Dijeh - Is it really Earth-only?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
TDR-10M Thunderbolt

Dijeh - Is it really Earth-only?

With its inclusion in Gundam Narrative, I've been curious about the Dijeh. It is often spoken of as a Earth/atmosphere-only MS, but I have to wonder... is this truly so?

The usual source I see for it is video games, such as Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam classifying it as a land-use-only MS. SD Gundam Online also gave it the Land terrain type, but SDGO had tons of issues. In contrast, Super Robot Taisen Z let the Dijeh go into space with no trouble whatsoever.

Is there anything in official sources (since games aren't official) that actually indicates Dijehs are Earth/atmosphere only? Or is it possible they work in space just fine?
Dark Duel

Re: Dijeh - Is it really Earth-only?

As far as I know, no official source has ever depicted an unmodified Dijeh operating in space - except for one brief shot in an in-universe promotional video that showed a visually unmodified Dijeh in space engaging(and curb-stomping) the Freedom, but BF is...weird.

Within the specific context of the Universal Century, the basic, unmodified Dijeh AFAIK has only ever been seen operating on Earth. Moon Gundam specifically introduced the Rick Dijeh as a modified space-use variant of the Dijeh for Amuro to use. The Dijeh Char Aznable Custom from MSV-R: The Return of Johnny Ridden was likewise modified using the binders of the space-capable Schuzrum Dias.

This, to me, tends to confirm that the Dijeh is not designed to operate in space. Theoretically, I suppose there's nothing stopping a pilot from launching in a Dijeh in space, but then you'd run into a scenario like what happened to Kou when he took the unmodified and improperly calibrated GP01 into space combat - and that ended badly.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

The Dijeh by default is an Earth-only mobile suit. In the current Moon Gundam manga, Amuro uses a Rick Dijeh, which has been modified for space combat using Rick Dias parts:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/moon/msk-008r.htm
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

The regular Dijeh's info states that its backpack with the radiator fins are made for limited atmospheric flight which for UC 0087 was still pretty rare for non-transforming MS, so that's one reason why its a ground unit only. And like Chris stated above, the Rick Dijeh has the backpack replaced for more general use in space.

Gundam Narrative shows a couple of Dijehs that are flying by themselves without a subflight unit.
TDR-10M Thunderbolt

The Dijehs flying without a SFS surprised me, since Amuro's Dijeh needed one for flight in Zeta episodes.

Ah well. In any case, this is a pretty thorough set of answers. Thanks for the info, everyone!
E08

yazi88 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:11 pm The regular Dijeh's info states that its backpack with the radiator fins are made for limited atmospheric flight which for UC 0087 was still pretty rare for non-transforming MS, so that's one reason why its a ground unit only. And like Chris stated above, the Rick Dijeh has the backpack replaced for more general use in space.

Gundam Narrative shows a couple of Dijehs that are flying by themselves without a subflight unit.
I have doubts about the backpack being for limited atmospheric flight. No such capability is mentioned in the HGUC and RE 1/100 manuals; both only mentioned that the radiator fins have antennas for improved communication capabilities. Additionally, both manuals also attributed the Dijeh's mobility to the leg-mounted jet thrusters.

A careful look at the battle in Narrative also shows that the Dijehs are not really flying. They are fighting in the air using rocket assisted jumps or using the thrusters to change direction to attack the aerial enemy units.
yazi88

Ah, my bad. I thought the fins would've helped with the engines for a bit longer flight, but it seems the ground components were in the legs for the rocket jumps and hovering...
TDR-10M Thunderbolt

I have a related question.

The Dijehs were shown to be clearly quite effective, even in 0097. Would this suggest that other peers, such as the Doven Wolf, Bawoo, Schuzrum Dias, Dreissen, and so on are also still viable machines at that time against typical production units such as Jegan, GM III, Geara Zulu, Geara Doga?
yazi88

TDR-10M Thunderbolt wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:31 am I have a related question.

The Dijehs were shown to be clearly quite effective, even in 0097. Would this suggest that other peers, such as the Doven Wolf, Bawoo, Schuzrum Dias, Dreissen, and so on are also still viable machines at that time against typical production units such as Jegan, GM III, Geara Zulu, Geara Doga?
Its up to the pilot skills more than anything else. Performance wise Jegans/GM III/Doga/Zulu are not that great but are made for ease of production and general purpose. Dijeh was a good performance unit from its era that was also optimized for ground battles, it has a advantage in close combat because of its naginata. Also depends on what terrain too.

Doven Wolf is not fast but is very armed and fulled with many weapons. Bawoo is still a good performance unit compared to most of the newer units in 0097. Schuzrum Dias only has its beam cannons going for it cause other wise its not too much different from a Rick Dias. As for the Dressein... it would be more effective if it had its beam axe rather than the heat sabers from Unicorn era although its beam cannons are useful in battle along with its bazooka, not to mention its also faster than Jegan/GM/Geara units too.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Most later Neo Zeon units from the Zeta / ZZ era were high(er) performance (intended for) mass production models (exceptions being much more simple stuff like the Gaza-C and D, and others not reaching the mass production stage due to the internal conflicts like the Geymalk) and would more than likely be capable of keeping up with or surpassing later mass production models used by the Federation and Second Neo Zeon / Sleeves.

As mentioned, most later mass production models were more about ease of production and versatility rather than sheer power and high performance.

Heck, with a good enough pilot, a Heavygun / G-Cannon was still capable of fighting off modern Crossbone Vanguard Den'on mobile suits ten years newer than them.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet