on the Early Type. It's mostly a combination of the refinements developed for the RGM-79A/B and the RGM-79D/G/GS.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:09 am
I tried drawing a diagram but honestly it looks like spaghetti at this point because the development is so heavily interrelated.

Someone did make one, though it is in simplified Chinese:
https://i.imgur.com/pOkt45R.jpg