Wing: G-Unit's accelerate rifle

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Wingnut

Wing: G-Unit's accelerate rifle

I've long been wondering just exactly what this weapon used by the Geminass is. The G Generation games aren't much help to me. I was theorizing if the gun was similar to the UC VSBR given the name in that it had more than one firing mode and that one mode sped up the fired particles to a more barrier penetrateing degree. Could this be true or am I off my rocker :?:
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Seto Kaiba

Re: Wing: G-Unit's accelerate rifle

Wingnut wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:55 pm I've long been wondering just exactly what this weapon used by the Geminass is. The G Generation games aren't much help to me. I was theorizing if the gun was similar to the UC VSBR given the name in that it had more than one firing mode and that one mode sped up the fired particles to a more barrier penetrateing degree. Could this be true or am I off my rocker :?:
The Japanese wiki says it's a helical particle accelerator firing a muon particle beam.

It's described as having a built-in electromagnetic capacitor system that can be used to fire a more powerful "hyper shot".

Not quite analogous to a VSBR, I suppose.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:29 am The Japanese wiki says it's a helical particle accelerator firing a muon particle beam.

It's described as having a built-in electromagnetic capacitor system that can be used to fire a more powerful "hyper shot".

Not quite analogous to a VSBR, I suppose.
So a railgun, but instead of firing slug it fires supercharged particles?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:51 am So a railgun, but instead of firing slug it fires supercharged particles?
Most unusually for Gundam, the G-Unit's accelerate rifle is an utterly conventional charged particle beam cannon... the kind of garden variety directed energy weapon you'd expect to find in most any science fiction series where DEWs exist. It's basically a weaponized, supercompact version of the particle accelerators used for radiation therapy and to carry out high-energy physics experiments. You could call it a second cousin to MOSPEADA's synchrotron cannon technology, which literally was just a weaponized compact synchrotron particle accelerator.

Unlike mega-particle weapons, which create a particle beam by focusing the energy of fusing Minovsky particles into mega particles using a containment field, this muon particle beam weapon uses a muon source and electromagnetic fields to accelerate the muons to a nontrivial fraction of the speed of light.

The electromagnetic capacitor is kind of like a can of nitrous to an engine... you can throw that extra power into the system to improve its output power for a short period of time.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Wingnut

I see. Good to finally know, though the gun comes across as a tad vanilla compared to other weapons in the franchise IMO.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Seto Kaiba

Wingnut wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:36 pm I see. Good to finally know, though the gun comes across as a tad vanilla compared to other weapons in the franchise IMO.
I'm not sure I'd call it "vanilla"... the norm in Gundam is various types of exotic particle beam weaponry which use whatever magic particles exist in that version of Gundam and the occasional large-scale laser weapon. I'd say the G-Unit's accelerate rifle is a standout weapon by virtue of being the only example thus far of an EM particle accelerator-based beam weapon.

A muon particle beam rifle would be a NASTY piece of work in the Gundam universe... the muon's mass is over 200 times that of an electron but it carries the same charge, so a muon particle beam is going to achieve the same disruptive effects of an electron particle beam but with vastly superior penetration power and less energy loss to deceleration radiation. It should also theoretically be more precise over range than a Minovsky beam weapon since there aren't opposing-charge particles in the beam causing it to lose collimation.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Iruga

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 am
Wingnut wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:36 pm I see. Good to finally know, though the gun comes across as a tad vanilla compared to other weapons in the franchise IMO.
I'm not sure I'd call it "vanilla"... the norm in Gundam is various types of exotic particle beam weaponry which use whatever magic particles exist in that version of Gundam and the occasional large-scale laser weapon. I'd say the G-Unit's accelerate rifle is a standout weapon by virtue of being the only example thus far of an EM particle accelerator-based beam weapon.

A muon particle beam rifle would be a NASTY piece of work in the Gundam universe... the muon's mass is over 200 times that of an electron but it carries the same charge, so a muon particle beam is going to achieve the same disruptive effects of an electron particle beam but with vastly superior penetration power and less energy loss to deceleration radiation. It should also theoretically be more precise over range than a Minovsky beam weapon since there aren't opposing-charge particles in the beam causing it to lose collimation.
What does the Japanese wiki say about the BR/TBR and does that compare with the G-UNIT tech?
Seto Kaiba

Iruga wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:21 pm What does the Japanese wiki say about the BR/TBR and does that compare with the G-UNIT tech?
With regard to the nature of the weapon itself... not much. There's a line cited as from a 1/100 MG kit manual that suggests the Buster rifle and Twin Buster rifle are something analogous to a mega-particle beam rifle from the UC in that it uses an energy cartridge system containing precompressed particles of unspecified nature that are catalyzed using energy from the mobile suit's reactor into a high-velocity plasma beam.

Nothing is said in the Wiki about the actual level of firepower of the Gundam Geminass's accelerate rifle. What the wiki has to say about the firepower of the buster rifles is a beautiful case for why it's a terrible idea to cite toy and model kit packaging as reference material... because it's BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
Spoiler
It tries to claim that the Wing Gundam's buster rifle has a per-shot output power comparable to the daily electrical consumption of a medium-sized city, and the Wing Gundam Zero's twin buster rifle more than double that. With the Wing Gundam and Wing Gundam Zero having reactor outputs of less than four megawatts, a rough-order estimate of what constitutes a "medium-sized" city based on Japanese demographics and average per capita energy consumption would require the Wing Gundam to run its reactor at full power for more than 64 days to recharge ONE of its buster rifle's three cartridges and over half a year to top off all three... and a whopping 130 days for the Wing Gundam Zero's reactor running continuously at full power to provide enough energy for a single shot of its twin buster rifle.

Either there are SEVERAL zeros missing from the reactor outputs of the Gundams, or Doctor J and his cohorts did the literally impossible, tore up the laws of physics and started over, violating conservation of energy six ways to sunday in the process, and built a practical overunity-capable generator with an efficiency of 1.12 MILLION PERCENT on their quest to cause death and destruction in the name of colonial independence.
TL;DR: Gundam Wing stats are a pile of hot nonsense.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 am It should also theoretically be more precise over range than a Minovsky beam weapon since there aren't opposing-charge particles in the beam causing it to lose collimation.
Isn't it that opposing charge helps neutralize the beam and keep it to stay together, other than having the same charge which they repel each other, which will also cause the beam to lose collimation?

Also, Vayeate is the only specific Minovsky Particle beam weapon in the AC universe, only shown in a blue print shot in show as a freeze screen bonus.
Most UC beam weapons aren't shooting out Minovsk particles other than those beam sabre/gun hybrids for short range surprise shots/life threatening situations.

Mega particles are neutrally charged and thus its range is solely based on the dispersion rate. Problem is, we don't know the rate, which, if we take the Sentinel account of FAZZ VS Xeku Eins, they don't disperse enough to affect their anti-MS power that much in 3s & a few ten thousand km away, or if you don't want to accept that as cannon, the 79SP's Beam Sniper is said to have only a few cm error at 1000km. However, if we take into account Minovsky Physics settings, they should have a really high dispersion rate because of its Tau force. Minovsky Particles, when scattered, disperse really fast even with opposing e-charge pulling them together to form an I-Field lattice because the Tau force is pushing them apart. Their e-charge is anything but weak, being able to damage unprotected (military grade) electronics. Not the first thing with conflicting info though.