The lack of combining mecha on the MAHQ website

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
WildeHopps_Shipper

The lack of combining mecha on the MAHQ website

A lot of mecha that I look up on MAHQ tend to be non-combining real robots, but almost no combining super robots like Voltron or the Megazord. So why isn't that website discussing famous combining mecha like Getter Robo, Combattler V and Voltes V, all the way up to Voltron and the Megazord?
Chris
Administrator

Re: The lack of combining mecha on the MAHQ website

Because I discuss what I feel like discussing?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kuruni

If you want to start discussion, go ahead. If it match people interest here, it will get response.
My girlfriend was a loli.
WildeHopps_Shipper

Chris wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:00 am Because I discuss what I feel like discussing?
I just checked your profile, and it turns out that you're the creator of MAHQ, or at least a moderator.

And also, you're not that interested in combining mecha at all, right? If so, why, outside of just discussing what you feel like discussing?
Seto Kaiba

WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:47 am A lot of mecha that I look up on MAHQ tend to be non-combining real robots, but almost no combining super robots like Voltron or the Megazord. So why isn't that website discussing famous combining mecha like Getter Robo, Combattler V and Voltes V, all the way up to Voltron and the Megazord?
The personal tastes of the site's creators aside, there's not usually much in the way of meaningful technical info for super robot shows. Super robots tend to be powered by magic and manifest new powers as the plot demands, so it doesn't make for particularly interesting reading.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
yazi88

WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:42 am
I just checked your profile, and it turns out that you're the creator of MAHQ, or at least a moderator.

And also, you're not that interested in combining mecha at all, right? If so, why, outside of just discussing what you feel like discussing?
There are probably some other sites for combining mechs from super robot shows or sentai. You can probably find some discussions about Gaogaigar via the anime thread, but the mechanics of combining mechs is not that interesting to talk about because of the super robot nature.
Kuruni

The funny thing is that he pick Megazord. While several Super Sentai series have quite interesting info regarding the mech, most of it is stripped away when adapted to Power Ranger.

Again, if there's anything you want to discuss, you ebtter start it yourself. Our policy is no politic or religion, not "no combiner or super robot show".
WildeHopps_Shipper

Kuruni wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:02 am The funny thing is that he pick Megazord. While several Super Sentai series have quite interesting info regarding the mech, most of it is stripped away when adapted to Power Ranger.

Again, if there's anything you want to discuss, you ebtter start it yourself. Our policy is no politic or religion, not "no combiner or super robot show".
Yeah, it's just that Power Rangers and Super Sentai are both two entirely different shows, despite them featuring some of the same footage as each other. So I'm sorry if I brought up the wrong thing.

And yeah, speaking of Super Sentai, a few years ago I once went on the Super Sentai Network on Facebook, and watched fansubs of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, Ressha Sentai ToQger, and Shuriken Sentai Ninninger. So from those series plus other Super Sentai series I missed, and how they used their own combining mecha, I should have an idea of what a combining mecha would have been like, including Zyuranger and Daizyujin, just as much as I would the Megazord from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
Chris
Administrator

All of the above reasons listed sum up why super robots aren't covered on MAHQ. I like watching super robot anime just fine, but technical information is hard to come by. Also, I don't care for tokusatsu shows, so that's that.
WildeHopps_Shipper

Chris wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:45 pm All of the above reasons listed sum up why super robots aren't covered on MAHQ. I like watching super robot anime just fine, but technical information is hard to come by. Also, I don't care for tokusatsu shows, so that's that.
And what about real robots that are combining mecha themselves, like the ZZ Gundam or any other mobile suit that uses the core block system?
Seto Kaiba

WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:57 pm And what about real robots that are combining mecha themselves, like the ZZ Gundam or any other mobile suit that uses the core block system?
Eh... the overwhelming majority of those designs are not combining mecha. They're modular.

The key distinction is whether or not the individual pieces can operate on their own. Combining mecha are mecha made up of two or more smaller mecha that can operate as standalone units or join together to become the larger, more powerful mecha. Core Block-based mobile suits aren't like that. Only one of the component parts is capable of standalone operation: the Core Fighter. The other parts can't be used without it.

The ZZ Gundam's the only one in Gundam that leaps to mind that could be called a true combining mecha, as each of its parts can fight as a standalone combat aircraft.

There are plenty of those already covered.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm
WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:57 pm And what about real robots that are combining mecha themselves, like the ZZ Gundam or any other mobile suit that uses the core block system?
Eh... the overwhelming majority of those designs are not combining mecha. They're modular.

The key distinction is whether or not the individual pieces can operate on their own. Combining mecha are mecha made up of two or more smaller mecha that can operate as standalone units or join together to become the larger, more powerful mecha. Core Block-based mobile suits aren't like that. Only one of the component parts is capable of standalone operation: the Core Fighter. The other parts can't be used without it.

The ZZ Gundam's the only one in Gundam that leaps to mind that could be called a true combining mecha, as each of its parts can fight as a standalone combat aircraft.

There are plenty of those already covered.
Just adding to this list, S Gundam's G-Attacker, G-Bomber and G-Core can all operate on its own, but just like ZZ, I only view the core as an escape pod that shaped like a plane because it has minimal fighting capability.

Gunbarrel Strike and 00R kinda fits the combining mecha as well...? Surely lacks the reason to combine(the second pilot does nothing after combining), but kinda?
Kuruni

For 00 Raiser, it's likely that Saji also monitor and adjust 00's Twin Drives, he just doesn't has to actively do it.

Irony, the issue is first (AFAIK) mentioned in Xabungle, whoever drivinng Bungle Rover cannot do anything after combination. That being said, one of the usual justification of combination is that the power source would has much higher power output in combined state that it become unstable and only safe to activate for short period. So if Component A is clearly the main combat unit, it doesn't really matter if Component B serve any purpose after combination (of course, it does matter in Super Robot story, thank to power of friendship. So a combination of Evil Mecha A + Robotic Mech B will eventually defeated by BFF combination of Mech A + Mech B, even if the first one is superior in everyway).
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:56 am For 00 Raiser, it's likely that Saji also monitor and adjust 00's Twin Drives, he just doesn't has to actively do it.

Irony, the issue is first (AFAIK) mentioned in Xabungle, whoever drivinng Bungle Rover cannot do anything after combination. That being said, one of the usual justification of combination is that the power source would has much higher power output in combined state that it become unstable and only safe to activate for short period. So if Component A is clearly the main combat unit, it doesn't really matter if Component B serve any purpose after combination (of course, it does matter in Super Robot story, thank to power of friendship. So a combination of Evil Mecha A + Robotic Mech B will eventually defeated by BFF combination of Mech A + Mech B, even if the first one is superior in everyway).
Well, a two pilot vehicle has the advantage of separating the tasks and helping the pilots focus.
It is pretty hard to control a vehicle to dodge attacks and try to attack the enemy at the same time unless you have self guided weapons. So the power of friendship is true to a certain extend, especially in settings like Gundam, where you don't have self guided weapons.
So Saji not doing much is not really justified, even if he got really poor aim, he can at least monitor the sensors to minimize enemies Setsuna may have missed to notice.
Chris
Administrator

WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:57 pmAnd what about real robots that are combining mecha themselves, like the ZZ Gundam or any other mobile suit that uses the core block system?
I don't understand what the point of this question is.
Seto Kaiba

Chris wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:47 am I don't understand what the point of this question is.
I think he(?) was asking if "combining" real robots had sufficient technical information to be covered on MAHQ...

Kuruni wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:56 am For 00 Raiser, it's likely that Saji also monitor and adjust 00's Twin Drives, he just doesn't has to actively do it.
He's ballast, that's all... unless the Trans-Am Raiser uses "LUISUUUUUUU!" as its activation code...
The Macross Mecha Manual
WildeHopps_Shipper

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 am
Chris wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:47 am I don't understand what the point of this question is.
I think he(?) was asking if "combining" real robots had sufficient technical information to be covered on MAHQ...
Exactly my point, outside of just the ZZ Gundam alone.
Chris
Administrator

WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:38 pm
Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 am
Exactly my point, outside of just the ZZ Gundam alone.
Well, the fact that real robots like the ZZ and more are easily found on MAHQ should answer that question...
Seto Kaiba

WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:38 pm Exactly my point, outside of just the ZZ Gundam alone.
Well, as others noted earlier, there are a least a few examples of true combiners in Gundam which have been covered in a fair amount of detail on MAHQ already.

The modular stuff is almost invariably well documented, though typically only in the fully assembled form and the single independently operable module (Core Fighter.

Combiners are pretty rare in real robot works for practicality and realism reasons, so I'm not sure if I could say that they're usually given decent coverage or not... I don't have a big enough sample size to say. :|
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm Combiners are pretty rare in real robot works for practicality and realism reasons, so I'm not sure if I could say that they're usually given decent coverage or not... I don't have a big enough sample size to say. :|
I don't recall ZZ in show, S Gundam does have a scene with them launched as 3 seprate units because their numbers are not enough and combined during battle because they will have no means of winning against an enemy with overwhelming specs separated. For realism purposes, they had teammates covering their combination and lost teammates because of that.

The author have this part written just to illustrate how stupid the combining mecha idea is, and I totally agree with him.

The sample size is just reasonably small, Gundam has some combining just because of the time period it was released and toy companies loved the idea(so their toys have more gadget, hey, we had transforming pencil cases back then. Ok, maybe we still have them now...)
Most real robot genre don't have combining mecha, maybe sans Gunbuster, which is disguised as super robot (if you look into it, you will find that it is actually in a setting much more real robot than super robot, it has mass-production units that has comparative stats to the heroic titular mecha that is not efficient)
Combining mecha is just pushing the boundaries of suspension of disbelief a bit too far, and in order to keep the realism in real robot, you can't really have a combining mecha and still have the audience believe the show to be realistic, even just transforming sequences have a very hard time doing so.
It is getting harder and harder for combining mecha to be believable as information gets easier and easier to access, and people communicate better to understand the world for better or for worse.(also getting more extreme cases where we get people who do more research in the real world and learnt that most of the machines we have don't transform or combine, and on the other hand more people who simply dismiss fictional shows as all fictional, won't believe in anything in it including real world references and will not find realism in them thus real robot shows are boring to them)
I can't think of any real robot show that has combining mecha other than Tomino Gundam and shows following the tradition and not really trying to get more realistic(not saying that is a bad thing, we all know being too realistic usually loses audience).
A good example is the SRX team in SRW. Each of the units R-1 to R-3 and R-Gun has the R stands for Real robot, but the combined SRX stands for Super Robot X to show the combining is a super robot genre staple.