How much have Colony Lasers changed?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

How much have Colony Lasers changed?

I wonder if there is any Japanese manuals that expand upon Colony Lasers. They are so simple, that it seems difficult to improve them. The only changes to Colony Lasers betweern 0070s and 0090s UC that I can think of are better energy-collecting and cooling systems.
Seto Kaiba

Re: How much have Colony Lasers changed?

False Prophet wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:35 am I wonder if there is any Japanese manuals that expand upon Colony Lasers.
There are a few brief mentions here than there, but for the most part the colony lasers aren't discussed in detail.

AFAIK, the only Colony Laser that has been discussed to the level of having its actual laser mechanism identified was the original Solar Ray system the Principality of Zeon deployed near the end of the One Year War. The Solar Ray was constructed as a pure Gas Dynamic Laser with an output power of 8,500 gigawatts. This was revised upwards in the third Mobile Suit Gundam movie to 8,500,000 gigawatts. They needed practically all of the energy generation capacity of the Principality to power the damn thing, and it broke down after just one shot.

The others, we're not even sure if they use the same technology to produce the laser... never mind how much power they require or produce, so we can't say for sure how the technology developed.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:53 pm There are a few brief mentions here than there, but for the most part the colony lasers aren't discussed in detail.

AFAIK, the only Colony Laser that has been discussed to the level of having its actual laser mechanism identified was the original Solar Ray system the Principality of Zeon deployed near the end of the One Year War. The Solar Ray was constructed as a pure Gas Dynamic Laser with an output power of 8,500 gigawatts. This was revised upwards in the third Mobile Suit Gundam movie to 8,500,000 gigawatts. They needed practically all of the energy generation capacity of the Principality to power the damn thing, and it broke down after just one shot.

The others, we're not even sure if they use the same technology to produce the laser... never mind how much power they require or produce, so we can't say for sure how the technology developed.
The official saying is there are "rumours" about EFF captured Solar Ray system after the OYW and Titans modified it to be Gryps 2. Nobody knows the truth.
So yes, they do not want you to know if they are the same thing or not.
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 am The official saying is there are "rumours" about EFF captured Solar Ray system after the OYW and Titans modified it to be Gryps 2. Nobody knows the truth.
So yes, they do not want you to know if they are the same thing or not.
One thing occurred to me... there's a shot of the interior of one of the later colony lasers, I think it was Gryps II, and it showed a massive cluster of flashlamps at the back end of the barrel. That could've been a solid state laser, rather than a gas dynamic one.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:00 pm One thing occurred to me... there's a shot of the interior of one of the later colony lasers, I think it was Gryps II, and it showed a massive cluster of flashlamps at the back end of the barrel. That could've been a solid state laser, rather than a gas dynamic one.
The shot is actually quite long, Hyakushiki, The O and Zeta battled in the colony laser. That scene has made into quite some games like Gundam Battle series and VS series.

Looks pretty different from the blue print of the OYW Solar Ray if you ask me.

I know that Gryps 2 is reused in 0096(Unicorn), can't think of any later uses that is canon.