Gundam Wing: No Mobile Amours?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Iruga

Gundam Wing: No Mobile Amours?

I had a random thought, is Gundam Wing's After Colony universe the only one without any mobile armours in it? I did a quick look around the other timelines, but every one seems to have a least one MA.
Seto Kaiba

Re: Gundam Wing: No Mobile Amours?

Hm... I don't recall there being any Mobile Armors in Mobile Fighter G Gundam's Future Century either. Those two were made more or less back-to-back.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Arsarcana

Neo-Japan had a MA in the Fantoma. Offhand I can't think of any Mobile Armors in Wing, unless you count the Scorpio which starts in MA-form and then undergoes a one-way transition into MS-form.
Iruga

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:08 pm Hm... I don't recall there being any Mobile Armors in Mobile Fighter G Gundam's Future Century either. Those two were made more or less back-to-back.
I guess there are some MA that are never called out as MA like Devil Gundam. It might have started out as a MS/MF, but ends up being a MA.
Kuruni

G has Fantoma.
W doesn't has MA. Epyon, Griepe, and Scorpio have MA form but there's no full MA.
Turn A surprisely classified WoDom as MS. ディアナ・カウンターが正暦2345年の第一次帰還作戦で使用した主力モビルスーツ。 Again, Muttowoo has MA form.
Similarly, Age classified Sid as MS, here, as well as Defurse. I think it's same case for Gurdolin.

I'm also pretty sure that several SD Gundam lack MA siince they become monsters :p .
My girlfriend was a loli.
stormturmoil

For Wing specifically, an argument could be made that the Mobile Doll system as a whole takes the role usually associated with the Mobile Armour; that the Mobile Doll system collectively counts as a sort of distributed Mobile armour in effect.
MythSearcher

Getting back to the original MA idea in OYW, it is at first a contender for the next generation mobile weapons against the MS, where the MIP's MIP-X1 entered the competition against the Zeonic's AMBAC tester, which I'd like to unofficially call ZI-XA1. (Because the predecessor of MS-01 is ZI-XA3 and there is a un-numbered hand-less test type before it for testing the walking capabilities as the ZI-XA2, the ZI-XA1 was never mentioned but the first of the line is the one entering the competition so I call it that)
MIP-X1 was not chosen because it ran out of propellant in 10 mins, but the idea of equipping a mega particle on a mobile weapon sounds interesting (the MIP-X1 had a mock mega particle cannon), at least before Zeon can minimize it to fit on an MS and especially when EFSF started using MSs with beam guns. The line developed is MA-4X, MA-05, MA-06, MAM-07 all of which are basically a bigger version of MIP-X1 with a pair of manipulators.(ironically, this is pretty much the form of ZI-XA1) and these acted as pretty the role of gunships or tank destroyers. They are supposed to be more mobile than warships, but still packed the punch, and used mainly against ships with AA guns against MSs. With less manipulators(and less sophisticated ones), they can have a better armour mass to thickness ratio, and may even be cheaper than higher end MSs.(Other than MAN-08 which is in the same line of development)
Later in the war, Zeon also had to have platforms to test out new technologies, and the MS is too small a base, so they used larger bases, which are Apsarus(M-Craft), MA-08(I-Field), MAN-03 and MAN-08(Psychommu), etc. And when they needed to turn the tides of the war towards the end, they basically just tried everything and these are used as a hope as a decisive weapon.
After the war, the EFF seems to have caught on to the test platform aspect of this and had a few themselves (like the Psycho Gundam series, when they had trouble minimizing the Psychommu system) but they never needed a decisive weapon since they have all the resources and doesn't have a real enemy that can really threaten them. While enemies of EF seems to catch on with the idea of a decisive weapon and build MAs for that specific purpose.
Other than CE, most series seems to still view MA more or less as these purposes.(While CE basically just means any mobile weapon without limbs or fighters/space fighters)

In Wing, we really don't see any reason for the factions to develop MAs.
The UESA and OZ had superior power, and isn't constantly testing new technology, the Space colonies who sent out the Gundams had superior technologies because the 5 doctors are on their side and the Gundams are in the position of decisive weapons. WF basically appropriated lots of resources and MD manufacturing facilities from OZ AND both OZ and WF are not really trying to win the war but just fight a seriously damaging war to show people how bad war is. Gundam pilots are just using the Gundams and have no real resources or need for developing new weapons.